Not open for further replies.

Nuchuga

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2013
Orange County, CA
Hey guys,

Im here today to briefly give an extremely important reminder to vape SAFELY. I work in the industry and this topic is not addressed nearly enough. Today I received an email from a person who had purchased an IPV 5 and attached was a extremely inappropriate paragraph and these photos. The person neglected battery safety and chose to use 2, unpaired batteries made for basic flashlight use, not anything close to "vaping ready". In result, the batteries vented and the mod caught fire, burning both his arm and his bed. Yes, I feel bad for this guy but, he chose to be irresponsible and these are the things that happen when choose to vape like so.
When I worked at a B&M, I was beyond cautious when building customers mods and was always insistent that they either have or buy a 25amp or higher battery otherwise I wouldnt give them a build. I urge everyone to stay weary whether in store or at home.
PLEASE PEOPLE, consider your choice of batteries and VAPE SAFE.

Last edited:

Susan~S

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2014
Mpls/St.Paul, MN
I've been seeing more and more people saying that they can use any battery in a regulated mod because the mod will protect it.

Completely untrue (as the user found out).

The mod will protect its circuit board. It has no idea if the battery is being stressed too hard or not. And a battery being stressed too hard will have a shortened life and, if stressed hard enough, can vent or worse.

You must still select a battery that can handle the current the mod draws without overheating.

puffon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Sep 18, 2014
    Florida
    I'm surprised these mods don't have warnings on them. I never seen a mod come with battery warnings.
    Every regulated mod I've bought, has instructions saying to use 20-30 amp 18650 batteries.
    A person just has to read them tho.

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 20, 2012
    Williamsport Md
    I always joke to my friends about if the mod seems off they should throw it like they would a grenade lol. I make sure what they are doing is safe though.

I'm surprised these mods don't have warnings on them. I never seen a mod come with battery warnings.

Many have the Battery recommendation right in the instruction Booklet. Most people breeze right past the info.:blink:

Scy123

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 10, 2014
    Canada
    Every regulated mod I've bought, has instructions saying to use 20-30 amp 18650 batteries.

My Wismec DNA200 only states not to use batteries with torn wrappers only and my IPV3 just states not to use broken batteries, nothing about amps. I just gave them a look over to confirm.

What I really meant was something more visible, like a warning on the back of the box in big bold letters or something. A card in the battery compartment would be ideal.

Nuchuga

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 30, 2013
    Orange County, CA
    I always joke to my friends about if the mod seems off they should throw it like they would a grenade lol. I make sure what they are doing is safe though.

Many have the Battery recommendation right in the instruction Booklet. Most people breeze right past the info.:blink:

To be honest, battery warnings would be a great reminder but if your going to vape, it should be a necessity to have adequate knowledge on safety before purchasing devices. Also, NO shop should allow the sale of a device if its going to be paired with crappy batteries. For the sake of the user and the industry, it just shouldnt happen.

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 20, 2012
    Williamsport Md
    Also, NO shop should allow the sale of a device if its going to be paired with crappy batteries. For the sake of the user and the industry, it just shouldnt happen.

For Shop owners, I agree. Liability is liability. As for actual purchases, I rarely buy the Mod and Batteries from the same supplier.

mudmanc4

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 22, 2009
    In The Plex
    kb.lime-it.us
    'Catches on fire', yup same concept if I eat too many habenero seeds, my .... catches on fire. Sound familiar?

How are we going to educate these people? Though, so many times someone just wants to do it, no matter what 'it' is, never slowing down enough to think about 'if' they should be doing it, or what the repercussions are.

No, on the other side of reality, ignorance can be fixed, but stupid is forever. It's just that simple.

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 20, 2012
    Williamsport Md
    The last time I bought a mod and battery together, the shop sold me an evic and a ultrafire battery. Many moons ago, but it happened.

You were fine with that. Much like a Flashlight, pulling LOW amps. I still have a few of the Higher end Ultrafire batteries laying around. 10a Max continuous.

Nuchuga

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 30, 2013
    Orange County, CA
    You were fine with that. Much like a Flashlight, pulling LOW amps. I still have a few of the Higher end Ultrafire batteries laying around. 10a Max continuous.

Yep, these lower output mods dont require high amp rated batteries. However, in the case of the iPV 5 where it will output 200 watts on a 0.10ohm build, its a must to use 20 amp or higher batteries.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread