I Think I Have A Problem with Sub-Ohm People...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rocketpunk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 14, 2012
Dayton, Ohio

But only certain kinds.

I'm starting to encounter sub-ohm vapers who like to blow massive clouds in front of off-the-street or semi-new to vaping noobs. When asked how they do it, they launch into freaking Star Trek technobabble about sub-ohms, ribbon kanthal wire, torching ss mesh wick -- It's one of the most blatant "my stugotz are bigger than yours" type of behavior I've ever seen in this subculture. It's gone far beyond helping people quit smoking. I've bared witness to vapers doing "cloud wars" in front of eGo-using just-quit hoping-to-gad-this-works type people and then laughing like Campus P.D. stars.

This enfuriates me for some reason. It has nothing to do with my feelings towards sub-ohm mech mod vaping. If that's you're thing, dude, that's your thing. And I totally understand it's a hobby and a gratifying one at that. But, man.

Take your pee contests elsewhere. It's so freaking annoying when I have to explain to people desperate to quit smoking and seeing cocky college-age kids blowing dragon smoke and har har-ing over it that that is NOT what vaping is about, and that that is a hobby for them, and ignore it, it's like kids tweaking cars and revving engines. It's not the cloud that matters, it's the fact that you finally, finally quit smoking.

ARGH.

Sorry, everybody. Sorry.

Last edited:

Iffy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2011
Florida Suncoast
...ARGH

Sorry, everybody. Sorry.

No vape mail today?
BigGrin-1.gif

Chimney34

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 1, 2012
Winston-Salem, North Carolina
I know what you mean Rocketpunk. As much as I love all of my vaping gear & gadgets there is a way to go about helping noobs & not intimidating those who are considering vaping as an alternative to smoking. Not only that, but also the safety concerns that new vapers may not be aware of when they see someone blowing these massive clouds.

Vent all you want!!

7sixtwo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2013
the hinterlands
I'm still pretty new to vaping, but personally, I couldn't give less of a damn about "who can blow the biggest cloud".

I started vaping to quit smoking, and it worked well. I've got a fairly basic APV, (Tesla), that still does everything I want, and a few clearo toppers, along with some very excellent juice, (lucked into finding Nicoticket early). My equipment and juice do the job and I enjoy it.

From a quitting-smoking perspective, I don't see the appeal. One doesn't blow "massive clouds" while smoking, so that is not at all necessary to simulate the general experience through vaping to be satisfied.

To each his own an all, and I do get the argument that jackasses doing that in public could be a bad thing. Of course, that's just due to peoples' "kill the smoker" prejudices and ignorance. It's truly unfortunate that's even a factor when it comes to possible future heavy-handed Statist legislation and regulation, but it is.

CES

optimistic cynic
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2010
Birmingham, Al
Vaping as a subculture is a rising trend and I would like to see some kind of non-biased documentary come about.

"We Are Vapers"... Anyone heard of that one? I did, mysteriously, and nothing ever came of it.

the last update about filming on the We Are Vapers facebook page was June 4th. Linc said he was done with the filming and that the editing process could take up to a year. So it's ongoing but might be awhile.

I took a friend of mine who is trying to get into vaping to a local vapemeet and she got to see massive clouds of vape- which was cool- but i kept having to remind people to start at the beginning, define terms, and remember that she didn't have the exposure to understand all of the details they were trying to give her. All she wants is a set up that she can put in her purse without leaking and that works as needed.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
My take on sub-ohm vaping is similar to the one that PBusardo presented in one of his videos. "Sometimes just because you can, doesn't mean you should."

He doesn't have a problem of using coils measured to be 0.8 ohm or higher, but taking them any lower than that becomes a safety issue he's not willing to accept. He also pointed out that the "cloud chasers" seem to have forgotten why they began to vape in the first place: to stop an activity known to adversely affect one's health and replace it with what is presently considered to be a much safer one.

Sub-ohm vaping is taking vaping to the "extreme sport" level, and enters a grey area of safety concerns. The batteries we use were not originally designed for use in mods. The original design was for applications like flashlights and laptop computers. PV's using sub-ohm can demand more amps than most of these batteries can safely provide, and when that demand is exceeded, they react very angrily. An angry battery is not something you want to happen in any mod, pic below is a good example:

IMR_battery_post-venting.jpg

The above battery is an AW 18490 IMR battery that "vented" in a bookbag. Probably came into contact with something metalic which made a positive circuit, and with continued contact the battery short-circuited and went into thermal runaway. The battery swelled in size and shape and insides of the battery looks like an accordian. Imagine that happening in one of your mods if you do not use all of the available safety precautions. Your mod can literally become a pipe bomb.

Last edited:
yes, we had better be united, as relatively small as we are. These concerns will be pretty insignificant soon. Put your frustration elsewhere where it can do us some good and lets keep doing what we need and want to do to keep off cigarettes. I like a hard hit like I used to hit my pipe. makes me happy and it took high wattage build to do that. Vape how you want buddies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread