I'm tired of the flavors... Mixing own juice - seeking advise

Status
Not open for further replies.

F-machine

ECF Veteran
Nov 24, 2018
Trapped in Asia
Of course, I absolutely cannot try every single flavor on earth, but so far everything I tasted are disappointment and on and on... Guesstimate... more or less 70 maybe 80 or close to a hundred flavors I tried at the local vape shop and online sellers sending free 5ml samples.

I personally bought not more than 10 flavors, okay maybe more but not more than 15 and honestly I only like two of them. The rest I bought out of embarrassment inside the local vape shop, tasting liquids for 2 hours and walking out without buying. So I just buy 2 bottles of acceptable but really meh flavors.

I like(not love FYI) chocolate from BLVK and tobacco from a local producer. Menthol and nuts are meh, but I mix it with others for the coolness and the aftertaste. Fruit flavors are absolute joke, if not disgusting. Just my opinion and I don't mind if some of you may like them.

I am here to ask, if any of you have the same feeling? I'm currently on a diet if one can say that in vaping. I am currently vaping 70VG 30PG and freebase nics, and without flavoring. I made it myself and I can vape on it all day without blaming anyone else. I need some advise where I can get flavorings on my own that I can mix and are safe for inhaling of course. Okay maybe not where if were half a world away. But just what you call them and if I can make my own flavorings from things readily available around most of us in the house.

Maybe honey? coffee? I don't like vinegar and soy sauce if someone wanna suggest that. :headbang:Just being funny there but the question and advise seeking is serious.

Lastly, I personally think tobacco flavor is misleading from a newbie perspective. I was looking for the smoking taste of burned tobacco, but the tobacco I get is somewhat like an extract of some sort. Taste bitter like maybe if you chew tobacco but the tobacco smell in smoking is never really captured. At least on the flavors I tried. I only like it for the bitter aftertaste but the 'barbecued lung' smell is not there.

Frenchfry1942

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2014
Reading threads, it seems people graduate to it after getting into vaping. It is a lot cheaper, and, well, just a part of the hobby.

I started DIYing about 2-3 years in.

Two ways of measuring; by weight or by volume. Since I measure by volume, I use syringes and glass measuring cylinders. Just measuring amounts of liquid. Liquid; being PG, VG, Nic, and flavorings.

Check out other posts for online stores and some recipes.

Speaking of recipes, I have never not changed a recipe from someone else. Never. Online juice purchases or someone else's recipe can be okay, but not something that I would say I am happy with all day.

One thing to remember about all juices mixed. They have to sit for some period of time for the different ingredients to "meld" together. Generally people say, "steeping" but that is not an accurate word. Some flavors, like fruits, will be easier to meld with PG, VG, and Nic, but others take longer. Also, we always think about the flavor melding, but few think about the PG, VG, and Nic melding. After you mix a bottle, shake it well and drip it in an RDA to get a base sense of the flavor. Write what you taste down. Shake often and try it about every 2-3 days in an RDA. If you like it, fill a topper. If not, let it keep steeping in a dark place (drawer, box, etc.)

2-3 weeks should be good for 75% of juices made. If it isn't good according to your tastebuds at that point, think how to adjust the flavors and make another small bottle. Take a lot of notes.

So, obviously, you will need a lot of tiny bottles. I got all my hardware on Amazon. As you are testing juices, you will need an RDA and a lot of wicks. I made about 10 recipients a week in 5ml bottles. Because I had to adjust the flavors to get it better, it was 4-5 months working on that one recipe. Once you get a juice more to your liking, mix for bigger bottles. I do glass bottles for larger recipes.

I started with 200 5ml bottles, 50 10ml bottles, 20 30ml bottles and some larger glass bottles. It was a fair starting point. I am up to about 30 good recipes and have 13-15 juices steeping or ready at one time.

When your recipe is in a bottle, remember to label it according to your notes. I just put a recipe number and the mix date.

Good luck!

P.S. Don't forget to get a Swedish chef's hat.

F-machine

ECF Veteran
Nov 24, 2018
Trapped in Asia
Reading threads, it seems people graduate to it after getting into vaping. It is a lot cheaper, and, well, just a part of the hobby.

P.S. Don't forget to get a Swedish chef's hat.

Too long to quote :D

Anyways... I'm currently looking for names and not even google can help me. Amazon is not available here but I'm still looking around. I need names for flavoring ingredients. Not even sure what I want to brew but I don't wanna visit the vape shop at this point anymore. I probably already tasted all what they can offer also looking online for some help and suggestion.

chanelvaps

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2013
Burbank CAlifornia
I have never heard of using household stuff for flavorings. I do remember feeling the same way as you the first year if vaping. Everything I bought was gross and I bought a ton of juices. Everyone around me would be raving about something like say "Pecan Pie" and tons of people would say it was great and I would get it and it would taste like Play Doh to me. It is hard to throw all that money away and not like anything. Someone directed me to Ahlusion and I found great flavors. That was years ago when I was still vaping MTL and once I started going into higher watts and lower ohms, they were no longer workable for me. By then other things tasted better anyway. Find a couple of easy, few ingredient recipes and make your own. It is cheap and can be done with minimal ingredients/tools. Sounds like you already know that if you are mixing unflavored. There is a thread "recipes for Dummies" that has easy peasy recipes

Reactions: F-machine

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
Ingredients, that are okay for ingestion (eating, drinking), are often not the best (safest) choice for inhalation (vaping). I would encourage you to stick with the flavor concentrate brands that are commonly used in making e-liquids. Here is a simple list to get you started (it is not, and not meant to be "all-inclusive):
Flavour Art
The Flavor Apprentice (parent name: The Perfumer's Apprentice)
Capella
Flavor West
Wonder Flavours
Inawera
Hangsen
Super Concentrates (brand)
Flavorah
One on One
Real Flavors
Vape Train Australia

Many of these are USA based. But, some are manufactured overseas. Flavour Art are made in Italy. Wounder Flavours is Canadian. Both Hangsen and Super Concentrates are Chinese. Inawera is Polish. And, Vape Train is Australian.

F-machine

ECF Veteran
Nov 24, 2018
Trapped in Asia
@IDJoel

Thanks man! I've searched the local online scene and I found some shops that offer flavorings. Very limited choices I must say and I have no idea of the base ingredients. It's PG+VG carried but nothing else written. I really like quick and easy stuff but also willing to go the long route if detours are unknown if safe. I guess what I want to say is I wanna know what's going inside my body. That's why I asked about making own flavorings.

Anyways, I'm tired of googling now but I did read a few articles about extracting stuff like tobacco, coffee, etc... I can't say if I'm going to dive in it but I might. Thanks for the replies... Sleep time! Cheers all!

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
Thanks man! I've searched the local online scene and I found some shops that offer flavorings. Very limited choices I must say and I have no idea of the base ingredients. It's PG+VG carried but nothing else written.
You're most welcome!:D I'm glad it helped.

Synthetic flavor concentrates rarely disclose ingredients at the component level. The one exception that I can think of, is TFA (The Flavor Apprentice). They still won't share their specific formulas (makes sense; as that would just be bad for business). But, they do share the results of gas chromatograph testing for the majority of their flavor concentrates. You can check out the data on their website here:
Perfumer's Apprentice

Click on the word "List" in the right most column, for any of their flavors, to see the testing results.
I really like quick and easy stuff but also willing to go the long route if detours are unknown if safe. I guess what I want to say is I wanna know what's going inside my body. That's why I asked about making own flavorings.
This is strictly my opinion, as I am not a doctor or chemist; but, I think there is greater potential for harm, when trying to make your own. There are obvious things that we know are unhealthy to vape... like sugars and oils. But, there are also additional things, like long and medium chain proteins, that have not been tested for inhalation safety, but are likely to be problematic.

Most home extraction techniques, can't filter and isolate, as well as a commercial laboratory. And reputable concentrate manufacturers (like the ones I listed above) are adding in only those components that are absolutely necessary to achieve the target flavor. Home extraction leaves way to much unanswered for me to feel comfortable with the idea. My idea of "safer" (because ALL vaping still assumes risk) is to leave the concentrates to the professionals. I respect others who may feel differently.
:)

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
Welcome to ecf.

There is a DIY forum here with all the info you need to mix and where to buy.

DIY E-Liquid

Should probably just start there. Scroll down the page and pick a thread. All kinds of info. If you need help, just open that thread and ask. Plenty of DIYers to help.

:)

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA

F-machine

ECF Veteran
Nov 24, 2018
Trapped in Asia
Could you define BLVK? Have not heard that one. Black Viking,Baker Flavors (VZ origins)?

BLVK is that Unicorn branded juices. IDK what to call them really. They say they are based in LA, formerly known as KnL E-juice. FAQs

I have never heard of using household stuff for flavorings. I do remember feeling the same way as you the first year if vaping. Everything I bought was gross and I bought a ton of juices. Everyone around me would be raving about something like say "Pecan Pie" and tons of people would say it was great and I would get it and it would taste like Play Doh to me.

I kinda laughed at my own writing too, I mean that was kinda like a desperation joke. I mean the household stuff for ingredients. I guess what I mean is stuff that I can easily acquire and I already know existed. I know it's not as easy as going to 7-11 and buying a pack of analogs, but I'm kinda doing it already, I mean 'the long route' just to stay vaping. But I'm glad you feel the same as I do. Disgusted with the flavors a million vapers will praise.

Have you tried NETs? I really like the diy net flavorings from Stixx Mixx, especially the American Virginian. Every brand of tobacco flavoring for me was a disappointment except INW Flue Cured, and Hangsen Tab and Gold & Silver.

The local brand I buy for tobacco flavored juice claims they use NET. True or not I cannot confirm. I can see foreign brands also available here, but checking their online sites and the ones available to me, I see different packaging and bottle, so I sometimes doubt if they are even genuine. So I just stay to what's available locally. I think it is still illegal to import e-cig products here. But I hope I am wrong. The news here are not good for vapers. Like medical warnings after medical warnings. And most smokers just stay smoking and the news maybe made them scared to cross over. :(

cf1.JPG

Left is what most of you can buy... Right is what's available to me.

I just ordered some more nics, VG + PG 1 litre each, 3 bottles of 120ml flavorings, coffee, chocolate and peanuts. Why those flavors IDK still. Maybe I like them, I mean the real thing. And all other flavorings available are fruits, milk and pastries. I don't really like sweet juices, and plain VG is already sweet and creamy to my taste buds. Wish me luck guys.

For the price of two 60ml bottle of branded E-juice, I will be making or rather mixing 2.5 litres worth of liquid on my own. I'm not scared, since I already mixed PG+VG+NIC in the past. I'm just worried that I will just throw away the results if I mess up adding the flavorings and end up tasting like crap.

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
3 bottles of 120ml flavorings, coffee, chocolate and peanuts. Why those flavors IDK still. Maybe I like them, I mean the real thing.

So you ordered 120mL of each of those 3 flavorings...without ever trying them in a smaller amount first? That's a huge amount to order from the get-go! Also, each of those you chose are usually used with other flavorings in a recipe, in order to make a finished eliquid. I've never seen/heard of them being used individually before.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I have a Harbor Freight parts box full of 10ml and 30ml flavors. 30ml is what I buy once I decide a flavor is worth continuing. 10ml is a test size.

Single flavor mixes are what I try to see if the flavor has promise. After that, I experiment with multiple added flavors in a mix here and there. Most of the time I can find published recipes that I like. You just have to mix, experiment, and work your way into finding the flavors that suit your taste.

Published recipes are worth trying. You may find a winner in someone else's creation.

F-machine

ECF Veteran
Nov 24, 2018
Trapped in Asia
So you ordered 120mL of each of those 3 flavorings...without ever trying them in a smaller amount first? That's a huge amount to order from the get-go! Also, each of those you chose are usually used with other flavorings in a recipe, in order to make a finished eliquid. I've never seen/heard of them being used individually before.

Yes because they don't offer anything smaller than 120ml. 4 dollars(US) each. All I mentioned is less than 35 bucks. Actually it's 33.2 direct convert plus $2 shipping and yeah, it's $35.00 total

Reactions: IDJoel

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
BLVK is that Unicorn branded juices. IDK what to call them really. They say they are based in LA, formerly known as KnL E-juice. FAQs

re: "I like(not love FYI) chocolate from BLVK and tobacco from a local producer."
Thanks, I see,thought you were talking about flavorings.

Reactions: IDJoel
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread