Status
Not open for further replies.

VNeil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2014
Ocean City, MD
The difference between 18mg at .9 ohm and 18mg at .3 is the same difference that a hill is to a mountain.
You are now suggesting that 0.3 ohm is some magic evil number, and that your malady is related solely to resistance and has nothing to do with the power applied to the coil, or the resulting heat ?

Reactions: ericbnc

gwapes6

Account closed on request
Aug 12, 2015
suggesting his 0.9 ohm builds were irrelevant to your case
Because it is. There's already been a few experts that have chimed in on this thread explaining in basic science the difference in vapor production between several points of an ohm. All have said that what I did was astronomically higher than what they would consier the norm at 18mg. "10 times higher" I remember someone saying. If you had read this thread you would have known that already. You're just embarrassing yourself at this point because you are late to the party.

Last edited:

VNeil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2014
Ocean City, MD
Because it is. There's already been a few experts that have chimed in on this thread explaining in basic science the difference in vapor production between several points of an ohm. All have said that what I did was astronomically higher than what they would consier the norm at 18mg. "10 times higher" I remember someone saying. If you had read this thread you would have known that already. You're just embarrassing yourself at this point because you are late to the party.
No, you are embarrassing yourself. I have read this whole thread. What some others have said here is that the POWER LEVELS you vaped at delivered a strong nic hit. That is all.

You are totally confused about the relationship between resistance, voltage, power, the resulting heat, and the resulting vapor production. It's all about power.

If you are strictly talking about mech mods then resistance is very important because it is the only variable in the Ohm's Law equation you can change. So in effect the coil determines power. Your battery voltage starts at 4.2V or so and declines to 3.5V or so. But a large percentage of users here use regulated mods, where the power level can be directly set (if a VW mod) or indirectly by boosting or cutting voltage.

I have two subtank Mini's with custom coils. One coil is around 1.4V, the other 0.5V. They vape virtually identically at a given power setting. I have no need for a 0.3R coil but if I had one it would vape almost identical to the 1.4R coil, given the same power setting. The minor differences may make one person prefer one over the other but the nic hits are virtually identical. And it is likely that I could make either one "better" than the other by tinkering with the coil builds, changing the total coil surface area.

It is very possible to build two 0.3 ohm coils and have them vape very differently. That by changing the inside coil diameter, wire gauge, and wraps. Those two 0.3 ohm coils could be made to behave more differently than my 0.5 and 1.4 ohm examples since in my case I tried to make them as similar as possible in terms of coil diameter and wraps. If the coil really mattered here then no one could likely reproduce your results simply due to build differences. But the coil is not that important here, it is primarily the POWER.

Because of the above, it is factually incorrect to suggest that someone else's vape, using some other resistance, is substantially different than your old 0.3R coils since they are likely using regulated mods. The member in question here discussed the POWER he set his mod at because he well understands what I just said here.

I would like to see the post numbers here or direct links so I can read what these supposed "experts" said about the coil resistance being the determining factor of your nic hit and how resistance alone could have possibly caused your problem. I doubt it because it IS NOT commonly believed here or anywhere else that nicotine causes the problems you've had, but I believe we went round and round about that quite some time ago as you went back and forth about what you actually think caused your problem. One day it's 18mg, another day it's 0.3 ohm coils and some days it's some mystical combination of both, but apparently unrelated to power levels as you now suggest.

Reactions: Gazoo2You

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
I think @gwapes6 might be having difficulties expressing himself here. I think what he means to say is that direct-lung hitting a high nic liquid at high power and doing that constantly in a chain-vaping manner might be dangerous.

But how the liquid gets on the wick (i.e. dripping, squonking, or auto-fed in a tank) is not really relevant. Hence "Dripping 18 mg" is not intrinsically dangerous.

Similarly, the resistance of the coil is not relevant, because resistance tells you nothing about the amount of power you're using (unless you're a fixed voltage mod and know what the voltage is). You can run outrageous power into coils well above 1.0 ohm with the right mod, just as you can run a 0.1 ohm coil at single-digit wattages with the right mod. So "Sub-ohming 18 mg" is not intrinsically dangerous.

So is direct-lung hitting a high nic liquid at high power and doing that constantly in a chain-vaping manner dangerous? It might be, I dunno, and I doubt we'll ever know because most people can't do that -- they'd get nic-sick and stop. Others who have a pretty high tolerance for nicotine (like me) don't do that because we have up lung-hitting anything at all when we were much younger, which might be why we're still alive. ;)

VNeil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2014
Ocean City, MD
I think @gwapes6 might be having difficulties expressing himself here. I think what he means to say is that direct-lung hitting a high nic liquid at high power and doing that constantly in a chain-vaping manner might be dangerous.

But how the liquid gets on the wick (i.e. dripping, squonking, or auto-fed in a tank) is not really relevant. Hence "Dripping 18 mg" is not intrinsically dangerous.

Similarly, the resistance of the coil is not relevant, because resistance tells you nothing about the amount of power you're using (unless you're a fixed voltage mod and know what the voltage is). You can run outrageous power into coils well above 1.0 ohm with the right mod, just as you can run a 0.1 ohm coil at single-digit wattages with the right mod. So "Sub-ohming 18 mg" is not intrinsically dangerous.

So is direct-lung hitting a high nic liquid at high power and doing that constantly in a chain-vaping manner dangerous? It might be, I dunno, and I doubt we'll ever know because most people can't do that -- they'd get nic-sick and stop. Others who have a pretty high tolerance for nicotine (like me) don't do that because we have up lung-hitting anything at all when we were much younger, which might be why we're still alive. ;)
Actually a lot of people have come into this thread reporting they vape 18mg or more at high power without adverse results. Including me, by the way, although I do not do that full time. From reading threads here though my sense is that if nic were evil at high powers we would have reports. We certainly have enough reports of people doing it (both in this thread and elsewhere in the forum)

Reactions: Coldrake

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Actually a lot of people have come into this thread reporting they vape 18mg or more at high power without adverse results. Including me, by the way, although I do not do that full time. From reading threads here though my sense is that if nic were evil at high powers we would have reports. We certainly have enough reports of people doing it (both in this thread and elsewhere in the forum)
OK, let me do it in bullet points:

• High-nic liquid
  • High power
  • Direct or deep lung inhales
  • Chain-vape style, not a couple hits a day.

If any of them is missing, we KNOW it's not dangerous, at least not to the point of giving people life-threatening lung damage within a year or two.

Reactions: B2L

gwapes6

Aug 12, 2015
  • High-nic liquid
  • High power
I won't dignify the few posts before this ONE with an answer because repeating how I vaped another time would be bordering on insanity. @Rossum you are 100% correct with your bullet points. THIS IS HOW I VAPED FOR MONTHS. Jesus christ the ignorance/denial of some users is pathetic.

VNeil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2014
Ocean City, MD

• High-nic liquid
  • High power

If any of them is missing, we KNOW it's not dangerous, at least not to the point of giving people life-threatening lung damage within a year or two.
And if all are present you have one data point suggesting it might be dangerous. Or maybe not. One. You can't make science out of one case reported on a forum. But you are thread drifting me. The OP suggested another vaper here was not the same situation as his, merely because that vaper used a 0.9R coil, verses OP's 0.3R coil. I took issue with him, insisting it is power, not resistance that "makes this dose". You agree with me but are now taking me down some other path and I'm not following you there. I simply do not believe what the OP was doing is anywhere near unique, according to your bullets. But I have no interest in researching things here to prove it with links and lists.

ETA: The OP originally came on here claiming that "many people" here encouraged him to do exactly your bullet points. So if OP has any merit to his claim, it is apparently very common here?

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
Ahhhhh..... The Silent Epidemic Card is thrown. There are a half million quarter million members on this forum. That isn't enough data points to determine that OP is a rare case?

Geez, have you ever gone thru the members list and seen how long it's been since many have posted? I got to doing that because I have a big "friends list" that goes back to 2012. There are other members who haven't posted since 2011.

Again, you do realize that people join forums and then don't cancel their membership, right? And never post again. How do you know what they are going thru?

the OP probably IS a rare case. Never said or thought he wasn't.

Rare cases is what creates a database of adverse affects. that's what most all adverse affects databases are. I bet the one for the flu shot has pretty high percentages. :)

Many don't have a problem with posting ad naseum that Chantix has created suicidal ideation in some people, but the studies show most of those people all had schizophrenia, schizoaffective disorder, or depression to begin with. It's actually a small number.

Ditto most every drug in every database.

As are most adverse affects databases.

The point is that this information needs to be collected. However, we have eliquid companies sponsoring world wide poker and race cars but very little in the way of studies. And I don't mean 1 study with 75 people. Or 10 people. I mean repeated studies and randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trials

What we have in this topic is a totally unscientific "well I do that and it didn't happen to me" trial :lol:

It's an interesting topic, that's about it. Rare or not, it will be interesting in the future to see what kind of cell damage and to what extent vaping creates versus just breathing air.

In a sense, all those silent people who left the forum eons ago and haven't posted....I have managed to contact a few, many have even quit vaping. Also, if they are battling a life threatening illness, chances are they are not going to come back on here to post. they are busy doing other things.

IN the rare instance that somebody DOES come back to give follow up, no dobut they will be harrassed just like those who posted about diacetyls back in 2010 were.

Unlike some of you, I find all information to be useful. Because WE ARE ALL ON INVENTORY FOR EACH OTHER. And by that, i mean the entire human race. Buckminster Fuller realized that.

I am grateful when people share information. Whether or not I take it to heart doesn't matter, it's inventory.

Last edited:

gwapes6

Aug 12, 2015
I took issue with him, insisting it is power, not resistance that "makes this dose".
You're not 'taking issue' you have time and time again try to derail my experience by feeble attempts to show that i'm uneducated or don't understand all while saying you've read the thread where my setup INCLUDING BATTERY have been stated SEVERAL TIMES. You're like a Social Justice Warrior. You make an attempt to derail and when it fails you wait, a few pages later you pop back in with your same argument modified slightly to make another attempt at derailing. It's pathetic. You realize every time there's an Database Insert (A post by you) that you are costing the site admins pennies.

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
Regardless of what caused his illness, he cannot, based solely on his own experience, suggest anything related to the fate of others. Yet that is what he is doing. And he is quite insistent on doing that.

And I don't disagree with you that he is doing that.

I suggested long ago that he get a handle on his emotional state over this, and he assured me that he was receiving counselling which does not suprise me, given his situation.

(Not sure what excuse other people use for bad forum behavior though. :lol: At least he has an explanation for his. :lol:)

On the other hand, discounting 1 person's experience based on the majority isn't necessarily instructive either.

Reactions: zoiDman

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
he cannot, based solely on his own experience, suggest anything related to the fate of others.

Really?

Then why are half the forum posts on every vaping forum "testimonials" from individuals, recounting their individual experiences, and suggesting that their experience will be the fate of others?

When there is always going to be the person or persons that that will NOT be true for.

Are they automatically "less important" or "insignificant" because their experience doesn't *conform*?

That is the herd bully mentality. The person who doesn't conform is made into a freak. Remember high school?

(see it ALL THE TIME on forums, don't use the crayon outside the lines. :lol:)

gwapes6

Aug 12, 2015
And I don't disagree with you that he is doing that.

I suggested long ago that he get a handle on his emotional state over this, and he assured me that he was receiving counselling which does not suprise me, given his situation.

(Not sure what excuse other people use for bad forum behavior though. :lol: At least he has an explanation for his. :lol:)

On the other hand, discounting 1 person's experience based on the majority isn't necessarily instructive either.
I would argue that given my current situation / mental state that it has no bearing on my lack of patience for the onslaught of derailers on this thread. My experience on this site thus far as been akin to jumping head first into a lion pit.

VNeil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2014
Ocean City, MD
Really?

Then why are half the forum posts on every vaping forum "testimonials" from individuals, recounting their individual experiences, and suggesting that their experience will be the fate of others?

When there is always going to be the person or persons that that will NOT be true for.

Are they automatically "less important" or "insignificant" because their experience doesn't *conform*?

That is the herd bully mentality. The person who doesn't conform is made into a freak. Remember high school?

(see it ALL THE TIME on forums, don't use the crayon outside the lines. :lol:)
You really like the straw man arguments. There is nothing wrong with the OP coming in here and reporting his situation. But he came in here complaining that forum members lead him to the slaughter house. And he has no factual basis to even conclude that vaping caused his problem, yet he insists it is so. He doesn't even have a medical opinion that such is the case. If you go back and read his OP you might see why many took issue with his approach. And having no clear understanding of the basics, such as resistance verses power, and being very insistent on technical issues he is confused about does not help matters. Nor will he accept factual corrections as we just saw here.

I'm sorry, this is not about bullying or nonconforming.

B2L

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2012
Jacksonville, FL
My take here... I don't believe VNeil is trying to discount Gwapes situation, but only dispute his ascertation that because of what happened to him (vape related or not) that vaping high nic at low resistances is either a) dumb, b)not possible or c)dangerous.

I, according to Gwapes, am going to die soon of COPD anyway, so I wanted to throw that out here before I kick off ;) (not putting words in your mouth, just messing with you :))

We are all guinea pigs at this point. The majority of the anecdotal evidence seems to suggest that vaping is much safer but some things can't easily, if ever, be quantified.

• High-nic liquid
  • High power

Rossum You left out diacetyl, I do all of these (actually my draws fall somewhere in between MTL and DLH and my nic is generally at 15) and I love custard/dessert type flavors. I have accepted that I am not vaping in the safest way possible but it keeps me off of cigarettes.

Am I a guinea pig? Yeah, probably so. Am I as safe vaping this way as opposed to tootle puffing on diacetyl free or non flavored juice? Probably not. Am I better off than when I was smoking? I have no doubt that I am. Would I recommend to someone looking to quit smoking to vape in the same manner I do? No, not by a long shot.

Sorry for the diatribe, just wanted to get it off my chest :)

ericbnc

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 28, 2012
Piedmont Triad, NC
What one person calls bullying or herd mentality is really just a call for accuracy. The OP is all over the place expressing his thought process in written word. Not using a very friendly tone erodes sympathy as well. We who have issue with the testimony as presented are characterized poorly in nearly every reply. Since he can't attack with logic he resorts to a lower form of written communication.

Reactions: VNeil
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread