IPV3 ... A closer look.

Status
Not open for further replies.

WeirdWillie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 4, 2014
Houston, Texas
Being an electrical engineer I thought I'd take a look inside my 3 day old IPV3 to see if I can figure out infamous non working external charging ports that is plaguing the IPV3's, the only thing I can think of is perhaps it is a firmware issue.
20141012_143832.jpg

While I was in there, I found out why the touch fire button doesn't work... its not firmware, so if you heard rumor it was a firmware issue it's not true.
No amount of firmware can make something work that is not there.
20141012_143652.jpg

Also found something else that was potential issue.
20141012_143750.jpg

Here is everything back together and working, got the Lemo setting on it right now rocking a .05 ohm parallel build with Japanese cotton cooking at 30 watts.
20141012_152250.jpg

Scy123

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 10, 2014
Canada
Thanks for sharing! makes me sad that their are so many issues, kinda regretting my decision to buy. Oh well would of probably bought it anyways knowing all this.

That fake touch button is funny and makes me angry at the same time. I thought it would be enabled in another update. Also didn't know the external charging port was not working, hope it's not a fake feature like the touch button.

This batch is looking more and more like a beta.

WeirdWillie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 4, 2014
Houston, Texas
Thanks for sharing! makes me sad that their are so many issues, kinda regretting my decision to buy. Oh well would of probably bought it anyways knowing all this.

That fake touch button is funny and makes me angry at the same time. I thought it would be enabled in another update. Also didn't know the external charging port was not working, hope it's not a fake feature like the touch button.

This batch is looking more and more like a beta.

Don't get me wrong it's an great regulated box mod, it does what it does and does it well, however when I spend the kind of money one of these cost, I expect all things to be functional, whether I use them or not.

I think pioneer4you and YiHiEcigar were in such a rush to push out a 150W device that neither one fully thought it threw.
I think they were more focused on pushing maximum wattage, for wattage sake (don't know how anyone could vape at 100-150 watts anyway) and pushing a product out the door, and not focusing on putting a fully functional, complete product on the market.

Pioneer4you and YiHiEcigar I'm calling you out, if either of you visit this forum, I'd love to hear for you. and you guys owe it to your customers to explain yourselves.
  • Does it or does it not have on-board charging and why is it not functional?
  • Why not just a simple USB charging
  • Why the touch fire button screen, with no circuitry, what did you do have a bunch of cases laying around that were supposed to be for a different mod, and use them ?
(This would explain the back order that allot of suppliers are seeing)

Fictitious Character

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2014
USA
Thanks for those pics.
I heard that the touch fire sensor was not functioning for sample units, so I am eagerly watching to see if orders that were shipped later have functioning touch sensors. The cord I just assumed was a matter of getting the proper cord.

I also have a serial number issue with at least two confirmed units sharing the same number. I have been speculating that P4U may have been under the gun to fulfill order commitments and sent out a batch of sample units. I touched on these topics in this thread I started yesterday. http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...-place-discuss-concerns-performance-ipv3.html

WeirdWillie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 4, 2014
Houston, Texas
I put it on an oscilloscope to check things out, I stepped threw input voltage for the charging starting at 5vdc to 9vdc in .5volt increments and 500mA to 2.5A and was unable to detect any voltage output from the charging circuitry board, could be inferior Chinese electronics not working (I suspect this is the case), or less likely a firmware issues,
I should have at least been able to detect some output voltage from the charging circuitry, I did not reverse the polarity
1. because I'm unsure if the charging circuitry has reverse polarity protection (no specs to be found)
2. I confirmed that the circuitry is center pin positive (+)

As far as the touch fire goes, I doubt that I would have ever use it but why have the window, if you're not even going to put the circuitry in place, in fact as it is right now, the charging board is where the touch circuit would have been.

But the lack of an operating plug-n-play charging without removing the batteries, and without the need of an external battery charger is unacceptable.
Again no reason that this couldn't have been accomplished via USB port in fact I may eventually mod mine with Evolv’s micro USB charging chip, that way I can charge on the go in my vehicle.

unlvjeffro

Verified Member
Aug 8, 2014
lv
Just cancelled mine, and pre-ordered it for 102.99!!! I had high hopes for the IPV3, and will wait until P4U gets their act together first. Maybe wait for the IPV6S+

I don't need 150watts, the sigelei100w is working awesome, and so far my adjustable pin is completely screwed in and has made contact with my veritas, magma, big dripper, origen, kayfun3.1, mephisto, plume veil and a cheapo "have no clue what it is called" dripper atty. The sig100 has some issues as well, but seems like it was built well, and more importantly, seems finished.

Plus the magnet back cover of the sig100 is awesome, and makes the charger port un-needed in my mind. I have extra batts, and a real charger.

Fictitious Character

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2014
USA
The touch sensor is as useful as a poop flavored popsicle.

I'm guessing they had the boxes prepped for it and then saw how many IPV 1/2 users were not into it so they just said screw it.

The feature works on the latest shipment of IPV2s's so I am not sure what to think of it.

herb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2014
Northern NJ native , Coastal NC now.
Just cancelled mine, and pre-ordered it for 102.99!!! I had high hopes for the IPV3, and will wait until P4U gets their act together first. Maybe wait for the IPV6S+

I don't need 150watts, the sigelei100w is working awesome, and so far my adjustable pin is completely screwed in and has made contact with my veritas, magma, big dripper, origen, kayfun3.1, mephisto, plume veil and a cheapo "have no clue what it is called" dripper atty. The sig100 has some issues as well, but seems like it was built well, and more importantly, seems finished.

Plus the magnet back cover of the sig100 is awesome, and makes the charger port un-needed in my mind. I have extra batts, and a real charger.

I am starting to think P4U will never get their act together , i mean you are supposed to improve on your last released device not get worse. This is very very surprising to me and if the touch sensor is truly not even wired thats outrageous . The touch sensor and that long plastic window on the other side should of been gone completely on this new version.

Live and learn i guess but P4U 's who cares attitude about what their warranty partner is doing was enough for me to right them off , this latest news just makes me feel i did the right thing by avoiding them altogether.

They are clearly just about pumping out mods to keep up with the competition and not about making sure the mods are the best they can be.

WeirdWillie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 4, 2014
Houston, Texas
I am starting to think P4U will never get their act together , i mean you are supposed to improve on your last released device not get worse. This is very very surprising to me and if the touch sensor is truly not even wired thats outrageous . The touch sensor and that long plastic window on the other side should of been gone completely on this new version.

Live and learn i guess but P4U 's who cares attitude about what their warranty partner is doing was enough for me to right them off , this latest news just makes me feel i did the right thing by avoiding them altogether.

They are clearly just about pumping out mods to keep up with the competition and not about making sure the mods are the best they can be.

Agreed.
I got in on the round 1 CO-OP for the new DNA 40 board I'm about to build a box mod the way it's should be, I may even make it parallel 18650, or perhaps a bottom feeder, could anyone sugest a cool box besides the Hammond 1590B ?

herb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2014
Northern NJ native , Coastal NC now.
Agreed.
I got in on the round 1 CO-OP for the new DNA 40 board I'm about to build a box mod the way it's should be, I may even make it parallel 18650, or perhaps a bottom feeder, could anyone sugest a cool box besides the Hammond 1590B ?

A lot of people are going the DIY route , i'm not sure about the enclosures but here's a place you can pick up authentic YiHi chips and other DIY stuff.

YiHi SX350 !!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread