Status
Not open for further replies.

Ctor

static void Main()
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 22, 2012
New Jersey
Received my latest vapemail today (only 2 days to get here, excellent). My VV Gripper and two 18650 2200mAh batts. Charged the batts. Filled a new Mini Nova w/2.8 head with some GV Cinna Roll. Put it on the Gripper. Set it to 4.2v and holy cow, slap me upside the head and call me crazy. Dang this Gripper hits so damn well. Huge plumes of vapor, excellent taste and great TH !!!!!! Puts my Provari to shame (didn't think I would ever say that) !!!!! Loving this PWM style mod. Feels good in the hand. Very light weight. Nice rubbery feel. Looks gret with the mini attached. HIGHLY recommend this apv. My Provari is going get very lonely.

I thought the Provari uses PWM too. What version do you have?

WallyO

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2012
Cicero,IL
I thought the Provari uses PWM too. What version do you have?

My Provari does not. Don't know what version it is. Got it in January I believe. At least I am assuming it does not because the screw on volt meter reads fine unlike any PWM. FWIW I am enjoying the Gripper more than the Provari now. Also prefer the Rocket over the Provari too. Gota be the PWM they both use.

BOREMAN

ECF Veteran
Aug 1, 2009
RVing the USA
I have the version 1. Purchased July 2011. You can however send the V1 back to them and they will upgrade to V2 for a small fee. I remember reading sometime back that the cost is around the $25 area.
I am in agreement with Wally, I am truly enjoying the Gripper better than the Provari, and attributing that to the PWM. Simply outstanding vape, and you can't beat the price. Very satisfying.

BOREMAN

ECF Veteran
Aug 1, 2009
RVing the USA
looks too tempting to hold out on.. I want one but I need to have money aside to buy all the ravens up when they drop lol from what I hear this pwm won't blow your coils like the others.. switches to steady voltage when it is too high for the coil

You are correct. When the Ravens drop, just drop a Gripper in your cart with the little birdies, lol !!!

Debadoo

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2012
Texas, near Fort Hood
looks too tempting to hold out on.. I want one but I need to have money aside to buy all the ravens up when they drop lol from what I hear this pwm won't blow your coils like the others.. switches to steady voltage when it is too high for the coil

I had the exact same debate with myself, but since I had a GC, I figured this might be my only chance to get the gripper. It's still in the mail, but with all the wonderful stuff I'm hearing, I'm sooooooooo glad I pulled the switch and got it. Can't wait to get it. Need to go check tracking again! Hoping for Tuesday.

BOREMAN

ECF Veteran
Aug 1, 2009
RVing the USA
I had the exact same debate with myself, but since I had a GC, I figured this might be my only chance to get the gripper. It's still in the mail, but with all the wonderful stuff I'm hearing, I'm sooooooooo glad I pulled the switch and got it. Can't wait to get it. Need to go check tracking again! Hoping for Tuesday.

Ur gonna LOVE the Gripper Debadoo

Ctor

static void Main()
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 22, 2012
New Jersey

Most of the PWM units that don't show an error and won't fire do this. It's not about the coil per se, when it hits it's max current output, it drops the master voltage level, which is 6 volts normally, so that the current limit isn't broken. I've measured my YJ Lavatube and it does the same. If it didn't it would be sending pulses above the 3 amp current limit.

mogium

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 9, 2011
St pete florida
Most of the PWM units that don't show an error and won't fire do this. It's not about the coil per se, when it hits it's max current output, it drops the master voltage level, which is 6 volts normally, so that the current limit isn't broken. I've measured my YJ Lavatube and it does the same. If it didn't it would be sending pulses above the 3 amp current limit.
amps = voltage divided by resistance resistance = the coil.. I win :p

burns_erin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2010
The ArmPit of Texas
Pbusardo put out a relatively positive review. I disagreed with his wish that it was a kit. I have enough cheap chargers to not want another. But, what I did agree with was the effect of the pwm. I dont think it can be said enough that you shouldn't just set it to the voltage you normally use. They just dont feel the same, nor are they likely to have the same effects on juices and cartos.

Debadoo

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2012
Texas, near Fort Hood
Totally agree Erin! I did just go watch his video. I was getting ready to post that it seems that I am getting amazing battery life on this compared to the LT type device I have using the same battery. I should have had to charged this thing about 24 hrs ago. Right now I'm at 3.6v left on batt power so I need to soon. I think he said it'll flash lo-v at 3.4

I do have to keep turning it down, so a bit of a learning curve. The 1.8 head on my vivi is best right about 3.0 lowest it will go. My 2.8 head (which I did not like at all on the LT type) is great right about 3.7 I have to find my 2.4 head. lol I am just really loving this lil guy. Dynamite comes in small packages!!

burns_erin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2010
The ArmPit of Texas
Totally agree Erin! I did just go watch his video. I was getting ready to post that it seems that I am getting amazing battery life on this compared to the LT type device I have using the same battery. I should have had to charged this thing about 24 hrs ago. Right now I'm at 3.6v left on batt power so I need to soon. I think he said it'll flash lo-v at 3.4

I do have to keep turning it down, so a bit of a learning curve. The 1.8 head on my vivi is best right about 3.0 lowest it will go. My 2.8 head (which I did not like at all on the LT type) is great right about 3.7 I have to find my 2.4 head. lol I am just really loving this lil guy. Dynamite comes in small packages!!

I am a light weight, :lol:, my 2.8 vivi head, which reads 2.7 I am comfortable at 3.0.

Debadoo

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2012
Texas, near Fort Hood
Mine is reading 2.7 too on the 2.8 head. After using it a day and a half, I'm finding that my best starting point is 1 volt higher than whatever the ohm reads. I'm sure it varies with different juices, but that's about where I'm finding my sweet spot. At least with the vivi since that's all I've tried on it so far. lol

mogium

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 9, 2011
St pete florida
There is two types of current , one type is input current , that's the battery's current, it's about 4.5-5Amps, the other type is output current, that's the current with atomizer attached, it's about 3amps
[3:52:07 AM] SMOKTECH- regularly we talking about current , the current is battery's current , but because the battery is inside the tubes, so regularly customers can't test it ,
[3:52:19 AM] SMOKTECH- but we need to understand and explain
[3:54:50 AM] SMOKTECH- i ve tested our zmax under load of 1.5ohm atomizer , below is the data
[3:55:22 AM] SMOKTECH-: when set at 3.5ohm, off load volt is 3.57, under load is 3.49 volt
[3:55:55 AM] SMOKTECH-: when set at 4.0volt, offload volt is 4.1volt , under load is 3.96volt
[3:56:25 AM] SMOKTECH-: when set at 4.5volt, off load volt is 4.61volt, under load is 4.5volt
[3:56:55 AM] SMOKTECH-: when set at 5.0volt, off load volt is 5.15volt, under load is 4.85volt
[3:57:28 AM] SMOKTECH-: when set at 5.5volt, offload volt is 5.65volt, under load is 4.86volt
[3:57:55 AM] SMOKTECH-: when set at 6volt, off load volt is 6.17volt, under load is 4.88volt

Thats a hell of a drop on voltage on the higher end of the spectrum just under 17% loss

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread