Immune Response Against Nicotine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nimaz

ECF Veteran
Sep 20, 2015
The proposal is not new. A way that some smart scientists are pursuing to "help smokers overcome their addiction". The goal is to educate the immune system to see nicotine as a foreign entity and prompt an immune response that blocks nicotine activity. From my stand point, this approach won't help because more nicotine would be needed to fulfill one's addiction. There is some aspects in the proposal that I may not think of too. An nicotine-induced, immune-mediated withdrawals is you wish, where even high levels of nicotine in the body wouldn't be enough to appease that craving. Nicotine vaccine failed in clinical trials a few years ago!

Why am I bringing that up? You may wonder... Well, PG is commonly used in several type of vaccine, known as a carrier, PG also has immunostimulating activities. PG combined with Aluminum is also used to enhance the immune response against killed, inactivated pathogens and antigens for over decades. Nicotine needs to form aggregates with other compounds in our vape to mount an effective immune response. The theoretical "nicotine" complexes would need to go through, to our blood stream too... Can it be in our vapor? Are we mounting an immune response to nicotine without knowing it? I honestly don't know but it's not unthinkable and maybe feasible! It's actually easy to assess with a rigorous experimental design, serum from some of us and a very straightforward, relatively cheap assay known as ELISA... Is it a good idea? Maybe, maybe not but sooner or later some smart scientists will get to it... especially if they read this. If it's the case, It may be a breakthrough with a broad range of applications! I don't think anyone have tried this experiment yet, but it may worth the trial... If you have any thoughts, comments or clues, I am interested to know.

Last edited:

Nimaz

ECF Veteran
Sep 20, 2015
I cannot resist to take that thought a bit further. Actually much further... If PG is immunostimulating when inhaled, vaping may also enhance immune response to pathogens, thereby, promoting protective effects against infections, especially to airborne pathogens. Even better and against all odds , vaping may show some protective effects against cancer by enhancing immune response to tumors, a process of great interest in the immuno-oncology field. There is obvious arguments against this theory, but who knows yet... so even if many scientists are looking for the negative long term health impact of vaping excluding, of course, smoking cessation, others could pursue more optimistic views ;).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread