The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

I have vaped in these SF Bars:

Discussion in 'SF Bay Area' started by shakey ceasefire, Mar 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. shakey ceasefire

shakey ceasefire Senior Member ECF Veteran

Feb 17, 2009
    San Francisco
    The Attic (24th @ Mission)
    The Homestead (19th @ Folsom)
    Elbo Room (Valencia @ 17th)

I've heard (from Leaford, on the forum) that the Edinburgh Castle is vape-friendly.

2. rsngfrce

rsngfrce Super Member ECF Veteran

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    So when you say you have vaped there, do you mean they ALLOW vaping, or that they didn't happen to stop you?

3. shakey ceasefire

Feb 17, 2009
    San Francisco
    I'm a bit of a regular at these places :D so I walked in and said "check this .... out - it's an electronic cigarette!!"

And then of course everyone wanted a demonstration, which I was more than happy to provide (vapevapevape).

I know that at least one employee at the Elbow Room has ordered one, so the entire staff knows there.

I'm a little cautious tho... I once got accused of smoking pot b/c some other joker was, and you could smell it, and they saw my cloud of vapor. I had to give another demo (vapevapevape):D

4. cowgal

cowgal Senior Member ECF Veteran

Mar 12, 2009
    San Francisco, TX
    Hello from Russian Hill! I've vaped in the Royal Oak (Polk @ Vallejo), but only on a slow Monday when everybody else had cleared outta there. I explained what it was to the bartender & asked permission. Then last week at the Hotsy Totsy in Albany I got a little bolder -- I was with a big group of knitters who'd all heard me talking about my new e-cigs, and so of course they wanted me to demonstrate, and I very happily obliged! There were other people around too, and I got a few curious glances but nobody said anything, so I vaped up the whole time. It was the first time at knitting that I didn't have to run outside for a smoke at some point! (I just started vaping less than a month ago... still haven't totally given up the analogs, but that's the idea.)

5. leaford

leaford Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Yep, I can confirm that Edinburgh Castle (Geary btwn Larkin & Hyde) is e-cig friendly. I've vaped away a few times now.

6. shakey ceasefire

Feb 17, 2009
    San Francisco
    Add Bender's (19 @ S. Van Ness) to the list. I think the only reason I got away with it was because everyone in there was so sloshed, no one noticed.

7. latte hiatus

latte hiatus Full Member ECF Veteran

Feb 13, 2009
    SF Bay Area
    I was at The Trappist (Oakland, 8th and Broadway) last Saturday night, and I was at a table with some friends in the newly expanded back room area. Had my e-cigar in brown in plain sight without a word from the staff, though I kept the vapor discreet by not vaping when a waitress was within five feet of the table.

8. mjp808

mjp808 Senior Member ECF Veteran

Not that I'm unfriendly, but I get sick of explaining it and how it works, so I just keep it on the down-low. I just don't like attention. Now if a sexy lady happened to ask...;)

Anyway--add Boom Boom Room. My friend owns it.

9. ~kerri

~kerri Senior Member ECF Veteran

Feb 15, 2009
    San Francisco, CA. USA
    I vaped in the Deluxe (Haight @ Ashbury) the bartender was totally cool with it once he got that there was no smoke smell, but honestly it was more fun vaping outside with the smokers (many of whom got a kick out of the blue light...) :D

10. mjp808

The owner of the Deluxe, Jay, is also a friend of mine--I'm sure he's cool about it. Sorry--I'm not trying to name drop or sound well connected, or cool--I'm not. Just so happens though...

11. fuzzzilla

fuzzzilla Full Member

Mar 9, 2009
    San Francisco, CA
    I vaped in the Beauty Bar in the Mission a few weeks ago. Asked the bartender if I could puff on my nicotine inhaler, he said I could. I did, and he gave me a funny look and said, "That is one weird looking nicotine inhaler." I laughed and told him that's why I asked first and he was fine with it. YMMV

12. bevisbao
    This message by bevisbao has been removed from public view. Deleted by a moderator, Apr 11, 2009, Reason: Spam.
    Apr 11, 2009
  13. cowgal

cowgal Senior Member ECF Veteran

Mar 12, 2009
    San Francisco, TX
    Oh come on, you know you're cool. Strike a pose! ;)

14. mjp808

Maybe just a little...:D

15. latte hiatus

latte hiatus Full Member ECF Veteran

Feb 13, 2009
    SF Bay Area
    Foley's Piano Bar @ 243 O'Farrell St near Powell was a go. My fiance was vaping from my juicebox, and being quite soused she was not at all discreet about it. A bartender saw the vapor and told her to take it outside, no smoking indoors, and she responded, "It's just water vapor," to which the bartender just shrugged and didn't pursue the matter any further. Frankly, I'm starting to think that I prefer a PV that does not resemble a cigarette's size and shape, so there is no confusion from parties that do not have enough information to distinguish between a PV and cigarette.

16. ~kerri

~kerri Senior Member ECF Veteran

Feb 15, 2009
    San Francisco, CA. USA
    ok not really a bar but I vaped at Maker Faire today :D
    of the 2 whole people who noticed- 1 thought it was a pipe of some sort. (it was a 510 manual/green led) one guy "got it" and wanted to know more about it...
    I dunno, seemed to me like the perfect place to vape....

17. hammer_sickle01

hammer_sickle01 Full Member

Jun 3, 2009
    Bay Area
    confirm NocNoc in Lower Haight.

I vape here frequently (whether at the bar or lounging around in the back) never got any questions or concerning looks.

But this is the same place that Ive seen people bring in their pets and outside food in with no questions either...

no hard liquor though. come in here for the imported beer.

18. Bammer

Bammer New Member

May 6, 2009
    Castro Valley, CA USA
    I vaped in the Ruby Room in Oakland, but I don't think anyone realized it wasn't a real cigarette

19. DaniLiss

DaniLiss Full Member

May 8, 2009
    California, US
    Hey Bammer! I also vaped at the Ruby Room. No one seemed to notice any kind of smoking in there.

20. ericwestbrook

ericwestbrook Full Member

Jul 8, 2009
    San Francisco, CA
    I'm the same way. I just avoid doing it anywhere that is going to stir questions. I work as a consultant at many clients and I just take it outside to avoid confusion and attention. When I walk around downtown, I just kinda avoid eye contact with people who look like they are going to want to bum because I get tired of explaining why I don't have a cigarette or a lighter for them.

Ironically, after switching to e-cigs, I'm at most freedom at home alone. Vaping in public is what has become more tense. At least I can vape in my apartment now. That's the best freedom.

21. Mr. Tasty Vapor

Mr. Tasty Vapor Unregistered Supplier ECF Veteran

I guess I feel obligated to explain. Hell, my wife gets tired of hearing the "spiel". It's not really good for my business because the people who ask are the inquisitive/curious folk who don't even have units yet as well as the bemused smokers who still aren't through giving their lungs a good decade+ of bashing.

But, it's a lesson in patience for me too, which is one that I DO need to learn for my business.

As for venues to vape in, I think the only place in Oakland that's worth going to is the Uptown. I'll check into that and post later. Going to Destroyer 666 tonight, so I'll have a chance to catch the Parkside's take on vaping inside the club.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.