I'm doing it wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaka

ECF Veteran
May 2, 2010
Texas
Just got my UFS in the mail yesterday! When I first unwrapped it, I thought "Well, that looks simple enough... the atomizer screws in here, fill this up with juice, slap in a drip tip and vape. Right?" After a couple of hours of looking through videos and the User Guide from the wiki, that seemed to be pretty much it. So I screwed in an atomizer, filled it up with juice, slapped in a drip tip, and...

Got one great puff before the atomizer flooded, the draw became almost impossible, and the juice from the tank started sheeting down the side of my GGTS! :facepalm:

After cleaning up a couple of days' worth of juice and putting it all back together, I went back to Google and the GG stickies looking for some idea what went wrong. I was able to figure out that the juice leaked from the four air holes under the control ring, but that's about all I could find out. There was a little bit of juice in the collection tank, and a few drops left in the UFS tank, but the majority of it spilled out through the vent holes.

What am I doing wrong? :blush:

cypresss

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 4, 2010
The Shaolin NYC
www.youtube.com
There are a number of things it could be. First, make sure the air control and juice control are CLOSED when you are filling. This the number one thing that will cause you to lose juice (it happened to me). If a ton of juice gets into the control tank while you're filling, it will get messy. Once you're sure everything is closed, and the atomiser is screwed in tight, then fill. Since you've had issues already, it might be best to pause here. Just leave the UFS sitting for 10 minutes or so and see what happens. If there are leaks, then we troubleshoot from there. If there are no leaks, that will tell us something too. Oh, I almost forgot...vaseline all of the threads and o-rings on the UFS. IF, by chance there is a nick in a o-ring or something like that, the vaseline will help keep the seal. Plus it protects the threads and makes re-filling much easier.

Fuginazole

VAPOR EXTRAORDINAIRE
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 1, 2010
DALLAS
I agree with Cypress!! Make sure the air control and the juice feed controll are closed tight when filling then when its filled and all put together, slightly open the air control then open the juice control just a little bit at a time untill it starts to feed correctly for your type of juice!! I had mine leak the first couple times with my first UFS and it was because I didnt understand that I had the juice control open all the way not closed!! LOL... You will get it just takes some time!!! When you GET IT, its great!!!!

Jaka

ECF Veteran
May 2, 2010
Texas
OH. WOW.

Between the advice here, and a video recommended in another thread (Uninterrupted Feed System (UFS) - YouTube), I think I just got it.

I didn't understand the way the juice control worked, so I just made sure it was screwed down tight and figured I'd learn to operate it later. So when the draw was too tight, and I opened the air control ring all the way (which is how I used it when dripping, without the UFS)... glug, glug, glug, there went the juice.

Note to self and other UFS newbies: Don't open the air and juice controls all the way at the same time!

On my second, more-informed try, I made sure to "unscrew" the tank as far as it would go with an atomizer on (which, counterintuitively, closes the juice control!) and crank the control ring down tight. I had been using my current favorite 510 atty, which was a bit too short to seal at the top, and thought that may have contributed to the problem. I don't have an extension, so I went looking for the longest atomizer I have, and found the COV dual-coil I bought a while back and never got around to trying out. It fits beautifully. Filled it up and took a puff... well, tried to. Nothing. Impossible to draw. So I carefully opened the air control ring about a quarter of a turn, and...

BEST. VAPE. OF. MY LIFE.

The draw is smooth and easy, but not too easy. The flavor is fantastic. The body of the atty seems to stay cooler -- maybe the juice is helping cool it? -- so the metal drip tip doesn't get warm even on an extended draw. Even a small, casual draw produces the kind of cloud I'd usually get from a good 10-second pull on my Ego. I don't know how much of the change is due to the different atomizer, but... I'm sold. This is fantastic.

Last edited:

Valsacar

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 16, 2010
Seoul
One other thing to look at is it could just be the atty (but open juice and/or air during filling is most likely). I use the DC cartos in mine and maybe 1 out of a pack of 5 just doesn't work well. My current one is one of them, air barely open and juice closed and it's flooding... I'll be taking this one out shortly.

Para

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2010
Texas
I don't have an extension, so I went looking for the longest atomizer I have

Does anyone know if the AVS atomizer extension will work with the UFS?

UFS_AVS_Extra_At_4d7fefeab9e1c_90x90.jpg

The AVS extension doesn't have the slot cut into the tube like the UFS extension pictured.

GG_510_AVS_conne_4d81ace7505f3.jpg

If the AVS extension will work I've got an extra one I can send you

Last edited:

fright88

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 21, 2011
Loveland CO
Does anyone know if the AVS atomizer extension will work with the UFS?

UFS_AVS_Extra_At_4d7fefeab9e1c_90x90.jpg

The AVS extension doesn't have the slot cut into the tube like the UFS extension pictured.

GG_510_AVS_conne_4d81ace7505f3.jpg

If the AVS extension will work I've got an extra one I can send you

Yes it will. I tested mine out the day I got my UFS.

fright88

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 21, 2011
Loveland CO
Para, the AVS extension will put you to the right hieght on the old UFS & mouthpiece, but the new UFS doesn't have the same top it has the drip tip top so it would be of no use since you need to insert a drip tip. ;)

I think she already has a UFS mouthpiece. If that is the case it will allow her to keep full mode with standard sized atomizers. I have used my new UFS this way AVS atomizer extender with plastic UFS V1 Mouthpiece.

Para

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2010
Texas
Para, the AVS extension will put you to the right hieght on the old UFS & mouthpiece, but the new UFS doesn't have the same top it has the drip tip top so it would be of no use since you need to insert a drip tip. ;)

Didn't know she got the new one...just said hers came in the mail. If that's the case, why was she alluding that she needed an extender? Confused.......

blobe

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
paris
got my ufs today aswell, 1st attempt, same failure as the OP
then.. i cleaned everything, vaselined everything (i'll be on the lookout for dirty jokes!) and trying again.
Now, i've been using an afs with 901 drilled carto forever, and it's VERY easy, if the hole is right, everything is 100% easy, open the Air ring to the max, and vape, period -> .
Now.. the ufs, well for me it's still bittersweet.. i understand it could be nice, but right now i'm struggling hard.
1st and really for the UFS V56 PLEASE MAKE THE LIQUID CR "textured"
it's horrible, i never know when i'm opening it, or just unscrewing everything else, i hate this liquid cr with a passion...

Now.. i'm using a 3.7v with a LR atty and.. well hmm
it's nowhere near as good as my carto's with 6V even tho i though it should be the same (my mistake i guess)
So right now i have juice on my fingers andd vaseline and i'm trying to find this sweet spot. Hopefully i will.

By the way , imeo
MAKE THE LIQUID CR textured , PLEASE!
(the other thing i hate is my afs/avs whatever name it was drip tip seems it will fit to the Ufs, but just doesn't screw at all :d)
I'm a sad camper atm but i'll find a way

(did i mention to texture the liquid cr? please?)
Btw i heard if i want an easier liquid cr i could remove the bottom one of the 2 orings on the pole.. how do i do that without ripping it appart ?)

Last edited:

Jaka

ECF Veteran
May 2, 2010
Texas
No more asssumptions by me so I sent a PM for clarification and will figure it out from there

Read and replied. :)

The information I'm getting from videos, PDFs, and so on seems to be for previous versions of the UFS. I didn't realize that I had a newer version. Looking it over, I can see why using a drip tip might seem to make the extension a moot point, in that the drip tip drops in all the way to the atomizer rather than needing to bring the atty up to a certain height to meet up with a fixed mouthpiece. Kudos to Imeo for introducing that flexibility! -- although I rather like the coordinated look of the original mouthpiece, and if the metal ones will fit the new UFS, I'll be buying one soon.

Here's the issue I was originally trying to address: the atty was flooding, almost instantly.

My original suspicion: since the atty wasn't tall enough to mate up to the o-ring in the new mouthpiece-replacing-collar, some angle of tilt or quirk of fluid dynamics was pulling the juice past a seal that was supposed to keep it out.

After watching the video I mentioned above, I realize that the atty was actually flooding from below, because I was opening the juice control and the air control at the same time; the UFS tank would empty into the collection tank, when then emptied out the air control holes.

Now I have a different problem with a similar result, using a taller (dual-coil) atomizer. The new atty extends just high enough to seal against the o-ring in the top collar, and my drip tip slides nicely into that. However, when I try to make sure the juice flow is completely off (or when I've opened it a bit and want to shut it again), turning the juice control also turns the atomizer. The atty slowly unscrews from its seat, and next thing I know, POP! the UFS tank has come loose from the collection tank below it.

Worst-case scenario at that point is that all the juice runs out everywhere. Best-case scenario is that I keep it from popping free, but the juice runs down through the atty connection into the collection tank, and I have to grow three new hands and enlist both cats to remove the whole assembly from the battery compartment, drain anything left in the UFS tank into an empty container, remove the UFS, turn the collection tank upside down with a finger as a stopper, unscrew the bottom of the collection tank, and drain that as well to reclaim the juice, then clean everything up and start over loading the UFS.

This gets pretty frustrating when the UFS tank pops free while I'm loading it and haven't even started vaping yet.

I'm sure I'm missing something here, because this beauty is too well-designed to be nurturing a fundamental design flaw like "operating the controls breaks the system in the presence of a good seal". I've verified that the juice control turns in the unscrew direction to close, and understand now why it works that way. Is the "juice control" something more specific than turning the whole juice tank on its threads?

I worry that I'm being unclear. Let me try a tl;dr version.

The atty being screwed in is supposed to keep the UFS tank from coming completely unscrewed.
However, turning the UFS tank (and/or something else I do) unscrews the atty, so it no longer holds the tank down.
Then, when I turn the tank in the unscrew/close direction, it comes completely unscrewed and sometimes just pops off completely.
Even if the tank doesn't come all the way off, the atty "seat" fills with fluid so I can't just screw it back down, and that fluid then drains into the collection tank.
I'm pretty sure this means I'm still doing it wrong. :oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread