Ironic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jet Knight

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2013
Gotham
Just wanted to share this in light of the negative publicity about exploding vape devices. I was outside this building vaping on my Aegis Legend with a few folks smoking cigarettes. One of the girls stared at me and said, " that's dangerous, heard it explodes and kills people". As soon as she said that, the rest of those smoking cigarettes moved away from me and moved towards her. I looked at her and said, " I guess you haven't heard about the millions that direct and indirect cigarette smoke has killed". I'm glad the rest moved away from me and towards her...was able to breathe better. :vapor:

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
I think deep down inside they know smoking is far more deadly and it's just them justifying smoking...or perhaps they are just plain dumb. About 10 years ago my sister quit smoking from vaping and told me how it was working , which was new to me and got me thinking. Even knowing nothing about it, other then it produced vapor, I knew it had to be better then cigs and never thought otherwise, period.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
My niece told me to be careful about e-cigarettes when I first started vaping (2012). She had read that they can explode. Ironic that a couple of months later the battery in my tube mech mod exploded. As much as that experience scared me, it did not make me stop vaping. I educated myself about battery safety instead. Turns out it was my own user error that the battery exploded.

Last summer I was minding my business vaping outdoors during a sidewalk sale. One of the sales ladies came up to me and told me that vaping was worse than smoking. I asked if she had read that on Face Book, and she admitted she had.

I explained that real scientific studies prove that vaping is better than smoking. Big Tobacco and Big Pharma are losing money to e-cigarettes and making anti-vaping propaganda to protect their business interests. She said she had never thought about it that way.

Last edited:

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
peopke say stuff like that to me, too. I always tell them, none of mine have exploded in the over five years I’ve been vaping, but the news never tells you A) what gear it was B) if the device or battery were faulty or C) how the accident could have been avoided. Why? First because journalists probably don’t know the first thing about vaping. Secondly, they’re after the drama. They need to make it sound as likely and scary and unpreventable as possible.

puffon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Sep 18, 2014
    Florida
    I'd tell them this:
    "Cigarette smoking is responsible for more than 480,000 deaths per year in the United States, including more than 41,000 deaths resulting from secondhand smoke exposure. This is about one in five deaths annually, or 1,300 deaths every day. On average, smokers die 10 years earlier than nonsmokers"

or this:

"An estimated 7,600 smoking-related fires in residential buildings occur each year in the United States. While smoking-related fires accounted for only 2 percent of all residential building fires, they were a leading cause of civilian fire deaths, accounting for 14 percent of fire deaths in residential buildings"

TheTinMan

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 25, 2016
    North Carolina
    I just own it. People who don’t know, don’t want to know. So when someone says to me, “They say vaping is worse than smoking”, I just reply “yep”.

Yet I still vape and want smokers to see me vape. And here is how I own it and refuse to give out facts

Thanksgiving 2016
    Uncle Smoker: they say vaping is worse than smoking
    Me: yep

Thanksgiving 2017
    Uncle Smoker: a lot of people at work are vaping now. I’m getting interested
    Me: when you get ready to truly quit just let me know. I will set you up with everything you need, free of charge

Summer 2018
    Uncle Smoker has massive heart attack and nearly dies. He didn’t seek me out but he is now a vaper.

Heartsdelight

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Nov 10, 2015
    I just own it. People who don’t know, don’t want to know. So when someone says to me, “They say vaping is worse than smoking”, I just reply “yep”.

Yet I still vape and want smokers to see me vape. And here is how I own it and refuse to give out facts

Thanksgiving 2016
    Uncle Smoker: they say vaping is worse than smoking
    Me: yep

Thanksgiving 2017
    Uncle Smoker: a lot of people at work are vaping now. I’m getting interested
    Me: when you get ready to truly quit just let me know. I will set you up with everything you need, free of charge

Summer 2018
    Uncle Smoker has massive heart attack and nearly dies. He didn’t seek me out but he is now a vaper.
    Wow I hope Uncle Vaper is ok now.

Jet Knight

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 11, 2013
    Gotham
    Not sure if its ignorance, no desire to stop smoking cigarettes, misinterpretation of news facts, etc. At this point I am basically tired of explaining to them that vaping is a better alternative to smoking or aid in stopping to smoke cigarettes. I helped some along the way, some resorted back to smoking, and some are part time vapers, I've even gifted kits, and mods to many family members and friends to get them to stop smoking cigarettes. Success rate, sadly, was less than 30%.
    I'm more to helping/educating those new to vaping. Making sure they vape properly and safely with their new device/batteries/atties, etc.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread