Inconsistency in Aspire BDC heads?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TyEllen

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 5, 2013
Grand Rapids
I've had my two tanks for a about a week now and they are great except when I change flavors I swap heads for the new flavors. I have one tank with an ecto cooler in it that works flawlessly just like most peoples reviews. The other is kind of hit or miss, one coil with work well and the next won't. These are all 80/20 mixes and all from the same supplier Mrs. T's Bakery. He problems seem to be with wicking or the lack there of. Anyone have any thoughts?

2coils

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 29, 2012
New Jersey
All I can add is my Smooth Criminal 50 50 mix, refuses to wick in these things. Every other 50 50 liquid works flawlessly in them. It drives me nuts as I vape at least 30 mls of S.C a week. I even tried to thin it out with some pg. No luck. As far as consistency of the coils, they overall seem to perform really well!

peterforpats

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 3, 2013
rounding third and heading home...
Do you have the two hole or four hole heads?

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

there should only be two hole heads- whoever sold you four hole heads should take them back and provide the correct two hole heads. four hole heads were pre- production and if some company is trying to unload these they need to stop. there is a reason they decided to go with the two hole design- it doesn't leak like the four hole design.

GoodNews!

Moved On
Oct 25, 2013
Vaping, USA
I didn't get good luck out of the Aspire. I first tried an extremely watery rum juice which was mostly PG, and all I got from it was a predominantly yeasty taste that probably meant the top coil was running a bit dry. I tried Halo's Cafe Cocoa (a yummy juice, predominantly PG but slightly thicker) and it made it instantly taste like a charred popcorn kernel. I also tried a very watery Watermelon which didn't give me a lot of flavor (about as hazy as the rum) yet the nicotine was too high, which gave a really harsh vape on the Aspire.

Personally, for me, I question the design of the heads, and why one hole isn't located right where the top coil is, and another hole at the bottom. It'd take way more than air suction for the juice to absorb in the filler material and then go up to the top coil and provide a fully saturated wick. It's just physically-speaking quite impossible. Before anyone takes PB's review into too much account, he was using Boba's Bounty, and that's a juice that'd certainly cover up the taste of a dry-ish wick that was underperforming by a bit - but it would indeed make other juices taste funky.

The best review for any device is to try out fruity and soft flavors with no nicotine - tobaccos and gram crackers and high nic and things like that can override the defects one would taste once they get around to a lighter flavored juice.

mgavilondo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 19, 2013
I have a completely different experience vaping exclusively with the Aspire-ET on my Itaste V3 @8.5V with a 1.8 coil. This is the same coil I've been with for almost 2 weeks. Flavor is consistently strong and have been heavily vaping Spurberry, MVP, Truth Serum by Roar Vapor... Only problem I had was when I put a tank of Lime in da coconut and it tasted like burnt feet and I freaked out thinking the coil was spent and knew I can't dry burn this thing back to health... So I just took it apart and ran hot water over it dryed it and loaded up again and back to vaping deliciously once again. Most of the reviews for this tank have been stellar so I'm wondering if you just got a lemon and maybe it's the build of your tank...just ordered heads from MFS so can't comment on the inconsistency of the heads yet and at $15 for the order I hope it was just a once off for you and not indicative of the head itself

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

efinch

Jan 15, 2013
Mansfield
I received my aspire Pyrex vivi nova style Saturday, all I can say is these things have been way overhyped. I really don't see why. They're ok, but if you ask me I still prefer the protank withdeither stock heads, or micro coil and cotton. The glass on the aspire is paper thin, the first tank I was sent was cracked. 1 of the heads just flooded and upon closer inspection was not firing at all. Tried moving the pin etc and nothing. I have seen the new davide will use these heads which is a plus as it's a much better tank but again I really don't see the need for these heads. Just my 2 cents anyway

Agamer

ECF Veteran
Feb 11, 2014
United States
Rip Trippers did a good video about these things and rebuilding them. If you are into trying that it is very helpful. I noticed a huge change in them after doing this method.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwgkYUgZXHI

Also I modified how i rebuild them to this method. It is a bit advanced and should not be done unless you are into tinkering. Also it changes the head from a dual coil to a single coil.

Take the head apart like he shows in the video
1-once the head is apart toss the little filler material that goes between the cap and cup
2-toss the insert that goes between the coil and the cup
3-take a 1/32 drill bit and made the two stock holes bigger (do this while the cap is off the unit so you don't damage the inner guts)
4-wrap your coil and reinsert it into the cup and reassemble it the way he does in the video up to the point of putting the cap back on
5-roll a cotton wick that sticks out about 3 inches on each side (this method does not work with silica)
6-screw the cup into your tank base
7-insert one side of the wick through the hole and then insert the other side through the other hole
8-prejuice the wick you do not want to dry burn the cotton or it will actually burn
9-slowly lower the cup while carefully pulling the cotton through
10-turn the cup about an 1/8th of a turn and then press fit it onto the cup
11-flip the whole thing over and press it against a hard surface to fully seat the cap on the cup
12-trim the wicks to about 2mm outside of the cups
13-fill your tank and put everything back together let it sit for about 10 min take a few primer puffs and you are good to go

blueGrassTubb

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 21, 2014
The Bluegrass
I have had the very same wicking problem with my Aspire heads.

I've been using the Aspire ET-S BDC with the 2.1 ohm heads for about 10 days now and anything thicker than 50/50 simply will not wick correctly leaving at least 1/2 of my hits burnt when I'm using it on anything other than an eGo Twist style battery at the lowest voltage. When I try it on my Cool Fire 1 (fixed 8.5 watts) or iTaste 134 mini (variable wattage) with my Ragtime Vapor Honky Tonk (a dark, nutty tobacco with hints of banana that has a very heavy taste which should cover up atty deficiencies) I get a burnt hit virtually every time. On an eGo style battery at the lowest setting it vapes great. This juice also vapes great with an Aspire Nautilus up to about 8.5 watts (using 1.8 ohm heads).

That said I have been vaping the Highbrow Vapor 70/30 pure pear (very delicate flavor and won't hide any head deficiencies) at 9.5 watts on my iTaste 134 for days without a single burnt hit. Another 50/50 pg/vg mix (723 Vapor Grape Sucker) also vapes well at 8.5 watts.

I like the tank itself, but the heads suck. I hope Aspire figures out a solution to this issue.

XfooYen

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 11, 2012
SoCal
I have had the very same wicking problem with my Aspire heads.

I've been using the Aspire ET-S BDC with the 2.1 ohm heads for about 10 days now and anything thicker than 50/50 simply will not wick correctly leaving at least 1/2 of my hits burnt when I'm using it on anything other than an eGo Twist style battery at the lowest voltage. When I try it on my Cool Fire 1 (fixed 8.5 watts) or iTaste 134 mini (variable wattage) with my Ragtime Vapor Honky Tonk (a dark, nutty tobacco with hints of banana that has a very heavy taste which should cover up atty deficiencies) I get a burnt hit virtually every time. On an eGo style battery at the lowest setting it vapes great. This juice also vapes great with an Aspire Nautilus up to about 8.5 watts (using 1.8 ohm heads).

That said I have been vaping the Highbrow Vapor 70/30 pure pear (very delicate flavor and won't hide any head deficiencies) at 9.5 watts on my iTaste 134 for days without a single burnt hit. Another 50/50 pg/vg mix (723 Vapor Grape Sucker) also vapes well at 8.5 watts.

I like the tank itself, but the heads suck. I hope Aspire figures out a solution to this issue.

To my knowledge, Ragtime Vapor juice is high VG (around 70%). It is probably best for dripping or gennie, but if you add a few drops of DISTILLED WATER to your bottle of juice to thin the viscosity, you should have no problems using it in any BCC/BDC setup. Just make sure you add only a couple drops at a time and shake well to achieve the viscosity you desire. I do this to many thick VG juices with great success. That Ragtime juice is worth it. Great stuff there. :vapor:

roadkill46

ECF Veteran
Mar 13, 2010
Arizona
i use Aspire BDC's and T3's exclusively. my grand kid knocked my MVP2 over and cracked the tank on my first BDC so off to the B&M when i got some BB from Alien Vapor 70/30 pg/vg...works great. but the caveat to it is that i have a separate tank for every juice i use, color coded for no confusion or mixing of flavors, so i have nothing to offer when it comes to taste and just changing the burner.

i like the double burner, but the T3's are my go to the most and i have not changed an atty in months. but i have had no problems with any Aspires yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread