The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

I'm watching threads...

Discussion in 'Site Feedback and Help' started by Fredman1, Mar 15, 2018.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Fredman1

Fredman1 Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Mar 27, 2017
    New Zealand
    ....but don't get alerts. Some threads I do, some I don't.
    I stumble on this interesting thread and want to watch it, only to find out I am watching it. Since i've "watched" it, it moved on in multiple pages.
    That, I discovered has happened with multiple threads I have on "watch"...
    How come certain watched threads gives me alerts and others don't?

• Like Like x 2
  2. Letitia

Letitia Therion/Nano Junkie ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    My first guess is you are not getting alerts for threads you are only lurking on and not posting.

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. stols001

stols001 Mistress of the Dark Nicotinic Arts Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 30, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    I think it depends on how many threads you have on "alert" and possibly how often you post to them, is what seems to make sense to me by watching my "alerts". Like, if there is a lot of activity on a thread you are posting on you may see more alerts for that "thread" whereas others only pop up after some time has gone by or something? It's like the "alert" system can only keep track of so much and then "provides" you its best capability based on how much you like it. I'm not explaining things very well, but if you have too many "watched" threads, some of them will eventually go dormant or something.

I try to clear out some of my "alerts" every once in a while, but no the "alert" system is inconsistent and whatnot, and I think if you have "many" watched threads, sometimes you won't get an alert, even if it's a thread "you" are very fond of, etc.

IDK... I often won't get an "alert" period, or not until the next day, or never.... I usually go through my "watched" threads every once in a while to see what I can remove, or what I am missing and etc.

Anna

4. Fredman1

Fredman1 Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Mar 27, 2017
    New Zealand
    Yeah I have the same thing on another forum (bonsai) that i'm on.
    Some threads I comment on and some not. Its like it alerts for a while and then automatically assume that you've lost interest (which isn't the case).
    I imagine its one of the more complex things for the system to regulate.
    The only silution I see (apart from talking more) is to go through my watched threads more often...
    Thanks you two...:thumb:

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.