IBTanked vs Protank2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Virtual Life

ECF Veteran
Jul 23, 2012
Miami, FL, USA
I became satisfied with the Protank2 late last year, the only change is getting the new Aero-base. I had 4 of them and I was happy enough. Easy to use, decent production, reliable. The last few months I have been using them on a VTR 99% of the time. I have dropped it quite a few times and one of those times broke the glass so I was down to 3. Traveling at the time so got no replacement. 2 weeks later, same trip, another drop, this time sheered the center post at the top and broke the glass. (this also ovaled the protective ring on the VTR, which I managed to round out again, but this is not about that) So when I got home I was down to 2.

Decided to try something else and got a few XL IBTankeds. I use 2.2 ohm coils on the PT2 so I got the smok 2.0 for the IBTankeds. Pre-punched 2 hole from IBTanked.

So they perform OK, just as good as PT2, but I expected better than the PT2 and this is not the case. I used the method on the flyer that came with them for first fill, use the thingy to force air out. They do last much longer than PT2, I have used exclusively and refilled both IBTanked for a week now and still on first coil (on PT2 would have been rinsed at least once, and fresh coil every third day). Every time I refill I drop a few drops into the coil because they look dry, usually too much, have to blot the bottom. So I am confident it is saturated (wrongly?).

As is I would continue to use IBTanked with Smok coils (even get more for variety of flavor) because the coils last so long and performance is adequate for me, but as previously stated I expected better.

But now I am wondering if I should get the higher resistance, maybe more holes, maybe both. I am a chain vaper and allowed to vape in the office so I am rarely without it. My liquid is mostly home made 80/20 and almost clear, the darkest I use is Nickoticket Gravity which is not that dark (not put Gravity in IBTanked yet but I will when I get more tanks). My backups are SVD and Vamo (because all use same batteries), and not likely to get another APV until I need one. Am I asking/expecting too much from IBTanked?

I would very much like to hear the opinion of those who have experience with both tanks.
Thanks

New2vaps

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
USA
Just curious, when you stated you expected better, what do you mean? To me the difference in flavor is night and day between PT2 and Cartos. Cartos all the way for me.

Just want to clarify a few things.

1- Your IBTANK is worthless if the carto is bad. I have 7 IBTANKS but without a good carto the tank is useless. With that said you bought the best tank for the best price in the market.

2- the difference between 2.0 and the 3.2 smokteck cartos is the volts you can use them at. With the 3.2 cartos you can have a more cool vape and with the 2.0 you can have a warm vape. Just depends what you want, but one is not better than the other.

3- I have tried all kinds of cartos and to me IKENVAPE has the best. With that said, he is coming out with a new 2 hole punched NITRO series. Try those when they come out, I believe you will be very happy with the performance and taste. They will be similar to the Smokteck you use but with a little denser filling

4- The priming method using the THINGY works, I have tried it, but I use the tooth pick method to prime cartos. Baditude has a blog on the forum of how you can do it. No right or wrong, just a preference.

Virtual Life

ECF Veteran
Jul 23, 2012
Miami, FL, USA
Well, by better I did mean flavor. I think production or amount of vapor is a little better but not by much, if at all. Longevity seems to be the biggest advantage.

Maybe my home made isn't good enough to tell a taste difference. :unsure: But even less than stellar juice is still same juice for comparison. It sounds harsh to say I am disappointed because it is OK, but I think I expected great, well, at least better.

Sounds like I should try IKENVAPE since this is not the first time I read that, but right now I am thinking along the lines of it is me. Meaning my taste will not distinguish nuances. I did see Baditude's blog and was going to do it that way until it arrived with that flyer, and I will also try that since I am getting more IBTankeds anyway. But this is unlikely to make a large difference, seems to me saturated is saturated however one gets there. Wrong assumption?

I have a cherry that is too cool in PT2 but didn't want to load it in IBTanked for the first try because it clogs my PT2 faster than anything else I have. Seemed like an unfair test. It will get one of these 2.0 I have.

As I read some before buying IBTanked I do not remember seeing that cool/warm is the difference between 2.0 and 3.2. (more likely I dismissed it because sometimes I like both) I came across multiple references to battery type and requirements of APV, but all mine are 10amp and I use VW so that was no issue for me.

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
6992 kilometers from home...
I started out with PT2s when I got my first ProVari. Hated them because of airflow/flooding issues. Replaced the bases with Tatroe bases, which made a world of difference. I ended up getting 12 PT2s. After a while, I tried a couple VapeRev carto tanks, then IBTanked carto tanks. I now have 14 carto tanks and the PT2s have been relegated to a shoebox...
As far as flavor, throat hit, vapor production and ease of use, IBTanked is far better than PT2s for me. I use the Smok 2 hole LR and standard resistance- depending on whether the tank is for my ProVape-1s or ProVari. Couldn't be happier...

New2vaps

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
USA
I did see Baditude's blog and was going to do it that way until it arrived with that flyer, and I will also try that since I am getting more IBTankeds anyway. But this is unlikely to make a large difference, seems to me saturated is saturated however one gets there. Wrong assumption?

Actually, it will make no difference what so ever. Just giving you options. Didn't want you to think the THINGY was the only way to prime the carto. So you are correct, as long as a carto is primed it doesn't matter which method you used.

As for the warm and cool difference that is just preference again. On a 3.2 you can lower your volts and have a cooler vape. On the 2.0 you don't have that much a play in the volts since it is low resistance.

As for telling the difference in flavor between clearomizers and cartomizers, try a more complex ejuice. It is hard to tell the difference that much if you are vaping a flavor that has a dominate taste or smell. Example menthol, orange, etc.

CalamityJess

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
The above poster is right, complex juices really shine in cartotanks. In fact that is about all I use if I'm not using a Reo, Taifun or a Protank mini with my own coils. I find most fruit flavors taste best in my Cartos. I only use my protanks for dark juices. My favorite cartos for my IBT are Smok dual punch (single coil) 2.0 or Boge slotted (single coil) 1.8 or 2.0 I forget which I'm using right now. The only time I've had a cartotank not perform well is with juice that is dark in color or too VG heavy.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
A cartotank with a great cartomizer will outperform any clearomizer. The difference is the amount and type of wick material. Clearomizers only use string wick (silica) to draw the liquid to the coil. A cartomizer is packed full of wick material (polyfill - more like cotton material). The end result is better flavor and more consistancy against flooding, dry/burn hits.

I've used the Thingy method of priming the carto. I guess for some folks it works great. I occassionally use it. I prefer my own method of drip and flick. The Thingy method is a "blind" method of priming the carto, IMHO. How many times opening & closing the cap is correct or adequate?

Dripping directly on the wick in the carto allows you to see how well & how much juice adequately saturates the wick. This is the most important step when setting up a cartotank; how well you do it determines how well that carto will perform for its entire life in the cartotank. When ready, the wick will look like a slushy drink.

I'm not saying one method is better than another. Whatever works for you, use that one.

FYI, after using a cartotank for a few minutes, the top of the wick will look dry if you remove the drip tip. This is perfectly normal. While vaping you not only pull juice from the tank into the carto, you also pull juice from the top of the wick down into the bottom of the carto. As long as the bottom portion of the wick (where the coil is) is kept wet with a properly wicking cartotank, there is no danger of any burnt wick.

Cartomizer Anatomy.jpg

Baditude's Cartotank Setup Guide

Edit to add: I forgot to mention that I also prefer using Ikenvape cartomizers. I use the 2.5 ohm standard resistance punched Platinum series.

Last edited:

SchmidtyKy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2013
Anytown, USA
I am going to follow this thread, as I am mainly a protank user who will be buying my own IBTanked soon. After looking at this thread and looking at Batitudes tutorial, I feel like this is going to be super complicated for me compared to the easy protank use.

I hope I can handle it without too much trouble in the beginning.

The reason I am looking to switch is to be able to better taste my more subtle and complex liquids. Specifically, some RY4 varieties that I have, so I'm hoping that the difference will be quite noticeable for me.

SnowDog

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 1, 2013
Springfield, IL
I am going to follow this thread, as I am mainly a protank user who will be buying my own IBTanked soon. After looking at this thread and looking at Batitudes tutorial, I feel like this is going to be super complicated for me compared to the easy protank use.

The reason I am looking to switch is to be able to better taste my more subtle and complex liquids. Specifically, some RY4 varieties that I have, so I'm hoping that the difference will be quite noticeable for me.

If you think the Protank is easy to use then you're in for a treat when you get your IBTanked. It might seem complicated but rest assured that it is not. In fact, ease of use and low maintenance are two of the IBTank's strongest points.

Don't let it worry you too much. You''ll be fine and I sincerely hope that you find yourself enjoying your IBTanked as much as I enjoy mine.

athousandyears

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
Texas

As SnowDog said, you are in for a treat. I use IBTanked exclusively now and a major reason for that is the simplicity.

SchmidtyKy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2013
Anytown, USA
I just ordered one today. The 19mmXL. I can't wait. I ordered a couple of extra cartomizers. Is there another site that sells the cartos I need for cheaper? These are $1.50 each. I'm not familiar with buying this product, so not sure if there are places I should check out for replacements. :)

Oh, and it's been shipped already!

SchmidtyKy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2013
Anytown, USA
So...Ive put my tank together...and a couple of questions...

Do the end caps come off? Or are they glued there forever? How to clean the inside of the tank when putting in a new liquid?

I also feel strange because the instructions that came with it were much more complicated than what I really did to get it set up. I hope I didn't skip something important. No leaking, and vaping is happening, so that's a good thing.

I primed the carto until juice started leaking out of the punched holes. So I think I got it done right. I Used a blunt needled syringe.

This carto tank does not sit flush with my spinner battery...even with the "beauty ring". Is that normal? Or did I put it together wrong? There is a cm or two between the bottom of the tank and my battery after it is screwed all the way in.

Thanks for your input!

SnowDog

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 1, 2013
Springfield, IL
So...Ive put my tank together...and a couple of questions...

Do the end caps come off? Or are they glued there forever? How to clean the inside of the tank when putting in a new liquid?

I also feel strange because the instructions that came with it were much more complicated than what I really did to get it set up. I hope I didn't skip something important. No leaking, and vaping is happening, so that's a good thing.

I primed the carto until juice started leaking out of the punched holes. So I think I got it done right. I Used a blunt needled syringe.

This carto tank does not sit flush with my spinner battery...even with the "beauty ring". Is that normal? Or did I put it together wrong? There is a cm or two between the bottom of the tank and my battery after it is screwed all the way in.

Thanks for your input!

Glad to hear that you got your tank.

The end caps do come off but there really isn't any reason to remove them unless they are causing your tank to leak juice. I've had my IBTanks for several months and I've never removed the caps. I simply never had the need to.

When cleaning the tank first remove the cartomizer using the Refilling Drip Tip. Leave the caps on and rinse the tank under warm running water.

I'm not sure about priming the carto until juice leaks out of the holes. I've never taken it that far myself. How does the top of the carto look? It should be saturated but not overly so. Even a little dry on top is OK.

There should not be a cm or two gap between your tank and battery post. That's a good size gap. Did you mean a mm or two? If so, that's about normal.

SchmidtyKy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2013
Anytown, USA
Glad to hear that you got your tank.

The end caps do come off but there really isn't any reason to remove them unless they are causing your tank to leak juice. I've had my IBTanks for several months and I've never removed the caps. I simply never had the need to.

When cleaning the tank first remove the cartomizer using the Refilling Drip Tip. Leave the caps on and rinse the tank under warm running water.

I'm not sure about priming the carto until juice leaks out of the holes. I've never taken it that far myself. How does the top of the carto look? It should be saturated but not overly so. Even a little dry on top is OK.

There should not be a cm or two gap between your tank and battery post. That's a good size gap. Did you mean a mm or two? If so, that's about normal.

Thanks for answering so fast. You're pretty awesome.

The top of my carto looks saturated, but there isn't a pool of liquid on it or anything. I guess I just didn't want any dry hits to start with so perhaps I went over board with the priming. I swear...I put almost 2ml of liquid into that thing before it started coming out of the holes. I saw that and though "well, I guess that's enough"...lol.

And yeah...the distance between the bottom of the tank and the battery is about 6mm or so (it's about 1/4 of an inch). Does that sound normal? It doesn't bother me a lot. But that is as much as it will screw on and I am sure I have the carto in as far as it will go (fits right in to the top end cap).

I think I'm just paranoid.

Oh, one more question. I know that sometimes with my kanger coils, it can take a couple ml's of juice before it really starts tasting right. Almost as if it has to be seasoned like cast iron cookware. Is that the same story with cartos? I mean, I have only taken a few puffs so far, but so far it has tasted ok....I guess my expectations were that it would totally blow my protanks out of the water. Does it take some more puffing before the carto is well "seasoned"?

Thank ya!

SnowDog

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 1, 2013
Springfield, IL
Thanks for answering so fast. You're pretty awesome.

The top of my carto looks saturated, but there isn't a pool of liquid on it or anything. I guess I just didn't want any dry hits to start with so perhaps I went over board with the priming. I swear...I put almost 2ml of liquid into that thing before it started coming out of the holes. I saw that and though "well, I guess that's enough"...lol.

And yeah...the distance between the bottom of the tank and the battery is about 6mm or so (it's about 1/4 of an inch). Does that sound normal? It doesn't bother me a lot. But that is as much as it will screw on and I am sure I have the carto in as far as it will go (fits right in to the top end cap).

I think I'm just paranoid.

Oh, one more question. I know that sometimes with my kanger coils, it can take a couple ml's of juice before it really starts tasting right. Almost as if it has to be seasoned like cast iron cookware. Is that the same story with cartos? I mean, I have only taken a few puffs so far, but so far it has tasted ok....I guess my expectations were that it would totally blow my protanks out of the water. Does it take some more puffing before the carto is well "seasoned"?

Thank ya!

If I remember correctly, you got the XL cartos. If that's the case then you should be fine. I don't know how much juice those hold but it sounds like you got it pretty close. I think the Standard cartos that I use hold about 1ml. I'm a firm believer that it's better to under prime than to over prime. I think as long as there is enough juice to saturate the coil at the bottom of the carto, the rest of the carto will saturate as you vape. I've gotten by with maybe about 8 or 10 drops in a new carto. I recommend keeping a close eye on it for the duration of the first tank full. Just as a precautionary measure to make sure it doesn't flood.

I don't know about the gap. It does sound excessive to me but I'm not sure. The best help I can offer on this is to post a picture of one of my IBTanks atop an MVP. There is a gap between the beauty ring and the bottom of the tank but it's minimal:

I have noticed that the carto does become "seasoned" to some extent. Nothing drastic but the flavor does seem to get slightly heavier as the vaping progresses. Having said that, I always enjoy the first few hits from a fresh carto.

I have to admit that I was hoping you would be delighted with your IBTank. Since I may have played a small part in convincing you to get one, I'm sorry it's not quite what you had hoped for.

SchmidtyKy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2013
Anytown, USA
I have to admit that I was hoping you would be delighted with your IBTank. Since I may have played a small part in convincing you to get one, I'm sorry it's not quite what you had hoped for.

Oh shoot! No need to be sorry. I'm always cautionary when trying new vape gear. It always takes me a while to really warm up to new things. In a few days time I am sure I will be enjoying this much more than my protanks. Just a "who moved my cheese?" type thing for me!
And besides, I was going to buy it no matter what. Your comments only made me feel more confident in my purchase, not to mention you are super helpful!

I think it's because I have the XL version that my tank sits up a little higher. It doesn't bother me. It seems to be working fine. I'm enjoying some Big Willie's Custard right now! And I didn't like their drip tips they had for sale, so I'm using this awesome wide bore drip tip on it from Vape Lyfe that is just perfect.

SchmidtyKy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2013
Anytown, USA
Update: Had my tank a couple of days now. Have been using it for my Big Willie's Custard. Delicious! I'm definitely warming up to this carto tank. No dry/burnt hits...no leaking. Have only had to refill it once (I have 9 other tanks I rotate with! I'm a juice junky.) but was able to do my first refill with no problem thanks to the handy refill tool thingy.

Love using my own drip tips on it. I'm using a nice green swirl ceramic pawn shaped one on it that I had. Also tried my nice wide bore tip on it, but getting a warmer vape by using the pawn shaped one.

When I buy another one, I am considering a smaller one, or even a halfling. Afraid of the halfling due to the cartos being more difficult to find at the other vendors I shop at, as I enjoy getting my hardware in one or two other places.

But for now, I'm enjoying this tank a LOT!

Thanks for your help and recommendations, everyone. Especially that SnowDog!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread