iClear16's breaking

Status
Not open for further replies.

atomizer mizer

ECF Veteran
Mar 1, 2011
USofA, Alabama
Sooner or later, polycarbonate pressed into a metal ring will come apart.
Metal conducts some of the heat from the coil, expands differently than the plastic, gradually loosening the joint. vaping known tankbusters in them shortens their lifespan drastically.
Wouldn't scoff at them, though. Good return for the money invested, even when they zonk out. Thats why using glue or epoxy fo fix them isn't worth the hassle.
The chems present in glue or epoxy... might just as well take up smoking again then
Sooner or later, polycarbonate pressed into a metal ring will come apart.
Metal conducts some of the heat from the coil, expands differently than the plastic, gradually loosening the joint. vaping known tankbusters in them shortens their lifespan drastically.
Wouldn't scoff at them, though. Good return for the money invested, even when they zonk out. Thats why using glue or epoxy fo fix them isn't worth the hassle.
The chems present in glue or epoxy... might just as well take up smoking again then
The purpose of this post was to find a replacement. I do find it worth the hassle to stretch these a couple weeks while I wait for my Chinese glass replacements. The epoxy was placed over the joint prior to breaking so I feel safe vaping these in the short term. I am more concerned about the long term effects of these flavors we inhale into our lungs over the long term. They were approved for a food additive that enters our body thru our stomach lining and intestines not our lungs. It looks like both my flavors are "tank busters". I use both granny smith apple and cinnamon. I never had problems with plastics before until using these pieces of crap. Thanks!

Last edited:

atomizer mizer

ECF Veteran
Mar 1, 2011
USofA, Alabama
The Kanger subtank Nano w/ the 1.2 ohm heads might work well for you as well as the aspire nautilus mini. They are both 18mm and roughly the same size as the iclear16. both are relatively inexpensive as well.
Thank you t2ak, I bought both the nautilus and the Aspire K1's to see which I like the best. Have you tried the 1.2 ohm heads with ego type batteries? Sometimes they cut off if the resistance is to low. Do you think they would work on VV ego type batteries?

t2ak

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 3, 2013
Puyallup WA
Thank you t2ak, I bought both the nautilus and the Aspire K1's to see which I like the best. Have you tried the 1.2 ohm heads with ego type batteries? Sometimes they cut off if the resistance is to low. Do you think they would work on VV ego type batteries?

I messed up. The subtank and the nautilus are 18mm but are slightly larger than the Iclear16's you are using. I have used the 1.2 ohm heads for the subtank but I do not know if it will work with the ego battery. The 1.8 ohm coil heads for the aspire nautilus will and I have used them before. Your best bet would be to use a VV battery to dial in your preferred vape and flavor.

englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana
No it was epoxied before a crack appeared. I'll watch for problems and am sure I'll be fine. Thank you

Good luck with it. I started using plastic egos before I got signed up on ECF. I had no idea why they were cracking, thought I was being too rough with them or something. They cracked just like you described, at the base of the tip. Then after a while some minor knock would cause the tip to break off. Then I got a PT2 mini with glass and didn't have to worry about it any more. It's definitely the way to go.

rmerullo

Jul 29, 2014
Ossipee, NH, USA
Another tank option to consider is the Kanger Protank 2 or 3. The Protank 2 is pseudo-rebuildable (not made to be rebuildable, but lots of folks have re-built the replacement coil heads themselves), holds 2.5 ml of liquid, which is a tad more than 1.6 ml but still manageably small. From what I understand, the Protank 3 is similar but features a dual coil.

These tanks are sturdier, and in the event that you do break the glass, you can pretty easily find replacement glass.

atomizer mizer

ECF Veteran
Mar 1, 2011
USofA, Alabama
Mister Mizer you can check my post history for evidence of my holier-than-thou attitude. Most epoxies are caustic enough that long-term worry won't even factor into the picture, but by all means do take offense to my legitimate concern and continue as you were.
I understand you were trying to help but most people don't respond well to an insult along with the advice. I am one of them. Safety had been mentioned prior to your post. Holier then thou may not have been a good description just my first thought.

wvducklady

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 23, 2013
US
Hi atomizer mixer! I just wanted to recommend a Pyrex tank to you that I have been using for a while. I am picky about the tanks I truly like :) I used the Smoktech ARO tanks for a very long time and still do, but I found the best tank for me that I just love; FBC tank FBC Clearomizers Dont be discouraged about the pen cap lol you can just set it asside. The coils are easy to rebuild if you rebuild your coils :) I hope you find the best tank for you.

skoony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
saint paul,mn,usa
The purpose of this post was to find a replacement. I do find it worth the hassle to stretch these a couple weeks while I wait for my Chinese glass replacements. The epoxy was placed over the joint prior to breaking so I feel safe vaping these in the short term. I am more concerned about the long term effects of these flavors we inhale into our lungs over the long term. They were approved for a food additive that enters our body thru our stomach lining and intestines not our lungs. It looks like both my flavors are "tank busters". I use both granny smith apple and cinnamon. I never had problems with plastics before until using these pieces of crap. Thanks!
putting the epoxy on first is a good idea.
the main problem i have with the sixteens is cracking along
the metal rings where the tank is inserted.
you mentioned replacement glass tanks. are they
different style? i have not been able to source
the iclearr16 tank as a separate part.
mike

atomizer mizer

ECF Veteran
Mar 1, 2011
USofA, Alabama
Hey Mike,
I just got back to this thread after getting my Aspire K1's. These are the "glass" I was referring to. So far they seem to have really good flavor and I cannot taste anything from the tank itself, no burning, no oils, nothing bad at all. It is almost the exact size as the iclear16 which is why I wanted this model. I bought the 1.8 ohm version which seems to work well at the same voltage as the iclear16's. Now if they last as long as the iclear16's I am sure I have found a perfect replacement.
I haven't tried the nautilus glass tank yet. Hopefully it will arrive soon.

Reactions: wvducklady

atomizer mizer

ECF Veteran
Mar 1, 2011
USofA, Alabama
Hi atomizer mixer! I just wanted to recommend a Pyrex tank to you that I have been using for a while. I am picky about the tanks I truly like :) I used the Smoktech ARO tanks for a very long time and still do, but I found the best tank for me that I just love; FBC tank FBC Clearomizers Dont be discouraged about the pen cap lol you can just set it asside. The coils are easy to rebuild if you rebuild your coils :) I hope you find the best tank for you.

I like the looks of those and it looks better with the pen top. I have had other tanks laying sideways in my coat pocket or car seat and they leak out so I could use a screw on top. I'll give it a try on my next order and thanks for the link as I buy most of my supplies from Madvapes.

atomizer mizer

ECF Veteran
Mar 1, 2011
USofA, Alabama
Well the Aspire K1's were delivered and it was a perfect replacement for the iclear16 tanks......until disaster. From about 5 hours into it I noticed I had to continue increasing the voltage for the same vape. The first head which came with the BVC was either a dud or a normal failure for these. The vape just got harder and harder until my batteries could no longer provide a good cloud. I decided to attempt a rebuild of the head even though I have ten others I had ordered with the tank. I could not find a single information video regarding how to do this on the K1 heads so I assumed it wasn't going to work but I was wrong. These heads are small, much smaller then what everyone calls the Aspire BVC heads which fit in their larger tanks.

I donned 3 pairs of glasses and began my rebuild. Once I figured out how to completely gut the head the part that failed was the wicking material. It is almost like rice paper cut into small 7mm x 7mm squares, stacked and compressed around the coil then pressed into the head. All the pieces of "rice paper" touching the coil had burned thru and began flaking off into the center of the coil wire. I used a 7mm x 30mm cotton pad used for makeup removal and re wrapped the coil and compressed that while I had a toothpick inserted into the coil so it kept its form. Then using tweezers and a prayer I pressed that back into the head and re assembled it. The rebuild taste just as good as the original and so now I am waiting to see how long it will last.

atomizer mizer

ECF Veteran
Mar 1, 2011
USofA, Alabama
Well the Aspire K1's were delivered and it was a perfect replacement for the iclear16 tanks......until disaster. From about 5 hours into it I noticed I had to continue increasing the voltage for the same vape. The first head which came with the BVC was either a dud or a normal failure for these. The vape just got harder and harder until my batteries could no longer provide a good cloud. I decided to attempt a rebuild of the head even though I have ten others I had ordered with the tank. I could not find a single information video regarding how to do this on the K1 heads so I assumed it wasn't going to work but I was wrong. These heads are small, much smaller then what everyone calls the Aspire BVC heads which fit in their larger tanks.

I donned 3 pairs of glasses and began my rebuild. Once I figured out how to completely gut the head the part that failed was the wicking material. It is almost like rice paper cut into small 7mm x 7mm squares, stacked and compressed around the coil then pressed into the head. All the pieces of "rice paper" touching the coil had burned thru and began flaking off into the center of the coil wire. I used a 7mm x 30mm cotton pad used for makeup removal and re wrapped the coil and compressed that while I had a toothpick inserted into the coil so it kept its form. Then using tweezers and a prayer I pressed that back into the head and re assembled it. The rebuild taste just as good as the original and so now I am waiting to see how long it will last.
Disregard my dislike of the K1's, I must have had a bad bvc coil. I replaced the first coil and it is still going 5-6 days later. I must have cooked the first bvc coil. I have yet to take apart a spare to compare the material used for filler but I am certain the original supplied with the k1 was not cotton and was more like paper. Also the original coil head that was cooked I rebuilt with cotton and it's still going strong. Still waiting on a Nautilus.

wvducklady

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 23, 2013
US
I like the looks of those and it looks better with the pen top. I have had other tanks laying sideways in my coat pocket or car seat and they leak out so I could use a screw on top. I'll give it a try on my next order and thanks for the link as I buy most of my supplies from Madvapes.
You are welcome :) Madvapes is my favorite place to get my equipment. I used the pen cap alot when my dog was a puppy just as a precaution even though I kept my stuff out of reach :) i really like the pen cap! I have been using this fbc tank since December, and it still works great.

atomizer mizer

ECF Veteran
Mar 1, 2011
USofA, Alabama
Eigate Aspire Nautilus Mini - 2ml
Kanger Aerotank Mini

The aero tank is smaller, and gives pretty good flavor. The nautilus mini is slightly larger in diameter but still pretty small and has killer flavor.
I finally received the Aspire Nautilus mini but quickly realized you need a very high wattage power supply to keep it going. It's not for me with my little ego batteries. Is the Kanger Aerotank a high wattage device too?

yuseffuhler

Ultra Member
Mar 28, 2015
Houghton, MI
I finally received the Aspire Nautilus mini but quickly realized you need a very high wattage power supply to keep it going. It's not for me with my little ego batteries. Is the Kanger Aerotank a high wattage device too?
Ive personally ran my Nautilus mini on my ego batteries. It's not quite as good as my box mod, but it still does great. What resistance coils do you have?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread