I have a question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CodyE

Jun 20, 2016
Alrighy, so I'm like three minutes new to the rda building and all. I have a kanger dripmod, it's a bottum feeder and it came stock with the building set (spare atomizer, coils, screws, organic cotton, and a screw driver). I put a third coil on a dual post atomizer, it originally only had two. I made sure that the coils aren't touching and fed the cotton through. It hits amazingly, takes a little ramp up time, but it hits and tastes great! What dangers are possible to encounter by doing this?

IMFire3605

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Blue Rapids, KS, US
Alrighy, so I'm like three minutes new to the rda building and all. I have a kanger dripmod, it's a bottum feeder and it came stock with the building set (spare atomizer, coils, screws, organic cotton, and a screw driver). I put a third coil on a dual post atomizer, it originally only had two. I made sure that the coils aren't touching and fed the cotton through. It hits amazingly, takes a little ramp up time, but it hits and tastes great! What dangers are possible to encounter by doing this?

Everytime you add another coil you split the resistance by that number, ie, dual coil is resistance of 1 coil/2, triple coil resistance of 1 coil/3. Also, the lower in resistance you go, especially on a mech/unregulated the more amps you will pull from the battery, the battery can't supply the necessary amps continuously, boom, roman candle in your face. Doing a guess based off the replacement packs, each coil head is 0.2ohms, dual coil, so 0.4each coil, 0.4ohm/3=0.13333ohms <----NOT SAFE

4.2v/0.13333=31.5008amps <---Over the CDR limit of every battery on the market right now

Forkeh

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2012
California
Look. I have a Dripbox. I actually love my Dripbox, which is odd for a Kanger product, but what can I say? The price was too good to resist.

It's supposed to be a regulated, protected mod. It's supposed to have low resistance protection. You aren't supposed to be able to fire it under .2 ohms. Here's the thing, if you're stacking another coil on top of the two already in the pre-built deck, you're probably firing under .2 ohms (unless you have some uneven resistance shenanigans going on, and you don't wanna do that either). This confirms my suspicions that you shouldn't trust a Kanger chip as far as you can throw it.

I'm not going to tell you not to use your Dripbox. I use mine. But for the love of god stop this foolishness. I treat my Dripbox a lot like a mech. Always test your coils. ALWAYS stay within safe amp range for your battery. Due to some concerning reports of a couple catching fire, I always unscrew that adjustable piece on the battery door, so the battery doesn't make a connection when I'm not using it. I don't even use the stock coils. I'm not comfortable with the safety implications of a .2 ohm build. Plus....my coils are better anyway.

Reactions: Eskie

IMFire3605

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Blue Rapids, KS, US
Well thank you, I figured any change in resistance would probably cause harm but I didn't know IT WAS THAT SERIOUS. I'm glad I decided to ask!!!. So for now I'm going to keep it at two coils, is there anyway I can make a tri coil work? If not I'm perfectly fine with the dual coil. So definatley removing the third coil NOW.

Triple coil can be done, you'd have to make and wrap the coils yourself. In that instance I'd lean toward a twisted 28 or 26awg dual coil (technically becomes a quad coil 4 parallel wires, 2 per coil), I'd shoot for about 0.25ohm total. Your biggest problem would be fitting them in there, that or buy some 26/32 or 28/32 clapton wire.

www.steam-engine.org <--Has a lot of useful vaping programs, including an "Ohm's Law Calculator" and coil wrapping simulation calculator which are very useful.

CodyE

Jun 20, 2016
Again thank you a lot, I just sat down and removed the third coil. I'll leave the customization to someone who knows what they're doing next time. Until I know more about what I'm doing atleast. I will check that website out and learn more before I go and make a foolish mistake again. And also I've never had a kanger box before, I usually lean more toward inkonin or aspire, but like you said the price was awesome and I like the bottum feeder RDA. So I really appreciate the help of not letting me disconfigure my face!! I would love to learn how to wrap and build properly.

Forkeh

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2012
California
Well thank you, I figured any change in resistance would probably cause harm but I didn't know IT WAS THAT SERIOUS. I'm glad I decided to ask!!!. So for now I'm going to keep it at two coils, is there anyway I can make a tri coil work? If not I'm perfectly fine with the dual coil. So definatley removing the third coil NOW.

That's not exactly true. Somewhat higher resistance coils should be no problem at all. It's just that you don't want to go under .2 ohms. And honestly? I'm not comfortable with even going that low on this mod. I have a .6 build on mine right now.

Reactions: IMFire3605

Forkeh

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2012
California
Again thank you a lot, I just sat down and removed the third coil. I'll leave the customization to someone who knows what they're doing next time. Until I know more about what I'm doing atleast. I will check that website out and learn more before I go and make a foolish mistake again. And also I've never had a kanger box before, I usually lean more toward inkonin or aspire, but like you said the price was awesome and I like the bottum feeder RDA. So I really appreciate the help of not letting me disconfigure my face!! I would love to learn how to wrap and build properly.

:thumb: Then you should do so. It's not hard. You just have to read up on it, and wrapping the coils just takes a little bit of practice. But a simple coil build, I'm sure, is well within the scope of your ability.

Reactions: IMFire3605
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread