Intro...5 months off cigs, loving vaping, need advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

MadClowdz

Sep 8, 2018
What's up vapers! Since this is my first post in my first vape forum, I'll give you some background.
I used to smoke Newports. I had smoked cigarettes for about 12 years, then quit in 2005, then picked it back up again back in July 2017. Then in January a close friend of mine moved in with me and he's been vaping for about 5 years and he's the first guy I know personally who vapes.
Fast forward to around February of this year, and I finally decided to try and transition over to vaping because I really wanted to get off the cigarettes again, this time for good.
At first, like a lot of people, I wasn't really feeling it. I knew absolutely nothing about vaping except that my friend hit that thing all the time and I used to make fun of him. But he really seemed into it and would often try and get me to switch.
So I did a little research and decided that it was infinitely healthier than smoking, and even read some studies done by doctors who could find no ill health effects on the people they studied who vaped. I also watched that one YouTube video where a huge wad of white cotton was put into a vacuum sealed tank and they ran cigarette smoke through one cotton wad and then vape juice through another. After the cigarettes, the cotton was dark brown and full of gross crap, but after the vape, it was still white and just wet from the vapor. I then looked up the history of popcorn lung and realized that it had nothing to do with vaping, and ironically cigarettes contained over 100 times more of the chemical that caused it, diacetyl. Not to mention the 1000's of other chemicals in smokes, like arsenic, while vape juice had like 4 ingredients, and the nicotine was a pure extract.
My research also included first-hand observations. I could vape all day long in my car, windows up, and never see any residue on my windows, or have a really bad stale smell in my car.
I decided finally to at least give it a try. My friend had a spare mod and tank and gave it to me.
At first, it was like my first hit off a cigarette...burning throat, coughing, etc. I remembered that was how it usually is when inhaling anything for the first time, so I didn't give up just yet.
One issue I had was the flavor. Newport smokers are picky. I loved Newports and they have a unique flavor. But I really wanted to get off cigs, as they are so bad for my body. At the local vape shop, they had all sorts of "fruity" juice that they recommended. But I guess you can call me a purist of sorts...I wanted something that gave me a similar experience to Newports and I wasn't interesting in my vape tasting super-sweet like desserts. The closest thing they had to that was a custom menthol blend but it was way too minty and sweet for my taste.
One thing I realized and that I think is key for a lot of people considering switching is that I am simply not going to find any vape juice that tastes exactly like cigarettes. It's just an entirely different chemical process for one and the cigs contain many addictive poisons that vape juice does not, thankfully. With that in mind, I continued on my journey...
I began to search online for recommendations for the best e-juice for people coming off of Newports. Several forums had the same recommendation for an e-juice called Nport by Dekang. So I ordered some and began to use it. While again, it doesn't taste exactly like a Newport, it is the best I have found so far, for me and has a really nice subtle menthol flavoring.
Anyway, back to vaping...Initially I would take a hit now and then, but I was still smoking cigarettes. I'd say it took me about 2 months to fully transition. As I got used to it, the harshness, dry throat, and coughing went away. Finally, I decided to try and just vape, and every time I had the urge to light up a cigarette, I vaped instead.
As I got used to vaping, flavor became more important. I really liked the Nport blend, but felt that I needed to add a bit of sweetness to it, but not too much. I eventually settled on a very nice peach tea juice from my local vape shop and I use a 50/50 blend now with the Nport. The flavor is perfect for me: Not too sweet, not too minty, just sublime. I found that a nicotine level of .6 is the sweet spot for me.
Finally I bought my very first mod: An Innokin Kroma-A. I paired it with the Cleito Exo tank and Cleito .4ohm coil. I'm still using the tank and coil to this day. The open air flow of the tank is more than enough for me to blow mad clouds using the direct-to-lung method. I love the thick white vapor. I also get plenty of flavor from it as well.
I know that most vapers say mouth-to-lung is the best way for beginners coming off of cigarettes. But I went straight to direct-to-lung. Once I got used to the vape itself, it just seemed more natural. MTL on a cigarette is necessary because if you try and just inhale a puff it burns. Not so with vaping.
Now I love vaping. The best way to describe it in relation to cigarettes is...purity. I mean, that first vape hit in the morning when I wake up is awesome. The nicotine buzz from it is so much more...I don't know how to put it...cleaner, then a cigarette. I love it. I look forward to taking a sip of my morning coffee and taking that first big old hit of some good vape now!
A few days ago, I accidentally dropped my mod into the running shower and it got sprayed with water. It started acting crazy and the buttons were non-responsive. I panicked as I realized I had no backup mod for this kind of situation. So i put the mod in a bowl of rice and I headed to the vape shop. I didn't have a lot of money to spend so I really couldn't buy the one I had been eyeballing for a while, the Aegis Legend. But the vape shop guy was very helpful and I snagged the Eleaf Tessera. I've had it for 3 days now and I like it. Goes up to 125 watts, has really good battery life and a nice bright clear display and pairs up nicely with the Cleito tank and coil. Oh yeah, my Kroma-A was working again after a day in the rice so now I have a backup.
However, I'm looking to upgrade my tank and coil and I'm getting confused. It seems all the new tanks coming out are all rated as MTL...but isn't the Cleito Exo I currently use also considered MTL? If so, then does it really matter? The Exo works perfectly fine to me as a DTL.
I wanted to try the new Innokin Zenith kit. But it clearly says MTL. However it has adjustable air flow so wouldn't it work for someone like me, who loves mad clouds as well as flavor?
Does anyone have recommendations on a good tank upgrade for someone in my position? Is this the point where I start looking into custom tanks? There is so much I still don't know about vaping!
Anyway, thank you to the vaping world for helping me get off the cigarettes
Thanks for listening guys!

Last edited by a moderator:

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
These days if you want a drop in coil great for flavor and cloud I'd give serious consideration to a mesh coil tank. Mesh coils are becoming much more popular as they work well and have a long lifespan which is always an advantage when buying coils.

However, they guzzle juice and suck down power so small will not work well with them. Something like the Freemax mesh pro or Horizon Falcon are worth a look. Good feedback on the Vaporesso NRG mesh coils too. But a dual battery mod, and accepting a larger glass for the tank are needed unless you want to swap around batteries and refill the tank during the day.

MadClowdz

Sep 8, 2018
I suggest you get a Uwell crown 3 tank along with a bigger mod. I like your post as I can clearly see you're soon to become a buying-junkie just like many of us lol. Welcome and congrats for quitting! :)

That's so funny because yesterday I went and snagged a Crown III! So far I like it, the build quality of the stainless steel version is impressive and I like the increased capacity. Airflow is on point I got it halfway closed and at 80 watts with the .5 ohm coil that came already installed and it seems like the sweet spot so far. The tank can hold up to 5 ml of juice. The craftsmanship of this tank is excellent and seems to get better the more I stare at it, lol.

Don't get me wrong, the Cleito Exo tank is good too, but...I dunno...I just got tired of looking at it and not having any airflow control and only having 3.5ml capacity. I'm gonna keep it as a backup with my Kroma-A.

The Crown seems to pair up very nicely with my Eleaf Tessera (which actually goes up to 150 watts, not 125, I tried to edit my OP but it won't let me, for some reason). The tank sits nice and flush on the mod and the whole thing just looks really sharp.

And, oh yeah, she hits like a champ, MAD CLOWDZ ALL DAY!!

Thanks for the feedback guys!

Last edited:

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Honestly if you want small, stealthy and clouds I'd have to say your best bet to "try and get all three" (you aren't going to) maybe a DL pod mod although they all have their issues and etc.

If you are willing to put up with a 0.5-ish coil and want something TINY well, you could look into something like the Target Nano from Vapresso (and they have various sized mods, this mod is internal and I get decent battery runtime from mine, keeping in mind that well, I vape lower wattage than you I am almost certain).

There just aren't a ton of good options for what you are looking for. I might actually consider a single 27-- battery type series if you can get a well rated battery that combination does seem to work well for some DL folks. If you want a dual battery option that is almost as small and light in profile as a single battery option I might take a look at the Eleaf Invoke, it's a pretty basic well made mod, if you want TC you can upgrade to arctic fox, and despite it being light, it's sturdy and I've dropped mine on several occasions. It's just a nice, solid kind of all around basic mod but it gets good battery life (not too many bells and whistles) but its biggest advantage is the size, honestly, it's almost smaller and lighter than some of my single battery mods.

Best of luck congrats on quitting and welcome!

Anna

MadClowdz

Sep 8, 2018
Thanks Anna! So far I'm really liking my Eleaf Tessera...it's not dual battery, but it fits comfortably in my pocket, has a pretty decent 3400 mAh battery, and the mod can fire up to 150 watts...more than enough power and it gets me through at least one day set at 80w for my new Crown III tank and .25ohm coil.
IMG_20180909_172651.jpg
IMG_20180909_173445.jpg

somdcomputerguy

vaper dedicato
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
    Welcome to ECF. That you did some research and made your own decisions makes me very happy. 'grats on the switch! I can't really recommend any mods or tanks for you since our vaping styles are way different, real close to opposite I'd say. I agree with the RTA and DIY comments that @capthook made though.

MadClowdz

Sep 8, 2018
    Welcome to ECF. That you did some research and made your own decisions makes me very happy. 'grats on the switch! I can't really recommend any mods or tanks for you since our vaping styles are way different, real close to opposite I'd say. I agree with the RTA and DIY comments that @capthook made though.
    So what is your style?

Reactions: stols001

ExtremeDooty

ECF Veteran
    Aug 5, 2017
    Michigan
    You should take a look at the Vaporesso Armour Pro with a Cascade Baby tank. It's fairly slim and fits into a pocket. You get good battery life with a 21700 battery. The Cascade tank uses all the GT coils including mesh and Ccell and are good for both flavor and cloud production. I believe they also have an 8ml replacement glass available. I use Ccells exclusively myself so I can run in TC. They seem to last a long time as well.

Last edited:

Coyote628

Ultra Member
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Contest Winner!
    Sep 16, 2017
    Looks like you have a decent setup to help you stay off cigs. The main thing in the beginning is to just vape when you want to smoke, and you seem to getting to that point so no worries. I dont know where you live, but if you get cold weather in the winter, you will see a residue on your car windows inside. VG does stick to glass. Its just not the same nasty mess as cigarette tar but you will need to clean it off occasionally.

MadClowdz

Sep 8, 2018
    Looks like you have a decent setup to help you stay off cigs. The main thing in the beginning is to just vape when you want to smoke, and you seem to getting to that point so no worries. I dont know where you live, but if you get cold weather in the winter, you will see a residue on your car windows inside. VG does stick to glass. Its just not the same nasty mess as cigarette tar but you will need to clean it off occasionally.
    I think I'm beyond that point, I vape more than I used to smoke. Yeah, I'm in south Florida, so cold weather is pretty rare, lol.

somdcomputerguy

vaper dedicato
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!

somdcomputerguy

vaper dedicato
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
    Yeah, I'm in south Florida, so cold weather is pretty rare, lol.
    A while ago my dad was in FL to work on a customers motor yacht. The temp. was in the low 60's, and he was wearing shorts and a t-shirt. Other Floridians were staring in disbelief.. He lives in Southern Maryland and I lived there too before moving to WV.

Last edited:

MadClowdz

Sep 8, 2018
    You should take a look at the Vaporesso Armour Pro with a Cascade Baby tank. It's fairly slim and fits into a pocket. You get good battery life with a 21700 battery. The Cascade tank uses all the GT coils including mesh and Ccell and are good for both flavor and cloud production. I believe they also have an 8ml replacement glass available. I use Ccells exclusively myself so I can run in TC. They seem to last a long time as well.
    Interesting...ceramic coils...this Crown III tank is the first non-Kanthal coils I've used. I wish they had coils that will fit the Crown. Stainless steel is definitely a different vaping experience. I wish those coils would fit my Crown so I could test them out.
    How you do you like the ceramic compared to others? Is there a concern with stainless steel about toxins being released into the vape?

Reactions: stols001
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread