Intellicig will reveal results from major research project tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Old Chemist

ECF Veteran
Dec 23, 2009
Poland
starychemik.wordpress.com
The best explanation that I can give for the graph of plasma nicotine concentration is that it follows the trend of a cigarette. A single dose unit is administered, this dose reaches Cmax then is metabolised rapidly initially (half life of nicotine = apx 120min), followed by a slower rate of metabolism as the concentration decreases. It is what we would have expected to see and is standard in trials of nicotine levels in smokers. Similar results were observed in our smoking groups.
Dear David,
thanks for sharing this report! Now this is a real breakthrough, from the scientifical point of view.
I will study the report thoroughly later and probably send you an e-mail with some questions concerning the details. Hope you don't mind.
Right now I am just wondering about the shape of the curve in Fig. 1.
Did you analyse statistically this curve? After the Cmax we should expect the exponential decay with the t1/2 od approx. 120 min - the first part of the curve seems to fit (up to 15 min.), but then the decay seems to be a bit slower than expected. Anyway - it would be nice to see the full results of the measurements.

Comparison of this with an NRT (patches, gum etc) would show that the NRT reaches Cmax much slower and declines slower. This is partially due to the nicotine being metabolised prior to Cmax being reached and so the rate of decrease is less than that of a faster administered nicotine dose.
This, in fact, was expected - but now we have THE PROOF!

Once again - thanks for sharing the results with e-cig community.

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
David: I never saw an answer to my questions. Perhaps I need to frame them better. Your company is aware, is it not, that NRT does not really stand for Nicotine Replacement Therapy? As far as the medical community and the FDA is concerned, nicotine is an addictive drug and the goal is to get people off it. The FDA-approved drugs are used for Nicotine Reduction Therapy.

Does Intellicig plan to have this approved as medical treatment and to provide customers with a program for weaning off nicotine altogether? Without nicotine abstinence as the treatment goal, I doubt the FDA would approve your product as an NRT.

What about the much larger market that exists for sustained nicotine maintenance as an alternative to killing ourselves by inhaling smoke?

I say this is a larger market because the weaning off nicotine apparently only works for 5 to 10% of smokers. Once the medication is discontinued, most go back to smoking. In contrast, as much as 80% of those who switch to vaporized nicotine are able to sustain smoking abstinence indefinitely.

Rusty

ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2009
Yorkshire, England
camvip.webs.com
David: I never saw an answer to my questions. Perhaps I need to frame them better. Your company is aware, is it not, that NRT does not really stand for Nicotine Replacement Therapy? As far as the medical community and the FDA is concerned, nicotine is an addictive drug and the goal is to get people off it. The FDA-approved drugs are used for Nicotine Reduction Therapy.

Does Intellicig plan to have this approved as medical treatment and to provide customers with a program for weaning off nicotine altogether? Without nicotine abstinence as the treatment goal, I doubt the FDA would approve your product as an NRT.

What about the much larger market that exists for sustained nicotine maintenance as an alternative to killing ourselves by inhaling smoke?

I say this is a larger market because the weaning off nicotine apparently only works for 5 to 10% of smokers. Once the medication is discontinued, most go back to smoking. In contrast, as much as 80% of those who switch to vaporized nicotine are able to sustain smoking abstinence indefinitely.

Very good points Vocalek.

David, does the MHRA view NRT as Nicotine Reduction Therapy also?

StDoodle

Jul 10, 2010
Kalamazoo, MI USA
I think I see. That kind of takes it out of context, which was one that I felt was fairly appropriate & similar to that of this thread, being that when you're going to make decisions (such as a govt. deciding whether to ban / restrict e-cigs) you should base them on facts, not pre-held opinions, beliefs, "what feels right," etc. Yes, there are parts of life where other things are factors, one must always leave Time Enough for Love*, etc... but large decisions shouldn't be made without facts.

* Another Heinlein book... in fact, that might be where the quote is from...

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
Oh and by the way... I couldn't see any actual results... Everything was blocked out by a black box. Anyone else get this problem? How did you understand the actual study with that black box blocking all of the results?

You obviously have not been trained in the analysis of scientific data. Myself, after learning everything I know from what I learned last July 22nd from the FDA and the "health" associations press conference, the data became very clear. I'll give you my "expert" synopsis. Of course this is from the E Cig communities perspective.

The lab found that the E-cig closely mirrored the cigarette in nicotine uptake. In fact, it did so well that it improved on nicotine delivery. When tested for safety, only Johnson's baby oil was found safer than E-cigs, and a number of the scientists couldn't really find a statistically significant safety advantage for the baby oil.

There were some additional chemicals found in the liquid that were identified to cure every illness known to man and a few we've been working on to create. It also was discovered accidentally when a bottle of e-liquid was inadvertently dropped while one of the scientists was checking his oil, that the liquid dried up and cleaned oil dripped on the pavement. A spokesperson for Johnson's Creek mentioned that BP had just put in an order for 15 billion gallons of their original formula to be shipped to the gulf within the next ten day.

See it's not really that difficult to analyze the data with the right tools, or at least the right methodology.

Incidentally, when the FDA and several health organizations are contacted with these results, we'll be told that they still considered the E-cig a drug and drug delivery device, even more so since it had been marketed to affect the physiology of the mammals and fish in the Gulf. They demand them immediately removed from the market until they were satisfied that someone in the Pharma field could come up with a "me too" product and demonstrated they could finance the journey through FDA land. :laugh:

Last edited:
Apologies for my delay in response to your questions.

At present, if the Intellicig NDD was to claim to "cure nicotine addiction" it would be classified as a medicine and would be under regulation of the MHRA. The Intellicig NDD is not intended to cure nicotine addiction.

Weaning down from a higher level of nicotine to a lower level of nicotine using an e-cig may be achieved by two methods 1) decrease the concentration of nicotine used in the vaporiser 2) decrease the number of inhalations from the device. One currently marketed NRT recommends the latter as only one strength of the nicotine is available for the device.

I cannot say for certain what the MHRA will or will not licence, however it has become apparent in recent reports from the MHRA that an application for a product as a "harm reduction" therapy may well be granted MA.

In fact to the best of my knowledge at least one product has been granted MA on the basis of both harm reduction therapy and also as a nicotine step down product.

As the report released by Intellicig last week was concerning the Cmax of Intellicig NDD relative to that of a tobacco containing cigarette many of your questions cannot be answered from it. Further studies will be necessary to determine the efficacy of the product as both an NRT and harm reduction therapy.

I appreciate that every smoker is different and that there are many beliefs regarding nicotine addiction. Applications to the MHRA may only be based on established scientific evidence. There is scientific evidence to suggest that a treatment that shows similarities to cigarette smoking would be more productive as an NRT than those currently available on the market.

Certainly there are learnt traits associated with smoking due to synaptic plasticity however reduction of nicotine at the correct rate is thought to give adequate time for receptor desensitisation and so if nicotine is slowly reduced the body should, in theory, receive the same feeling of relief and positive reinforcement throughout therapy on a nicotine reduction basis. To put simply, the body should adapt quickly to a reduction in nicotine so much that the body cannot tell that the nicotine dose is slowly being decreased. This therapy is only successful if the nicotine reduction occurs at a slow enough rate so that the mind does not crave nicotine.

Again, due to learnt traits from synaptic plasticity once a abstaining smoker smokes a cigarette again, the behaviour and feelings return and it is likely that the treatment would need to start again. This is similar to the thinking on alcohol addiction, in that it only takes one drink to destroy years of therapy.

Indeed you theory of two types of smoker does seem to hold fast in scientific literature. Published papers have distinguished between a smoker who smokes for positive reinforcement (after a meal etc.) and a smoker who smokes to alleviate nicotine withdrawal symptoms. The latter being more highly addicted to nicotine. It is thought that the smoker who smokes for positive reinforcement may easily abstain from smoking without any difficulty.

Finally to the best of my knowledge NRT does refer to Nicotine Replacement Therapy, certainly with the MHRA, however I am not overly familiar with the FDA.

I hope that I have answered your questions, should you wish for more information please do not hesitate to contact me at davidl@intellicig.com

Kind Regards

David Lawson

One thing that the currently approved NRTs have in common (at least in the U.S.) is that they come with directions on how to wean down and off nicotine. Was that the plan for Intellicig, too?

If the company goal is NOT to cure the "nicotine addiction" then will you be able to get product approval from your government as a medication?

If the end goal is to cure "nicotine addiction", the question would be whether there is any kind of advantage to starting with a higher nicotine replacement level that more closely replicates nicotine levels from smoking.

It is my personal belief that there are people medically dependent on nicotine. For those folks, it doesn't matter how closely you replicate initial dosages and how slowly you reduce dosages. The cognitive and emotional symptoms increase at a rate that corresponds to the reduction in nicotine dosage--getting worse over time as the dosage is reduced. Once the nicotine is all gone, so is their capacity to remember things and to pay attention.

They begin smoking again in self-defense, and feel normal again within a few hours. Each time I resumed smoking after a period of nicotine abstinence, I felt an intense feeling of relief. Like taking a big drink of water when your throat is parched.

People who don't need nicotine for normal brain function seem to be able to throw away their pack of cigarettes and get on with their lives, suffering little more than some cravings.

I have another theory that would need to be tested. That is that those nicotine users who report getting a "kick" from using it are those who actually can take it or leave it without becoming dysfunctional. Those who require nicotine don't experience the "nicotine high" talked about by others.

It might be parallel to the pain medication oxycontin. Some people "abuse" it to get a feeling of intense euphoria. All oxycontin does for people who are in excruciating pain is to provide relief from the pain. There is no euphoria.

It would seem to me that the advantage of more closely replicating the Cmax from smoking is if the product is intended to be used as a permanent replacement for smoking. That close replication would make the product more acceptable as an alternative.

ckc

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 3, 2009
UK
At present, if the Intellicig NDD was to claim to "cure nicotine addiction" it would be classified as a medicine and would be under regulation of the MHRA. The Intellicig NDD is not intended to cure nicotine addiction.

The annual UK National Smoking Cessation Conference took place recently at the SAS Radisson Hotel in central Glasgow. The event attracts major NRT Companies showcasing their new products together with a wide range of international Health Professionals, Cessation Practitioners and Academics who attend structured delegate lectures given by acknowledged global experts.

Surely Intellicig is a NRT if it attends conferences about Smoking Cessation??

What happens when Intelli gains the MA does that then make it a NRT producer with Harm Reduction tags? Surely that means Intelli will have to pull out of the USA because with a MA from the MHRA they will then have no choice except go through testing with the FDA??

The questions been asked,doesnt mean an answer will appear :laugh:

Xanax

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2010
East Coast
You obviously have not been trained in the analysis of scientific data. Myself, after learning everything I know from what I learned last July 22nd from the FDA and the "health" associations press conference, the data became very clear. I'll give you my "expert" synopsis. Of course this is from the E Cig communities perspective.

The lab found that the E-cig closely mirrored the cigarette in nicotine uptake. In fact, it did so well that it improved on nicotine delivery. When tested for safety, only Johnson's baby oil was found safer than E-cigs, and a number of the scientists couldn't really find a statistically significant safety advantage for the baby oil.

There were some additional chemicals found in the liquid that were identified to cure every illness known to man and a few we've been working on to create. It also was discovered accidentally when a bottle of E-liquid was inadvertently dropped while one of the scientists was checking his oil, that the liquid dried up and cleaned oil dripped on the pavement. A spokesperson for Johnson's Creek mentioned that BP had just put in an order for 15 billion gallons of their original formula to be shipped to the gulf within the next ten day.

See it's not really that difficult to analyze the data with the right tools, or at least the right methodology.

Incidentally, when the FDA and several health organizations are contacted with these results, we'll be told that they still considered the E-cig a drug and drug delivery device, even more so since it had been marketed to affect the physiology of the mammals and fish in the Gulf. They demand them immediately removed from the market until they were satisfied that someone in the Pharma field could come up with a "me too" product and demonstrated they could finance the journey through FDA land. :laugh:

Oh god I'm so lost... I can't tell if you're being serious or not :oops:

Surely Intellicig is a NRT if it attends conferences about Smoking Cessation??

What happens when Intelli gains the MA does that then make it a NRT producer with Harm Reduction tags? Surely that means Intelli will have to pull out of the USA because with a MA from the MHRA they will then have no choice except go through testing with the FDA??

The questions been asked,doesnt mean an answer will appear :laugh:

Apologies for the delay in reply.

Intellicig attended the smoking cessation conference with a device that is not an NRT. As the MHRA are looking toward a possible blanket licence for such devices, Intellicig thought it beneficial to lease with the NRT industry.

Should Intellicig gain MA it would be an NRT. The basis of the application would stipulate whether the Intellicig could be sold as a harm reduction product or a smoking substitution or smoking cessation.

Should MA be granted in the UK, then this will be valid for sales in the UK alone. If the FDA decide to place a blanket licensing on the US then the only way to sell in the US would be to gain MA from the FDA.

It is only when claims of NRT are made at present that a device must have MA. At present if no NRT claims are made, then MA is not necessary.

I hope this answers your questions for you.

David Lawson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread