I'm trying for the most consistent vaping experience. So far I've been frustrated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nyght

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2013
San Diego, Ca
Buying another mod would be a waste of money, since you have a ProVari. IBTanks are what I mostly use. They are easy to use and fill, after a few tries...

Yeah, I wasn't really looking at another mod. I am happy with my provari... as long as I've got the time to jam a button without having my hands full to do something else (drive, knit.)

So, I agree and yeah, thanks I think the IBTanked is the right answer too. Y'all are fans of them. But, that says they're probably worth the fandom to me.

Nyght

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2013
San Diego, Ca
You could go for a lower gauge and then just do more coils to get to a higher ohm as well. If you use a cotton wick on your genesis, you have a couple of options on how to set it up. With the Kracken, there are two wicking holes instead of one. You can make a horizontal coils and run your cotton through it and each end in each hole. It's called a U-wick I think. My current build is simpler then that though and works fine. It's a vertical coil positioned directly over on the the wicking holes in the deck. I run cotton straight through the whole thing. It stays in place because I leave the cotton thicker on top, and I pull it through until it's snug in the coil.

Ah, thanks for the explanation of the multiple wicks! I was wondering.

I saw a u-wick and think that'll have to be what I do to obtain a higher ohm rating. Or, at least now I know it's not too much of a concern to just throw more loops on. I don't know why I felt five to seven was the best. :p Do you have to be concerned with hotspots with cotton builds?

Also is it basically the cotton you pick up at any drugstore (as you're getting your vg ;))

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I agree with the recommendations for an IBTanked Pyrex Cartotank. I've been using them for over 1.5 years as my primary juice attachments on my three Provari's. I recommend getting pre-punched single coil cartomizers in the 2.5 - 3.0 range for the Provari.

IBTanked Pyrex Cartotanks - Review

Baditude's Cartotank Setup Guide

Vendor List for Pre-Punched Cartomizers

IBTanked_Std_22mm_Tank.jpg IBTankedXL22.jpg

Having said that, since you have experience with rebuildable atomizers, I would strongly recommend going with a Kayfun-style tank as opposed to the Genny-style. These work on the negative pressure/vacumm principle like cartotanks do. Therefore they are not position dependent like the Genny's. I have a Kayfun Lite Plus using a 1.3 ohm 30g Kanthal microcoil using organic cotton as the wick. Superb flavor and vapor. I vape this at 3.0 - 3.5 volts on the Provari's. You can also build the coils in the 1.5 - 2.0 ohm range if you prefer vaping at a higher voltage.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/rebuildable-atomizer-systems/554710-what-makes-kayfun-so-great.html

Information Resources for Your First RBA

provari_white.jpg mini_kayfun.jpg

Last edited:

Nyght

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2013
San Diego, Ca
Oh, and if you were using a Trustfire, then I'd look into possibly getting more batteries and seeing how those go. I've heard a lot of bad things about the Trustfire. Maybe Baditude will pop in and be able to explain. I'm no battery expert, but anything with the word "fire" in it's name is generally not the best thing to use I hear. A charger can absolutely affect battery performance.

I'm sure, it wasn't 'my choice' but, it was the person I purchased the provari from. I hope... he used the batteries on a different charger, because as I said, it was in bad shape. I'd heatshrunk the wires, but obviously missed a place and that's what shorted/blew it (not with a battery in) I was unplugging it cause I never trusted it. I used it only seldom myself since I'd seen the initial fray and figured there might be an issue. I was 'right' and I only charged the batteries maybe once to twice on it. Have a single battery charger, but it's nothing to shout about. In truth, I'm fairly sure it's a no name. LOL)

I'll email him and maybe he'll let me know how often they were charged on it, or whatever other charger he has. He shifted to mechanical mods and his wife used 18490s, so, maybe these were saved the constant bad charging? I've only had them for 3 weeks, so again, not too much charging from me either. (especially with several to pull off of.)

Lethalp

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 29, 2011
Indiana
Forgive me but if the OP is using 100% vg are carto tanks the best option?
Myself I never got a carto tank to work for me. Either they leaked, or didn't wick right.
I use a zmax most of the time, but I also have other mods that allow me to vape lower than 1.6 ohm. I know it sounds like that's too warm for u.
I basically went from cartos to rebuildable drippers. I bought my coils for awhile, but finally got the courage to do my own. Best decision I made.
For me I don't care for most rebuildables with tanks due to the tank. Plus with a dripper, u have a coil, and some cotton and that's it!
Good luck

Tinkiegrrl

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2013
New York, NY
Yeah, I wasn't really looking at another mod. I am happy with my provari... as long as I've got the time to jam a button without having my hands full to do something else (drive, knit.)

So, I agree and yeah, thanks I think the IBTanked is the right answer too. Y'all are fans of them. But, that says they're probably worth the fandom to me.

They're a tiny bit muted compared to a genesis tank, I'm not going to lie. However, the difference is negligible in my opinion. They are completely worth it to me. I have two hour commutes to work on three different forms of public transportation. As you can imagine, consistency and hassle free are KEY for such a commute. I've tried a ton of clearos first and they all disappointed me. From muted flavor, to leaking, to just not working. I haven't touched a clearo for months save for boiling some of my old ones to pass on to someone else. I've got 8 IBTanked tanks, and even though I'm getting into building I'll continue to buy these for my daily commute work horses.

Not all cartotanks are the same though. Lower quality/cheaper tanks don't fit around the cartos as well and can slide completely off, leaving a mess. IBTanked tanks don't go anywhere without a decent amount of force behind it. The fit is really good, and I never have to worry.

Nyght

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2013
San Diego, Ca
Five Pawns liquid is a 50/50 mix. Do you get a reaction from that?

Innokin told you to go to the brick and mortar because they provide the brick and mortars with a small length warranty (I think it's a month or so). The store is supposed to exchange DOA items with customers because they are supposed to be able to be the ones who get the exchanges from Innokin. It's best to only buy from Innokin's list of approved dealers because of this.

I do... which is the juice I picked up and noticed the problems with :/ Sad, I really enjoy it! But, it's a very occasional vape now. It's not like I get hives, it's just massive thirst, slight swelling of the throat and with too much a lingering headache. I also have allergies to msg, I doubt they're related, but very similar reactions.

Ah, okay, thanks for clarifying. When I mentioned it to my b&m they didn't tell me that. :/ Hmm, have to ask them about that. :p (though, obviously they did return it, just ... felt bad. :p) I'll look on the website. It was vapure, I assume they're a licensed reseller, they had a lot of Innokin stuff.

Nyght

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2013
San Diego, Ca
Having said that, since you have experience with rebuildable atomizers, I would strongly recommend going with a Kayfun-style tank as opposed to the Genny-style. These work on the negative pressure/vacumm principle like cartotanks do. Therefore they are not position dependent like the Genny's. I have a Kayfun Lite Plus using a 1.3 ohm 30g Kanthal microcoil using organic cotton as the wick. Superb flavor and vapor. I vape this at 3.0 - 3.5 volts on the Provari's. You can also build the coils in the 1.5 - 2.0 ohm range if you prefer vaping at a higher voltage.

Thank you thank you! I was thinking the kayfun was another gen... so, thank you for clearing that up! *And explaining the difference*

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Oh, and if you were using a Trustfire, then I'd look into possibly getting more batteries and seeing how those go. I've heard a lot of bad things about the Trustfire. Maybe Baditude will pop in and be able to explain. I'm no battery expert, but anything with the word "fire" in it's name is generally not the best thing to use I hear. A charger can absolutely affect battery performance.
I would use only AW IMR batteries in a Provari. It's what Provape specifically recommends be used in a Provari.

For chargers, I recommend the following brand names: Pila, Xtar, or Nitecore Intellicharger.

I also recommend purchasing batteries and chargers from RTD Vapor for authentic AW batteries.

Tinkiegrrl

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2013
New York, NY
Myself I never got a carto tank to work for me. Either they leaked, or didn't wick right.
I use a zmax most of the time, but I also have other mods that allow me to vape lower than 1.6 ohm. I know it sounds like that's too warm for u.
I basically went from cartos to rebuildable drippers. I bought my coils for awhile, but finally got the courage to do my own. Best decision I made.
For me I don't care for most rebuildables with tanks due to the tank. Plus with a dripper, u have a coil, and some cotton and that's it!
Good luck

I haven't had any wicking problems with VG juice in my cartotanks. I use single coil, Smok cartos mostly, but for visibly thick juices I also like Boge slotted cartos, which allow for faster wicking.

Nyght

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2013
San Diego, Ca
This was my concern as well, though I do occasionally use some pg. It's not constant, can't be constant and honestly I'd prefer to get back to the all vg, now to 'break' my addiction to specific flavors. :(
Good luck
I am trying to love my RDA... and maybe I'll get the hang of the smaller wicking. Probably try a kayfun while I continue to fight with the smaller wicks LOL! Though, that's another 'home' thing I think. I don't know.. we'll see ;)
Some of the advice from Tinkiegrrl is really helping with my preconceived notions. Almost ready to tackle it again. :D

Nyght

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2013
San Diego, Ca
They're a tiny bit muted compared to a genesis tank, I'm not going to lie. However, the difference is negligible in my opinion. They are completely worth it to me. I have two hour commutes to work on three different forms of public transportation. As you can imagine, consistency and hassle free are KEY for such a commute. I've tried a ton of clearos first and they all disappointed me. From muted flavor, to leaking, to just not working. I haven't touched a clearo for months save for boiling some of my old ones to pass on to someone else. I've got 8 IBTanked tanks, and even though I'm getting into building I'll continue to buy these for my daily commute work horses.

Not all cartotanks are the same though. Lower quality/cheaper tanks don't fit around the cartos as well and can slide completely off, leaving a mess. IBTanked tanks don't go anywhere without a decent amount of force behind it. The fit is really good, and I never have to worry.

Thanks again, yes, you would know and I appreciate the vast knowledge being passed along to me.

I am curious about the vg aspect that Lethalp brought up. Was one of my initial concerns. Besides a smok carto doing that exact thing to me. When I'm driving I certainly... well, okay, honestly I never want to deal with a tank coming off and being soaked with juice. I'd rather vape it :D

As for the muted flavor, I can't imagine it'll be nearly as bad as with the eroll mute. Again, I get used to it. But, initially it's like, where has my flavor gone. :p

Nyght

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2013
San Diego, Ca
I would use only AW IMR batteries in a Provari. It's what Provape specifically recommends be used in a Provari.

For chargers, I recommend the following brand names: Pila, Xtar, or Nitecore Intellicharger.

I also recommend purchasing batteries and chargers from RTD Vapor for authentic AW batteries.

Good to know, I got burned on that already once. :/ Thankfully it was only with 350s instead of 490s though. As well that it was only to see if that's why I was having shortened life. Someone mentioned my batteries might be old which might be why they were so lacking in charge. But, the new ones were worse than my old ones. I have to make an order with provape, so I'll get them from there this time.

Then go with RTD next time if I need to. (Charger, first on the list, then tanks ;))

Nyght

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2013
San Diego, Ca
I just wanted to say thank you... everyone who's taken the time to respond (and read or skim) my overly long post.

Offer suggestions to help me succeed in my first day (and those to come) of not smoking analogs.

I really appreciate all of your time and suggestions. I know it'll even out and once I'm set up I'll be happily vaping along like everyone with consistency. Then I can help someone else along their way.

I'll look into those slotted cartos too! ;)

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
carto-punch.jpg Carto Punch Tool

tool-punched carto.jpg Tool-punched cartomizer

refil drip tip.jpg IBTanded refill tank tool

I have used the 2 hole pre-punched cartomizers with 100% vg juices and not had issues. However I do have a carto punch tool to punch a larger hole in the carto should I ever need to with an especially thick juice. The larger hole prepunched cartos and slotted cartos offered by Boge and Ikenvape probably aren't a bad idea if you can get them for thick juices.

Also don't forget to get a tank refill tool like the one above from IBTanked. It makes setting up a cartotank and refilling it later so much easier.

Tinkiegrrl

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2013
New York, NY
Thanks again, yes, you would know and I appreciate the vast knowledge being passed along to me.

I am curious about the vg aspect that Lethalp brought up. Was one of my initial concerns. Besides a smok carto doing that exact thing to me. When I'm driving I certainly... well, okay, honestly I never want to deal with a tank coming off and being soaked with juice. I'd rather vape it :D

As for the muted flavor, I can't imagine it'll be nearly as bad as with the eroll mute. Again, I get used to it. But, initially it's like, where has my flavor gone. :p

If you're concerned about VG wicking well, you can get slotted cartos instead of punched cartos from Surevapes. They have mulitbox deals on Boge cartos. The thing about Boge though, is that the filler material is more dense, so it takes longer to prime them. It's a minor annoyance to me that I'd just rather do without, considering the fact that I usually have a 2 year old child hanging on my leg.... You shouldn't worry about tanks sliding off the carto with IBTanked though. I've lifted my entire device by the tanks, and the cartos don't slide out. For additional protection against this though, stick to flanged Smok cartos, which will keep a tank from sliding down, and drip tips with a wide base like Ming shaped drip tips that will keep a tank from sliding up. With both, even a cheap, loose fitting tank can pretty much stay in place. In fact, I have a hand blown glass tank that uses silicone grommets instead of end caps and o-rings due to the tank being blown in the shape of an egg. This one doesn't fit on the cartos as well, but it's so pretty I need to use it anyway! I use flanged cartos and a wide drip tip on it, and haven't had any issues or messes from it.

Blackboar

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2014
Upper Marlboro, MD
I also use my Provari Mini most of the time. I bounce between a Kayfun Lite+ and a genny (albeit in the form of a Smoktech RSST). I build them both to about 1.6ohms and use the Provari at 3.7-4.1v. They both have given me consistent vapes.

On the genny, I use a hollow stainless steel wick and wrapped it with 30ga kanthal. I used a 5/64 drill bit to roll the wick, then I put the whole thing in the wick hole and wrap my coil around it. At the end, I pull the drill bit out and do my pulsing and working out shorts on a cheap mech mod. It does not leak much for me unless I leave it horizontal for a long period of time. In fact, when I'm driving, I lean it on a 30 degree angle in the door handle of my car. No leaks. I get a small drop of eliquid in the battery connection at the end of the night, but that's it.

If you decide to get a Kayfun style, you'll be happy to know, a properly built Kayfun is pretty much leakproof. This assumes the vacuum seal was done correctly. After you build it, you'll find out if the vacuum was sealed properly pretty quickly. Honestly the Kayfun Lite is probably the airflow (tighter) that you're looking for. Give it a shot if you can.

I also recommend getting a new charger and batteries. I love my Nitecore i2. It's the best $15 I ever spent for a charger. I use Efests (red ones) and AW's in my Provari (all 18350's). For me, I don't notice the difference, but for peace of mind, I use the AW's most of the time now and the Efests as backups.

Good luck to you and hope you find that consistent vape that kicks away the analogs for good!

Tinkiegrrl

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2013
New York, NY
I also use my Provari Mini most of the time. I bounce between a Kayfun Lite+ and a genny (albeit in the form of a Smoktech RSST). I build them both to about 1.6ohms and use the Provari at 3.7-4.1v. They both have given me consistent vapes.

On the genny, I use a hollow stainless steel wick and wrapped it with 30ga kanthal. I used a 5/64 drill bit to roll the wick, then I put the whole thing in the wick hole and wrap my coil around it. At the end, I pull the drill bit out and do my pulsing and working out shorts on a cheap mech mod. It does not leak much for me unless I leave it horizontal for a long period of time. In fact, when I'm driving, I lean it on a 30 degree angle in the door handle of my car. No leaks. I get a small drop of eliquid in the battery connection at the end of the night, but that's it.

If you decide to get a Kayfun style, you'll be happy to know, a properly built Kayfun is pretty much leakproof. This assumes the vacuum seal was done correctly. After you build it, you'll find out if the vacuum was sealed properly pretty quickly. Honestly the Kayfun Lite is probably the airflow (tighter) that you're looking for. Give it a shot if you can.

I also recommend getting a new charger and batteries. I love my Nitecore i2. It's the best $15 I ever spent for a charger. I use Efests (red ones) and AW's in my Provari (all 18350's). For me, I don't notice the difference, but for peace of mind, I use the AW's most of the time now and the Efests as backups.

Good luck to you and hope you find that consistent vape that kicks away the analogs for good!

Yep! I use the same exact charger. Charges my batteries quickly, and no worries. They also have a 4 bay i4 that I may buy if I can switch my husband to a device with removable batteries. His iTaste VVv3's are on their way out I think. Well, one definitely is. The other may make it to a year. If I can talk him into switching, we'll need a larger one then the i2

Nyght

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2013
San Diego, Ca
View attachment 331328 IBTanded refill tank tool ... Also don't forget to get a tank refill tool like the one above from IBTanked. It makes setting up a cartotank and refilling it later so much easier.
A bit confused how this works, but thanks for the pics! As well as the advice! You're all really helpful :D

If you're concerned about VG wicking well, you can get slotted cartos instead of punched cartos from Surevapes. They have mulitbox deals on Boge cartos. The thing about Boge though, is that the filler material is more dense, so it takes longer to prime them. It's a minor annoyance to me that I'd just rather do without, considering the fact that I usually have a 2 year old child hanging on my leg.... You shouldn't worry about tanks sliding off the carto with IBTanked though. I've lifted my entire device by the tanks, and the cartos don't slide out. For additional protection against this though, stick to flanged Smok cartos, which will keep a tank from sliding down, and drip tips with a wide base like Ming shaped drip tips that will keep a tank from sliding up. With both, even a cheap, loose fitting tank can pretty much stay in place. In fact, I have a hand blown glass tank that uses silicone grommets instead of end caps and o-rings due to the tank being blown in the shape of an egg. This one doesn't fit on the cartos as well, but it's so pretty I need to use it anyway! I use flanged cartos and a wide drip tip on it, and haven't had any issues or messes from it.

Just love that picture. The two year old hanging off the leg, with an egg shaped tank. :Snickers: Great ideas!

Perfectly wonderful information. I imagine how this could lose someone, but that's precisely the type of advice I'm trying for. Though I did end up picking up some thinner wire, in case I can't get the 30/32g to behave. I'm rebuilding my z-atty tonight, since it does sound as if it's about time.

Yep! I use the same exact charger. Charges my batteries quickly, and no worries. They also have a 4 bay i4 that I may buy if I can switch my husband to a device with removable batteries. His iTaste VVv3's are on their way out I think. Well, one definitely is. The other may make it to a year. If I can talk him into switching, we'll need a larger one then the i2
I ended up getting the 4bay nitecore charger from the local b&m. For just another 10 bucks I was like, might as well have it so I'm not waiting. This way, I can help out peeps who might be around vaping too. ;) So, charger down and kanthal. I'll look into the kayfun or the nautilus soon and hopefully that'll alleviate all my issues. As of yet though, I haven't purchased anymore analogs, so even with the slight difficulties, I'm doing well :) Thanks again, all of you that took the time to answer (and read) my query! I truly appreciate it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread