Status
Not open for further replies.

TheVap3Junkie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 10, 2012
Bunker Hill, WV
IMAG0561.jpg

I've always wanted an epipe but didnt want to fork out the cash so with no woodworking skills but a lot of ingenuity and patience, I made one. It started as a chunk of 2x4 which I know isnt prime tobacco pipe material but it is what I had laying around so its what I used. Made with a hacksaw, drillpress and dremel tool. The electronics are an 18350 battery and a 510 auto switch to get that real pipe feel so there isnt any buttons to push, just pick it up and vape. I also made that driptip/pipe stem out of a pawn style acrylic and the tip of an old black and mild cigar I had laying around from a few years ago. Its simple but it works and I now have an epipe!

StereoDreamer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 13, 2012
Columbia MD
Awesome work! Is the battery in the stem or the bowl?

If that tank on the shank of the pipe is a Vivi Nova, by proportion and dimension, it woul dbe safe to assume that the battery, being an 18350, would HAVE to be in the bowl, because an 18350 is almost exactly the same external diameter as a Vivi Nova, and that tank is the same external diameter as the pipe's shank.

Very nice mod, "TheVap3Junkie". For someone with no previous pipe-making experience, and no woodworking skills, you did a very nice job with that e-pipe!

Don't worry about using pine for the pipe. If you seal it properly, it will last forever. The reason they use hardwoods like briar in analog pipes is because they have to be able to withstand the heat of the burning tobacco without cracking, splitting or bursting into flames and they tend to have low resin contents (unlike pine) and therefore don't mess up the flavor of the tobacco...

Technically, you could make an e-pipe from balsa or even paper mache' if you wanted to. Because there is no combustion, the material of the bowl doesn't really matter, as long as it is strong enough to hold up under normal usage...

TheVap3Junkie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 10, 2012
Bunker Hill, WV
Awesome work! Is the battery in the stem or the bowl?

Battery is in the bowl. I mounted a spring in the bottom and used another small battery spring in the top for the positive terminal. The small hole at the top of the bowl is the battery hold down. I couldnt figure out an easy way to do it so i drilled small holes and there is a pin that goes through.

TheVap3Junkie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 10, 2012
Bunker Hill, WV
If that tank on the shank of the pipe is a Vivi Nova, by proportion and dimension, it woul dbe safe to assume that the battery, being an 18350, would HAVE to be in the bowl, because an 18350 is almost exactly the same external diameter as a Vivi Nova, and that tank is the same external diameter as the pipe's shank.

Very nice mod, "TheVap3Junkie". Don't worry about using pine for the pipe. If you seal it properly, it will last forever. The reason they use hardwoods like briar in analog pipes is because they have to be able to withstand the heat of the burning tobacco without cracking, splitting or bursting into flames and they tend to have low resin contents (unlike pine) and therefore don't mess up the flavor of the tobacco...

I like the grain of the pine too. Its stained and sealed with polyurethane which is another no no in the analog pipe world but there is no heat involved here and the finish looks good imo. I knew I would be using tanks on it so I tried to size the shank for the flush look. Its not perfect but its close.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Battery is in the bowl. I mounted a spring in the bottom and used another small battery spring in the top for the positive terminal. The small hole at the top of the bowl is the battery hold down. I couldnt figure out an easy way to do it so i drilled small holes and there is a pin that goes through.

Thanks, that's what I thought. I think I see the pin in the picture too now that I know there is one there and that is a great idea too.

TheVap3Junkie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 10, 2012
Bunker Hill, WV
Thanks everyone. Ive been vaping the crap out of it with all sorts of different configs. The auto switch doesnt like ultra low resistance but I knew that going in. I really wanted to put the auto switch in to really keep it as realistic as possible. It runs single coil 2.0 cartos fine and thats good enough for me. Looks awesome with a cone, carto and that stem I made.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread