Increasing/ decreasing nic: A formula?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Badical9

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I have a bunch of free sample juice from MBV and I was wondering if anyone had an easy formula for increasing or decreasing the nic to a certain level.

Heres an example: I have a 15ml bottle at 12mg strength. I'm guessing out of that 15ml bottle there is actually 10-12ml left in it after sampling and what not. My desired nic level is either 18 or 24. I have a jug of 100mg nic so I'm wondering how much I should add. This sounds like a word problem from middle school haha.

I'm not looking for how much to add, just a formula for how to figure it out. I'm sure there will be other circumstances where people will want to change nic levels but not have the exact ml/mg juice. Thanks in advance for your help!!!

LucentShadow

ECF Veteran
Dec 28, 2011
Michigan, USA
Hi. There are a couple of ways to do this outlined in the thread linked to below:

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...reasing-nicotine-store-juice.html#post7339558

I'm still not sure if any of the e-juice calcs will do these problems, but I'd guess that some might.

An easy way to think of it is to figure the total milligrams of nicotine and the total milliliters of liquid, then figure the result. Plug in a few numbers, and you can narrow it down.

12ml of 12mg/ml = 144mg of nic in 12ml
+
0.88ml of 100mg/ml = 88mg of nic in 0.88ml
=
12.88ml of 18.01mg/ml = 232mg of nic in 12.88ml (232/12.88=18.01)

Doc Diego

Jul 3, 2013
Jackson, MI, USA
Solving Lucent's link:

(Sf-Ss)*Vs / (Sa-Sf) = Va

Sf is final strength, Ss is Starting Strength, Vs is starting volume, Sa is strength of Additive, and Va is Volume of additive required.

12 of 12, and adding 100mg per ml to get 24mg/ml looks like:

(24-12)*12 / (100 - 24) = 144 / 76 = 1.895 ml

Which matches the chart I crunched quickly: Capture.jpg

To start from the beginning:

Ss*Vs + Sa*Va = Sf * (Vs+Va) -- Calculate mgs of Nic in variables
Ss*Vs + Sa*Va = Sf*Vs + Sf*Va -- Multiply out
Sf*Vs+Sf*Va = Ss*Vs + Sa*Va -- flip the sides
Sf*Vs- Ss*Vs +Sf*Va = Sa*Va -- subtract Ss*Vs from both sides
Sf*Vs-Ss*Vs = Sa*Va - Sf*Va -- subtract Sf*Va from both sides
Vs*(Sf-Ss) = Va*(Sa-Sf) -- factor volume out on both sides
Vs*(Sf-Ss) / (Sa-Sf) = Va -- divide both sides by Sa-Sf, and we have the equation to solve the dilution problem.

Last edited:

Onceupon

Mar 16, 2010
Bolton, England
n = (n1m1 + n2m2) / (m1 + m2)

Where n is final nicotine strength in mg/ml, n1 is strength of first sample, n2 strength of second sample, m1 is quantity of first sample in ml and m2 quantity of second sample.

Rearranging to find an unknown quantity of one sample, we get:

m2 = (m1(n - n1)) / (n2 - n)

To simply calculate how much nicotine base to use in a mix:

m1 = nm / n1

Where m is the final quantity.

It is also possible to calculate how much nicotine base and flavouring concentrate to add to an existing mixture in order to reach a desired nicotine concentration, without changing the flavour at all.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread