Status
Not open for further replies.

bigdancehawk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2010
Kansas City, Missouri
This is from an e-mail I received today from the University of Kansas Hospital. Gee, I guess there are a lot of things I though I knew that are actually unknown. And I've been doing something wrong for the last 4 years because my vaping devices don't even have "cartridges." ;)

"It's important for people to understand that e-cigarettes exist in a grey zone as far as regulation goes," said Stephen Thornton, MD, toxicologist and medical director for The University of Kansas Hospital Poison Control Center. "If people are under the impression there is any quality control or safety measures, they're mistaken."

We've gathered what we do know and what we don't to best address these questions.

What are e-cigarettes?
  • There are many different brands. Those brands change often.
  • Most e-cigarettes are not manufactured in the U.S.
  • Each brand is a bit different, but most contain:
    • A battery
    • A heating coil
    • A vaporizing chamber
    • Cartridges that fit into that chamber
The cartridges are filled with a solution commonly called "e-liquid" or "e-juice." This solution typically contains variable amounts of nicotine usually dissolved in propylene glycol or a similar solvent. Sometimes these solutions have less or even more nicotine than regular cigarettes. They're also available in different strengths and flavors. Studies have shown that the listed strengths or concentrations of nicotine in these solutions may not be accurate.

How do they work?
The battery heats the liquid nicotine that's contained in the cartridge. The user then inhales the vapor from the heated liquid. This process is called "vaping."

Are e-cigarettes safe?
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration does not yet test or regulate e-cigarettes. So the makers do not have to follow any quality-control guidelines or safety standards.

Right now, users of e-cigarettes have no way to know exactly what chemicals or materials they're made of. In addition, very little research has been conducted – particularly any long-term studies. What research has been discovered is alarming.

• Some cartridges contain cancer-causing ingredients and other toxic chemicals.
  • Most cartridges contain propylene glycol, which can irritate the lungs when inhaled.
  • E-cigarettes generate secondhand vapor, which has been shown in studies to contain nicotine, though usually at very low levels.
What don't we know about e-cigs?
Simply put, there are more things we don't know about e-cigarettes than we do.

• We don't know what materials are used to construct the tubes and the working parts of e-cigarettes.
  • We don't know what chemicals or their concentration in the liquids is used in the cartridges.
  • We don't know the immediate side effects or risks of inhaling the liquid.
  • We don't know the long-term health effects of e-cigarettes.
  • We don't know what's in the secondhand e-cigarette vapor and whether it's harmful.
In terms of cancer or lung damage, vaping with e-cigs might be safer than smoking traditional cigarettes because it doesn't involve burning material that causes disease.

"It's important to understand we are not saying it's safe," said Dr. Thornton. "We're saying it's safer. It's all relative risk – like choosing between jumping from a 20-foot building or a 40-foot building. Ideally, you would not do either."

- See more at: The Facts About E-cigarettes | The University of Kansas Hospital | Kansas City, KS

bigdancehawk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2010
Kansas City, Missouri
Uh huh.

This pearl of wisdom came from the same medical establishment that, not too long ago, told you .........ion made you stupid, stunted your growth and made hair grow on the palms of your hands.
At long last I realize why I flunked out of HS, am only 4'10", and people don't want to shake my hand.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
Ideally, people without a single clue woudln't go spouting off their mouths about something that is utterly unknown to them. :facepalm: And yes, ideally, people would neither smoke nor vape -- but for the largest majority of smokers, not doing either is simply NOT AN OPTION, it's one of the other. I choose splashing in a puddle rather than jumping off that 40 ft bldg.

Andria

mostlyclassics

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Uh huh.

This pearl of wisdom came from the same medical establishment that, not too long ago, told you .........ion made you stupid, stunted your growth and made hair grow on the palms of your hands.

Last edited:

NoFumus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2015
St. Paul, Minnesota

That's not true?

wiredlove

Master Lurker
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2010
KY
Ideally, people without a single clue woudln't go spouting off their mouths about something that is utterly unknown to them. :facepalm: And yes, ideally, people would neither smoke nor vape -- but for the largest majority of smokers, not doing either is simply NOT AN OPTION, it's one of the other. I choose splashing in a puddle rather than jumping off that 40 ft bldg.

Andria

:facepalm: Ideally we would eat correctly and healthfully, not consume alcohol or caffeine, not sit at a desk all day, not inhale toxic exhaust from cars or off-gassing from furnishings, and avoid pretty much any activity involving modern life and conveniences. Sounds kind of like living in a commune where life ain't very fun.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
Maybe this dude should stick to what he knows instead of speculating on what he doesn't know anything about. It seems he's stuck on people jumping off buildings though! :eek:

I'm thinking he's a candidate to be PUSHED off a bldg! :lol:

Andria

bigdancehawk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2010
Kansas City, Missouri
I carpet bomb naysayers. Have created a simply worded and clear canned response.
Feel free to use it yourselves. It is formatted at 72 character line length. That means
it'll work in most e-mail clients. It also includes a built in bozo filter.

---8<---

Should you choose to presenting an argument against my use of electronic
cigarette products, please become better informed. I provide links to
sites which offer volumes of accurate information. If you choose not
informing yourself, I will know and choose not to be concerned regarding
any argument you present. This does mean any argument because if you
choose to not be informed, your actions confer to me you are stupid. I
do not abide stupidity. Thank you and have a good one. The links below
are for your reference.

[ E-cigarette research, studies and papers - 2015/2014 ] - E-cigarette studies, research and reports

[ CASAA - The Consumer Advocates for Smoke-free Alternatives Association ] - Consumer Advocates for Smoke-free Alternatives Association

[ Home Page ] - American E-liquid Manufacturing Standards Association

--->8---
Nice! Along those same lines, I have responded to the KU email as follows, shamelessly stealing an idea or two from other posts in this thread:

I am a KU grad and a recent patient of the University of Kansas Hospital. Four years ago, thanks to electronic cigarettes, I was finally able to kick a 40 year smoking habit after all other methods had failed.

Dr. Thornton could use a refresher course in basic arithmetic. According to an independent review published by Public Health England, using an electronic cigarette is 95% less harmful than smoking LINK. If smoking cigarettes is like jumping from a 40 foot building, as Dr. Thornton contends, then using an electronic cigarette is like jumping from a 2 foot building (5% x 40 ft. = 2 ft.)

It's unfortunate that you do not provide a comment section on your linked web page. We actually do know most of the things you've listed as "unknown."

For example, I know what "materials are used to construct the tubes and the working parts" of my e-cigarettes. The tubes are made of Pyrex glass, the coil is made from Kanthal wire (the heating elements in toasters, electric stoves, etc.), and my wicks are made from silica or cotton. The e-juice is made from PG, vegetable glycerin, nicotine and FDA approved flavors. The e-juice I use is tested at an independent lab and the results are posted on line.

With the exception of long term health effects, all of the things you've listed as "we don't know" have been extensively studied and the results have been published. For example LINK and LINK. Furthermore, although e-cigarettes haven't been in use long enough to allow for truly long term studies, the health effects of the ingredients have all be studied for decades. And, after over 6 years of widespread e-cigarette use, no significant adverse health effects have been reported. Contrast that with FDA approved Chantix.*

The statement that propylene glycol "can cause lung irritation" needs to be put in context. If you look at the potential side effects for FDA approved nicotine inhalers, you'll find the same thing. LINK PG has been studied relentlessly since the 1940's. For example, consider the fact that propylene glycol is used as a vehicle for administering inhaled cyclosporine to lung transplant patients LINK, and in asthma nebulizers. LINK

Coming from my own alma mater, and an institution that holds itself out as the best medical center and hospital in the state and city, I would have expected something less superficial and more thoroughly researched than this piece.

*Common side effects of Chantix include nausea (may persist for several months), sleep disturbance, stomach pain, indigestion, constipation, gas, vomiting, headaches, weakness, tiredness, unusual dreams, sleep problems (insomnia), dry mouth, or unpleasant taste in your mouth. Chantix is not addictive and is not a controlled substance; however, some patients may experience irritability and sleep disturbance if Chantix is abruptly discontinued. Patients may experience psychiatric symptoms such as behavioral changes, agitation, depressed mood, and suicidal behavior while using Chantix.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
:thumb: "By Jove, i think he's unto something!" :vapor:

No seriously, what is this garbage?

T12AhFM.gif

AzPlumber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2011
Arizona
We don't know the immediate side effects or risks of inhaling the liquid.

^This^ gets the internet participation trophy of the day.

How many years of college did the good Doc attend to print something so ludicrous? I'm pretty sure you know the immediate side effects, immediately.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
Hey, I had a doctor tell me I had to have a pregnancy test after I stated I hadn't been in a relationship for 2 years. She actually told me that as long as I have a uterus I could have an immaculate conception.

A doctor told you this... I could *maybe* understand it if a priest said it, but... a doctor...

Andria

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread