Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place
the difference bewteen Acetoin and Diacetyl is the difference between OH and H.... and it don't take much to make an H into an OH. In fact, that will always happen.

It would be interesting to see how he would respond to this if you'd be so inclined to post in that thread (or I can ask him directly). His study on diacetyl and similar compounds should be published soon.

Last edited:

DeadbeatJeff

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2014
Rochester, NY
store.coilsociety.com
It would be interesting to see how he would respond to this if you'd be so inclined to post in that thread (or I can ask him directly). His study on diacetyl and similar compounds should be published soon.

oxidation is impossible to prevent, unless you're manufacturing in a vacuum, so Acetoin will always have some Diacetyl in it.

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place
oxidation is impossible to prevent, unless you're manufacturing in a vacuum, so Acetoin will always have some Diacetyl in it.

Maybe I misunderstood what Dr.F said in his post when he said "[a]cetoin would be fine, as long as it is not contaminated with diacetyl!" Maybe his use of the word "would" was meant more as a hypothetical. I had always considered acetoin to be a risk (if one was to consider those diacetyl and diacetyl-like compounds to be a risk) so in and of itself I guess it isn't a problem, but in practice it probably is. My apologies for the oversight.

DeadbeatJeff

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2014
Rochester, NY
store.coilsociety.com
Maybe I misunderstood what Dr.F said in his post when he said "[a]cetoin would be fine, as long as it is not contaminated with diacetyl!" Maybe his use of the word "would" was meant more as a hypothetical. I had always considered acetoin to be a risk (if one was to consider those diacetyl and diacetyl-like compounds to be a risk) so in and of itself I guess it isn't a problem, but in practice it probably is. My apologies for the oversight.

well, it hasn't been studied as extensively, but just google the molecules - they are identical except that one group.

regardless it's my understanding that there will always be traces of diacetyl

Exchaner

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2013
California
I am told each flavor we vape, like strawberry for example, contains an average of three hundred different chemicals. How do we know what these chemicals morph into once heated several degrees. I seriously doubt if even a chemists would know. The field is new, and not enough research has been done to identify all but a few harmful chemicals mentioned on this thread.

Last edited:

Maurice Pudlo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 27, 2013
United States
I am told each flavor we vape, like strawberry for example, contains an average of three hundred different chemicals. How do we know what these chemicals morph into once heated several degrees. I seriously doubt if even a chemists would know. The field is new, and not enough research has been done to identify all but a few harmful chemicals mentioned on this thread.

Do you like to bake? Or maybe grill? Do you sometimes fry your food?

To you enjoy the aroma that these activities create? Do you enjoy walking into a perfume shop, or a candle shop just to smell the wares?

Every modern person will tend to inhale many millions of particulates, compounds, chemicals be them natural or man made on a daily basis. Add to that the pathogens yeasts and minerals of questionable health benefits and the soup is likely very unsafe by any standard.

Absolute air quality safety does not exist, maybe if you live in a Class 1 (ISO Class 1, metric class M1) clean room.

So take it for what it is worth, you breathe in your clean room you take nearly no risk, you breathe around a sick person you take risk maybe you end up with tuberculosis, vaping consumes a range between those two extremes well below smoking.

Maurice

Maurice Pudlo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 27, 2013
United States
Maurice, I hope you are not saying we should ignore the hazards of vaping just because we ignore other hazards in our daily lives.

I am avoiding the hazards of smoking by deciding to vape, an activity that is sufficiently shown to be safer than the former.

If my life were aimed at removing all potential harmful activity, I would not do very much would I?

I like many others enjoy life and the risks I take are measured against the benefit taking those risks. I drive, no less than 100 miles per day, an activity far more likely to cause me harm than any other, yet the benefit far out classes the risk, thus driving is an acceptable risk in my book.

I have been a soldier, a police officer, a corrections officer, a security officer, raced cars, raced BMX, and keep or have kept animals that have teeth and a propensity to use them, all things that I enjoy or have enjoyed; I like my steak medium rare, my sushi raw, and I have no issue super gluing a deep cut closed without going to the hospital to get a tetanus shot. I cook on a gas stove using ingredients I grew myself that are exposed to who knows what in my urban garden.

Life is full of risks, vaping is a risk reducer at it's very worst, at best it has improved my quality of life in what is a very clear and pronounced way. Oh, I DIY and vape sub-ohm too.

Respect hazards, don't ignore them.

Maurice

Exchaner

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2013
California
What I mean by agenda is this: Many of us enjoy our vape so much, we tend to down-play its consequences. I personally pacify myself based on the fact that vaping is safe compared to smoking. That may be true for now, but who knows what the new information will reveal as it starts to come in. Here is an example: I have had sever joint pain for nearly 3 years and found by accident that dehydration was the curl-pit. Cut down my pg and Voilà, the pain is almost gone, but still there. None of the three doctors I saw could diagnose the cause. Found the answer right here on the ECF from another thread.

PS. We probably are hijacking this thread.

Last edited:

Kemosabe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2011
Roe Dylin
What I mean by agenda is this: Many of us enjoy our vape so much, we tend to down-play its consequences. I personally pacify myself based on the fact that vaping is safe compared to smoking. That may be true for now, but who knows if that would hold true when new information comes in. Here is an example: I have had sever joint pain for nearly 3 years and found by accident that dehydration was the curl-pit. Cut down my pg and walah, the pain is gone. None of the three doctors I saw could diagnose the cause. Found the answer right here on the ECF from another thread.

Voilà ;)
:vapor:

Maurice Pudlo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 27, 2013
United States
What I mean by agenda is this: Many of us enjoy our vape so much, we tend to down-play its consequences. I personally pacify myself based on the fact that vaping is safe compared to smoking. That may be true for now, but who knows what the new information will reveal as it starts to come in. Here is an example: I have had sever joint pain for nearly 3 years and found by accident that dehydration was the curl-pit. Cut down my pg and Voilà, the pain is almost gone, but still there. None of the three doctors I saw could diagnose the cause. Found the answer right here on the ECF from another thread.

severe : (of something bad or undesirable) very great; intense.

sever : divide by cutting or slicing, especially suddenly and forcibly.

curl-pit : a hole in which you lift weights.

culprit : a person who is responsible for a crime or other misdeed.

All that aside; PG may or may not have been an issue for your juices had you simply drank more water, running causes dehydration as well but few people decide to cease running to solve this issue, they drink water.

Things that should never be vaped are anything in excess, as is said so very often, harm comes from the dose not the substance.

When we vape we take in air laced with flavorings and vaporized carrier along with nicotine for some, air as pure as the driven snow would be a better option, and the best option would be sanitized filtered air. The very act of introducing something else into our body intentionally by way of inhaling is a choice we make. Boxers choose to box because they enjoy boxing, not because they don't know there is an element of risk, but because the sport is something they enjoy.

Take for example nearly any medication produced today, they all come with risks, some extreme some mild. They could save you while putting you at what amounts to a calculated risk. I could get better, I could lose control of my bowels, poopy pants is better than dead.

I don't discount the fact that vapor is not the same as purified hyper filtered air, I don't want that, if I did I'd be vaping through a straw, when it's cold outside so I can see the clouds. LOL

I feel far better than I ever had when I smoked, far better than I could have imagined. I vape often, at least as often as I smoked if not more. In my opinion, and it is opinion, I would have died had I continued smoking, and the cause would have been directly attributed to smoking.

I agree that fish should never be vaped, it's much better baked or raw. Kinda gross when fermented though...

Maurice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread