I need some understanding about watts and performance

Status
Not open for further replies.

talbrecht

Verified Member
Jan 6, 2009
NE Texas
I have recently bought a smok SID that is VV and VW. I have been using the watts function because it is my understanding that the power will remain the same as long as there is enough battery to sustain the wattage. I have watched a whole bunch of videos, especially the rebuild-able videos where someone builds a 1.8 ohm or choose your pick 2.4, 2 really doesn't matter and stick the tank, clearomizer, atty whatever on a VV/VW device and crank it up to 12 maybe even 15 watts and just puff away with such a satisfied look and talk about how wonderful the vape is etc. If I were to do that I would get nothing but burnt taste to the point that I couldn't vape at all. So here is my dilemma. Using a standard 2.4 ohm standard changeable coil, bottom feed if I go above 8 watts the taste is burnt and just isn't pleasing. I do understand that there is a difference in the eliq used and that some won't take as much power as others but am I missing something here? Some say they love to vape at 11 watts or whatever they say their sweet spot is and just throw whatever on it and vape away. Now I am not looking to vape at 15 watts max just because my device goes that high I am just wondering if you rebuild a coil and change the wicking material does that make that much difference in the performance with the reported ohms of the coil being the same. I just don't get it. I hope that I have asked the question so that you understand why I am confused a bit here. Right now depending on the juice I am running anywhere between 6-8 watts normally and have found it very satisfying so I am really not needing to go higher, just not wanting my head to hurt anymore trying to figure out if I am just not understanding something about watts and performance.

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
especially the rebuild-able videos where someone builds a 1.8 ohm or choose your pick 2.4, 2 really doesn't matter and stick the tank, clearomizer, atty whatever on a VV/VW device and crank it up to 12 maybe even 15 watts and just puff away with such a satisfied look and talk about how wonderful the vape is etc.

this is the key part of understanding what your asking. most off the shelf components just arent designed for high power vaping.
and in most cases are designed for the ego class style of battery output.

with rebuildables even in something like a protank head, there is more range of options when choosing wick and wire, and very high power usage can be accounted for in the way it is built.

Myrany

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Louisiana
ok this is just my personal experience here so anyone that wants to correct me jump in

With Variable Wattage VW devices you set the wattage to what is pleasant for you. Then no matter the ohms of the device you screw on it you will vape at that WATTAGE.

What wattage you vape at is personal taste. On my vamo with a protank I rarely went over 7 watts and usually hovered around 6-6.5 watts for my mostly fruit liquids.

On my reo with the RM2 though I can go much higher wattage as in I am frequently around 14 watts. I think it has alot to do with the ability to keep the wick wet enough not to burn and the airflow.

If you found a good place where you get the vape you like then don't mess with success. Keeping up with the cloud chasers is probably going to be a loosing battle. ;)

talbrecht

Verified Member
Jan 6, 2009
NE Texas
I understand what you are saying about chasing clouds and that is not the reason for the question at all. I am happy with the vape I am getting and have been looking at the videos about rebuilding coils etc and kept noticing the numbers being called out and not being able to grasp the number correlation and them not getting a severe burnt taste. Keep the ideas coming. I think that maybe DeCastro and Myrany might have hit on the problem I am experiencing with the stock heads. Maybe at the higher wattage the stock wick/coil can't deliver the liquid fast enough to keep the wick wet so it scorches????? Again I am not after trying to vape at higher settings but just trying to understand the correlation from what others do and what I am experiencing. In the end, I am not smoking anologs so the rest is just fluff!!!!

Myrany

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Louisiana
ok an exercise for you
Ohm's Law Calculator

this is what we are dealing with from the pure math standpoint

and example
on that calculator if you are say running an ego battery with a 2 ohm protank coil
Ego batterys run at about 3.3 volts (I know some are 3.7 just go with me on it)

Put the 3.3 in the voltage box
and the 2 in the resistance box and hit calculate

and you will get 5.445 watts

that is a pretty typical setup for many people. If you change the head in the protank to 1.8 ohm
so 3.3 in the voltage box
1.8 in the resistance box and hit calculate
You get 6 watts

that is the relationship.

When it tastes burnt is a matter of personal taste, how well the juice is wicking and the airflow of the individual topper.

Steam Turbine

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Montreal Quebec Canada
The key to vape at 10 watts and up is wicking and airflow. Resistance is not important.

As Trasher said: most of the shelf stuff is not made for that... The wicks are just to small to handle high power vaping.

If the wicks are to small and you apply alot of heat to them, the liquid they contain will evaporate faster than the speed at which the wicks can "re-soak" of refill themselves. This will produce an extremely harsh and disgusting vape AKA dry hits.

That's why high power vaping usually requires rebuildable atomizers that allows a big enough "building deck" for you to use bigger, more efficient wicks.

talbrecht

Verified Member
Jan 6, 2009
NE Texas
Now things are making sense to me better. It really bothered me when I just watched a rebuild video where someone made a "micro" coil for a BCC protank type device and used cotton wick material that was of course very short wicks like most BCC wicks are. It was 1.8 ohms and he stuck it on a VW at 15 watts and vaped like a mad man so it was starting to make my head hurt. Thanks everyone for some very insightful comments.

Myrany

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Louisiana
Now things are making sense to me better. It really bothered me when I just watched a rebuild video where someone made a "micro" coil for a BCC protank type device and used cotton wick material that was of course very short wicks like most BCC wicks are. It was 1.8 ohms and he stuck it on a VW at 15 watts and vaped like a mad man so it was starting to make my head hurt. Thanks everyone for some very insightful comments.

at 1.8 ohms with the cotton wicking on a micro coil he is getting some good juice wicking so it CAN work. The evods I set up that way I don't hit 15 watts but I do hit 10ish. It is the wicking and the coil combined that allow it.

talbrecht

Verified Member
Jan 6, 2009
NE Texas
I recently got a vivi nova top coil with the octopus looking wicks and I have done nothing but hate on that thing since I got it. I can't get a non burnt taste vape from it to save my life. All the turning upside down and rolling around just isn't getting the job done and I hate it because the one thing I do like is the added heat the top coil gives. That is the reason I have been checking out all the rebuild vids out there. I am going to rebuild the head on that thing if is the last thing I ever do. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread