I don't know if ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

nala's mom

Jul 8, 2019
I've been reading posts here and also was wondering 'if' vaping does make you lose weight ... I've been vaping for appx. 4 years .. had surgery last December for an AAA repair .. then in January I had an angiogram .. I weighed 140 and was very happy with this weight, I'm 5'5" tall and wore a size 10 .. NOW here today I'm weighing 116 .. had blood work done because I thought perhaps my thyroid in out of synch .. but it is fine .. eat the same .. everything else is the same but cannot figure out WHY I've lost sooooooooo much weight .. I HATE IT .. my clothese do no even fit .. NO I cannot afford to go out and buy all new!! Thank you for your time .. just awonderin'

GOMuniEsq

Self-Proclaimed Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 25, 2012
Alberta, Canada
Last month we had a thread claiming that most vapers are fat!
Why are the most of the people who vape are a bit overweight
Please refrain from asking for medical advice on this forum. We're a bunch of amateurs who just enjoy the habit. Also: calories in, calories out; defer to your doctor; and NICE HUMBLEBRAG.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
I've been reading posts here and also was wondering 'if' vaping does make you lose weight .
From what I've seen in the various threads over the years I'd say: Not in any consistent way. Some people gain, some lose, others stay roughly the same.

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
I've been reading posts here and also was wondering 'if' vaping does make you lose weight ... I've been vaping for appx. 4 years .. had surgery last December for an AAA repair .. then in January I had an angiogram .. I weighed 140 and was very happy with this weight, I'm 5'5" tall and wore a size 10 .. NOW here today I'm weighing 116 .. had blood work done because I thought perhaps my thyroid in out of synch .. but it is fine .. eat the same .. everything else is the same but cannot figure out WHY I've lost sooooooooo much weight .. I HATE IT .. my clothese do no even fit .. NO I cannot afford to go out and buy all new!! Thank you for your time .. just awonderin'
Hi,

No.

Cheers
I

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Last month we had a thread claiming that most vapers are fat!
Why are the most of the people who vape are a bit overweight
Please refrain from asking for medical advice on this forum. We're a bunch of amateurs who just enjoy the habit. Also: calories in, calories out; defer to your doctor; and NICE HUMBLEBRAG.
I mostly agree with this. The medical stuff certainly. I would say though that for most here it’s was an attempt at harm reduction that became a hobby. Similar but not exactly the same. The concept of vaping as a “pleasure” still strikes me as very much a minority attitude. For most here It’s about not dying rather than “gee this is fun!” The “gee this is fun!” People actually sort of disturb me. Nicotine is psychoactive. There are vastly healthier things that can be done for fun.

GOMuniEsq

Self-Proclaimed Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 25, 2012
Alberta, Canada
Oops. Sounds like I need to speak for myself then. For me, if something's worth doing, it's worth doing well and enjoying. Perhaps this makes me a hedonist, but it seems like a waste to practice a vice if I can't allow myself the pleasure of it.

Like when I used to drink alcohol to excess every day. I remember the good times and if I could go back, I might end up doing it again. Sure there were plenty of negative aspects, but I sure had a lot of fun, and it's only too bad that my memory of those times is so vague and fuzzy, ha! But when the negatives began to outweigh the positives I had to quit and put that part of my life behind me. I don't feel the need to vilify it in order to maintain my sobriety, and now I brew wine for my wife who still drinks.

Shawn Hoefer

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2015
Arkansas Ozarks
I know a few people who've lost weight vaping... the flavors satisfy their cravings.

I also know a few that gained... the flavors set them off.

I know a few it didn't affect at all.

However, I have to wonder how a loss of 24 pounds over 4 years even bears mentioning, and if it bears mentioning, how was it not noticed earlier... I've lost nearly 40 pounds since December last year (220 to 180, thank you very much), but I knew it along the way, and know why it's happening (keto). So...

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I smell a trap :).
upload_2019-7-8_16-26-30.jpg

SupplyDaddy

I'm considered a Mad Scientist in some circles!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
When I started vaping, almost 7 years ago, I weighed 200lbs.
Last year at this time, I weighed 165.
Right now, I weigh 195.

But a bunch of things have happened from one day to the next, several medical, some financial, and a whole lot of other stuff in between.

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
I've been vaping for appx. 4 years .. had surgery last December for an AAA repair .. then in January I had an angiogram .. I weighed 140 and was very happy with this weight, I'm 5'5" tall and wore a size 10 .. NOW here today I'm weighing 116 .. had blood work done because I thought perhaps my thyroid in out of synch .. but it is fine .. eat the same .. everything else is the same but cannot figure out WHY I've lost sooooooooo much weight

I understand why you're definitely concerned about the weight loss. Going from 140lbs. down to 116lbs. in a period of less than 6 months, without trying to lose the weight, sounds very familiar to me. I went from 118 to 98 over a period of 3 months without wanting to or trying to, years ago.

I'd recommend asking your doctor to have the more extensive TSH testing done on you. Or, discuss having that testing done, with an endochronologist, who'd have better knowledge of it. The initial TSH test (part of routine bloodwork) isn't enough to rule out the existance of a thyroid problem. It didn't catch mine! The more indepth testing definitely did.

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
I understand why you're definitely concerned about the weight loss. Going from 140lbs. down to 116lbs. in a period of less than 6 months, without trying to lose the weight, sounds very familiar to me. I went from 118 to 98 over a period of 3 months without wanting to or trying to, years ago.

I'd recommend asking your doctor to have the more extensive TSH testing done on you. Or, discuss having that testing done, with an endochronologist, who'd have better knowledge of it. The initial TSH test (part of routine bloodwork) isn't enough to rule out the existance of a thyroid problem. It didn't catch mine! The more indepth testing definitely did.

I agree with a check up. But also, when I was younger I could drop weight easy without trying. Add one extra chore to the routine that I hardly noticed. I used to lose weight over the holidays even with all the extra goodies I ate, just from the extra shopping. Ah, those were the days!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread