Looking to upgrade, but some questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

danny4x4

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
London
I am currently using an ego twist and was wondering if devices like the lava tube, or Vamo will make any difference.
For example, let's say I take a vape using an ego twist. I then take out the clearo and use it on a lava tube or Vamo. Woud there be a huge difference in taste/throat hit? Would I go "WOW!!!" or "Meeeh. No difference."

Oh, and the Provari is out of my league. So, would appreciate it if anybody can give me some opinions on what they think, excluding the Provari. :)

Thanks!

NoEmotionz

ECF Veteran
Sep 14, 2011
Augusta, GA
Never used one, so my two cents probably isn't going to be worth much. But what I can say, certain set ups deliver more vapor, some offer more throat hit, and some are a combination of the two. I'm sure there are plenty of people that have had to go through trial and error to find their "nirvana". I know I'm not close to the set up I would like, but it's going to take some time, and that's trial and error and tinkering with new toys.

Thompson

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2012
North of NorCal
They won't significantly change the vapor production side of things. You'll have a wider voltage range, & vw for convenience of changing delivery systems. You also get batteries cheaper since you buy them separately, and don't have to replace the entire device.

Aesthetically they look better with bigger delivery systems to me.

Faxed in on the Mojo Wire

danny4x4

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
London
Never used one, so my two cents probably isn't going to be worth much. But what I can say, certain set ups deliver more vapor, some offer more throat hit, and some are a combination of the two. I'm sure there are plenty of people that have had to go through trial and error to find their "nirvana". I know I'm not close to the set up I would like, but it's going to take some time, and that's trial and error and tinkering with new toys.

I bet none of us are close to a set up we would like. There's always something out there to try.
I love tinkering with new toys,....but I'm way,way over budget. Tinkered too much. So, trying to find something I can stick with for the time being.

Lava Tube, Vamo, or stick with the Twists?

NoEmotionz

ECF Veteran
Sep 14, 2011
Augusta, GA
I bet none of us are close to a set up we would like. There's always something out there to try.
I love tinkering with new toys,....but I'm way,way over budget. Tinkered too much. So, trying to find something I can stick with for the time being.

Lava Tube, Vamo, or stick with the Twists?

Hm.. the lava tube should be good, aswell as the vamo. But don't forget you could end up getting the vamo, and realizing you might prefer the lava tube instead. What is life without risks right? Personal suggestion, I would go with the lava tube.

danny4x4

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
London
They won't significantly change the vapor production side of things. You'll have a wider voltage range, & vw for convenience of changing delivery systems. You also get batteries cheaper since you buy them separately, and don't have to replace the entire device.
Faxed in on the Mojo Wire
Thanks. I was just hoping that the Vamo or Lava Tube would make a huge difference in taste and throat hit, even though my brain tells me it wouldn't.
Although the batteries are changeable and can last longer, my worry now is that the device itself would fail. With the twist, it's not that big a deal cause I would be happy if they last more than 6 months.
Thanks for your input!

danny4x4

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
London
I've been looking into the bigger systems as well, but from what I've seen, the vapor/th is not going to change from going to these, unless you go mechanical? (correct me if I'm wrong) My reasoning for looking into them is for battery life, I kill both my 1000 mah ego vv's in a day, and want something that can keep up for a day. Figure I'm going to try the evic, because 1. It's joyetech, and 2. The screen offers so much info without having to figure out which button to press first. The Vamo was my second choice, but mainly because I can't seem to find Canadian suppliers who actually take credit cards, since my bank doesn't offer e-transfers, and choices are limited from this small assortment of vendors.

The only thing I've seen said about a change in vapor/th, is when they talk about high quality devices like the ProVari, PBusardo says it is always consistent, where some of the cheaper ones aren't.

if you're looking to upgrade, get a vamo, or even an innokin svd. the svd just came out, so it may be hard to find one...but i have both and they perform similarly and have almost exactly the same specs and range. vamo is cheaper, and just comes with the tube, no batteries, no nothing. it's a simple, sleek looking device. the svd, on the other hand, costs $100 and comes with 2 iclear30 tanks in a really nicelypacked little box. also, the svd looks like a lightsaber!!! as far as a difference in performance, at the same voltage/wattage settings with the same atomizer setup, you won't notice much of a difference other than consistency...but you have the ability to almost double that power level at the touch of a button, and with VW mode, you can just pop a different atty/carto/tank/rba whatever on there and regardless of the resistance of your atty, the vamo or svd will give you the power you want without changing anything. if/when you eventually feel like upgrading, either of these devices will run just about any atomizer you can screw onto them, as long as they're above 1.2 ohms. the lavatube is junk in my opinion...i've seen a lot of them break, their customer service is nonexistant, and it doesn't do VW! hope some of this helps!

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
It depends. 8 watts is 8 watts--no matter if it comes from a Twist or a ProVari. If you're happy with 6-9 watts vaping range, you do not need anything more powerful. However, if you need (or want) for some reason to venture into serious high wattage vaping, or use RBAs (rebuildable atomizers), then a APV is a must.

I am happy with my Twists and Spinners because I don't need any more heat than they can supply. I believe most people find their sweet spot in that range.

Good luck and happy vaping.

danny4x4

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
London
It depends. 8 watts is 8 watts--no matter if it comes from a Twist or a ProVari. If you're happy with 6-9 watts vaping range, you do not need anything more powerful.

That's what I thought too. I was just trying to convince myself that a Vamo or Lava Tube would make a difference to my vapes. :)

Thanks to everyone who gave their input!

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
I've been looking into the bigger systems as well, but from what I've seen, the vapor/th is not going to change from going to these, unless you go mechanical? (correct me if I'm wrong) My reasoning for looking into them is for battery life, I kill both my 1000 mah ego vv's in a day, and want something that can keep up for a day. Figure I'm going to try the evic, because 1. It's joyetech, and 2. The screen offers so much info without having to figure out which button to press first. The Vamo was my second choice, but mainly because I can't seem to find Canadian suppliers who actually take credit cards, since my bank doesn't offer e-transfers, and choices are limited from this small assortment of vendors.

The only thing I've seen said about a change in vapor/th, is when they talk about high quality devices like the ProVari, PBusardo says it is always consistent, where some of the cheaper ones aren't.

There is a 1300 mAh Vision Spinner. It's huge, though. Not as big as a VAMO, but quite big. :D

jfango

ECF Veteran
Mar 18, 2013
Salisbury MO
VW is what you want, I wouldn't listen to anyone's advice saying to get a VV. VV is old school, and as for Provari, they need to get up to date modern technology and come out with VW, hey I might even buy one myself if they do. (sry Provari fans, but I'm just telling it like it is) So a Vamo or Zmax would be ok, or most any large battery capacity VW. Then save yourself a lot of time, expense, and endless fiddling with gadgets and get Kanger Evod BCC's. No dry hits even when using thick all VG juice, lots and lots of vapor, super easy to use and rebuild or simply replace coils too. If you should ever get too much gurgling or flooding, (I never have had that problem) you can simply add some more wick or replace with new wick. If you find the draw to be a bit too easy, which some of us do, just poke the end of sharp toothpicks into one or two of the intake holes aound the bottom and snap them off.

Last edited:

Kanj.nguyen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 18, 2013
Princeton, NJ
Short answer is: no. Twist or VAMO or lave, they are just batteries.

So, why do people buy big APVs like the VAMO?

It offers you a wider range of power output. Since the lower end (3.2 to 4.8 volt) is covered by the Twist, the benefit of a big APV is the higher power range. Simply put, they are capable of putting out a lot more power.

Thus, a VAMO has an advantage on a Twist if you have a delivery system (carto, atties etc.) that requires a lot of power. That would be the RBAs, generally, the Genesis style. They use metal wicks and wick a lot more juice than say a clearo, so you need to heat your wire to a much hotter temperature, demanding a lot more power.

So in summary, only upgrade your battery if you upgrade your delivery system. Dont be one of the uninformed mob just buying a Provari because of all the hype without actually knowing why you need it.

MLKman212

Verified Member
Apr 4, 2013
United States
I have only tried the ego-c tank system, vivi novas, and various single and double coil carto tanks...no rebuildables yet. Moving up from the ego-c tank system was a big difference, but I agree with flow.professor...it's about consistency and flexibility. Consistency in the power they deliver and the flexibility to allow you to eventually step up to trying other things like rebuildable atomizers.

I have the Volcano Lavatube V2, which is very similar to the Vamo V2 except I don't have VW and can't stack two 18350s. The LT allows me to check the resistance of your coils and set the voltage appropriately and delivers consistant voltage to the coils until the screen reads "Lo", in which case I can't fire. I always felt that when my Ego started showing the blue light that the voltage delivered was lower (I don't have a twist) which made my vivi novas burn strange...more gunk would build up and I learned to make sure to keep my ego's well charged.

Anyways, I think it is worth it to step up to something bigger...pbusardo likes the vamo...for me I didn't need VW and thought the black LT V2 looked better.

Stephuhnator

ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2013
Moon, PA, USA
I love my Vision VV Spinner 1300mah :D I chain vape all day on one charge then vape off my SMOK tech ego battery while it's charging if I'm still awake.

I was about to get myself a Vamo, but I'm thinking I will investigate some more tanks before I invest in something of that sort. Just bought a Kanger ProTank tonight, might get some EVODs. I've found so far that TH and vapor can vary even if moving from a Vivi mini nova to a Vivi nova. Maybe I'll get another Spinner, we'll see :)

Good luck on your quest elewellin!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread