I Dream of Ciggie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Craybee

ECF Veteran
Jul 4, 2013
Washington, DC
ok so i've been a happy vapor for 13 months now. nary a cigarette since lept into the world of vaping and i broke open my first starter kit back in june of '13. but for whatever reason last night i had this crazy dream that i was was lying in bed smoking a cigarette. there i was just laying there and puffing away without a care in the world, and then suddenly it hit me. i was all, "oh crap i'm smoking a cigarette!" then i heard a knock on the bedroom door and i opened the door a little, it was my partner and he wanted to know what i was doing in there. then he smelled the cigarette smoke and got upset. his eyes were getting red and it looked like he was gonna cry n stuff and i didn't know what to say except that i didn't even realize i was smoking until it was too late. i remember feeling really disappointed with myself and thinking that i'd just thrown away a whole years worth of progress in quitting smoking. then i woke up. you ever had a dream where you wake up and then go "whew! it didn't really happen. it was just a dream."

but this is like the second smoking related dream i've had in about a month. the first one was odd in that i was craving a cigarette, and i think i had an unlit one but i kept putting off lighting it. i finally woke up never having lit it. but even though i didn't smoke it during the dream i could smell cigarette smoke the whole time in the dream.

so have any of you who've quit smoking had smoking dreams? i'm kinda surprised that i am. especially now, because i don't really crave cigarettes and had a pretty smooth transition from cigs to e-cigs. so now i'm all ...?
:confused:

Cullin Kin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 28, 2014
The 3Oh!3, Colorado
www.youtube.com
I think quitting smoking is like quitting any other drug in this sense. 'Using Dreams' are very common even in the first few years of quitting something that had a hold on your life. To answer your question, yes that's normal, I used to get them all of the time and now only on rare occasions.

Rat2chat2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2013
North Carolina
Come to think about it, I never remember having smoking dreams when I was a smoker. I don't have vaping dream either but that is probably because with the reo grand........all your dreams have already come true. :sneaky: Sorry I just couldn't let that one slide. :laugh: I would love to have a good dream no matter what I was doing. Happy dreaming to you.

theinlawjosie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 22, 2013
The Bluegrass State
I think this could be viewed as a blessing in disguise. I know you said you don’t crave cigarettes, but you never know when that craving might hit. The fact that you have had that feeling of guilt from the dream may come in handy if that craving does end up hitting you. It’s almost like learning a lesson the hard way, without actually having to do it the hard way… if that makes any sense?

Aheadatime

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2013
USA
I think quitting smoking is like quitting any other drug in this sense. 'Using Dreams' are very common even in the first few years of quitting something that had a hold on your life. To answer your question, yes that's normal, I used to get them all of the time and now only on rare occasions.

Pretty much this. 'Using Dreams' are well-known events that to me, seem like the user's brain washing away the remnant of old habits. I've had similar dreams while quitting other substances in the past, and I've also gone through my share of cig dreams. It's the same story as the OP. You smoke in the dream 'without realizing it', then you realize 'crap! wth am I doing!?'. This is normal and nothing to be ashamed of. If anything, look at it like an anniversary. It means you're that much closer to being completely smoke-free.

There is a fascinating Nova episode about sleeping and dreaming. Did you know it has been demonstrated that rats have dreams about what they did during the day? Or that very young children around the world have remarkably similar nightmares?

Anyway, the relevant point is that one primary evolutionary reason for dreaming is that it prepares us for responding to things that might happen, by tapping into our own memories and a sort of "ancestral memory." So yes, this could in fact be the OP's subconscious preparing to fight an urge to relapse.

SchmidtyKy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2013
Anytown, USA
Wow! Just a couple of weeks ago I had a dream that it was basically the apocalypse, and that I was sitting on the floor in the middle of my house smoking one ciggy after another. I had a whole pack of Parliaments (I have NEVER smoked this brand in real life!! Weird!) and was just having a good ole' time. Just one after another. Someone walked in the room (I have no idea who it was) and asked what I was doing.

I told them that "it's all over now, I'm just gonna smoke it up!"

I did wake up feeling like I had really been smoking...and for a split second I was disappointed in myself!

So funny!

Craybee

ECF Veteran
Jul 4, 2013
Washington, DC
I haven't had a smoking dream but I've had a ton of drug dreams and I haven't used drugs in 20 years nor have I wanted to.

It's just something a part of your brain is processing and it does sometimes suck.

ha! well considering your avatar i'd say it's highly appropriate for you to be dreamin' of tons of drugs. sweetie darling.
smiley-kissy.jpg

chellemmm

Chihuahua Queen
ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2013
Florida
I, too, dream of smoking and it has been almost 18 months of no cigarettes. I even smell them in my sleep. I wake up and reach for the non-existent pack of smokes and then "wake up" to the fact that I am not a smoker. The first couple of times it happened, it scared me. I thought I was going to revert. Now, I just think of how lucky I am.

alisa1970

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 30, 2013
Portland, OR
I had my second ciggy dream in 16 months last week sometime. The first one, I resisted mountains of various cigarette packs surrounding me. This last one, I smoked like a 1/2 pack and enjoyed it, but realized that if I smoked any more, I would never stay quit. I've been under a great deal of stress (some major life changes) in the last week, so I chalk it up to me subconsciously looking for a way to alleviate the pressure. Interestingly, I've been craving smokes a bit more lately than in the past when the craves hit, but I'm not particularly interested in partaking. I know how un-satisfying it will be, even though my craving brain is telling me otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread