Is 6v overrated?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndAllThingsWillEnd

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 23, 2011
Long Beach, CA
So, ok , I just got my prodigy and wow. I don't know if I'm just burning juice, but I'm longing for my ego... I had picked up some deluxe fluxomizers at 3.5 ohms and some boge 3 ohms and everything is just hot. Not much taste, alot of dry hits. I think might just pick up some 3.7v batts. Sorry, didn't mean to rant but just a little disappointed.

Dirgon

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2011
Saint Louis, Missouri, United States
CE2s suck at high wattages. You're rocking 10 watts there, and that's way over what CE2s can handle for wicking. I usually have to remove the fill plug and vape upside down for them to keep up at 10 watts (2.4 ohms @ 5v, for me)

I'm pretty happy in the 5.5-6 watt range. CE2s dry hit occasionally, but I've developed a "feel" for when it's time to flip it upside down and take a primer puff to get it wet again. I clip my fill plugs, though, to keep them from choking off my wicks.

My Boge 3.0s at 5 to 6 volts are okay, but there's not much improvement in vapor from 5 to 6, and the throat hit gets a little too intense and the flavor gets muted. I never get a dry hit with a Boge, though.

VV, or higher wattage vaping in general, just isn't for everyone. My VV mod sits in the 4.0 to 4.2 spot pretty much all the time. I only really use it because I like holding a box over an eGo clone batt now. =\

Keep in mind eGo and eGo clones are really 3.4 volts, and around 3.2 volts under load. A true 3.7 (under load) is a wonderful vape compared to an eGo/eGo Clone

Last edited:

Devonmoonshire

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2011
San Diego, CA
It really depends on what you use at 6V. The only thing I have ever used at 6 V that actually tasted decent was an XXL Dual Coil 2.2 Ohm Carto. I believe that in a dual coil that shows 2.2 Ohms each individual coil is 4.4 Ohms roughly. Normally though I use the mega dual coils 2.0 Ohms at around 5 to 5.4 Volts and it tastes perfect for me.

Nate aka Darth Vapor

Stosh

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2010
Nevada
Switching up voltages you just need to keep a check on the wattage you like.
6v with the 3-3.5 ohm cartos are running 10-12 watts where your 3.7 and 2 ohms
would be only <7 watts, and an ego at ~3.2v even less wattage.

To get ~7 watts at 6v you would need ~5 ohm atty or carto. :)

This like has an easy calculator Ohm's Law / Watt's Law Calculator

Devonmoonshire

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2011
San Diego, CA
Yeah I have never done well with anything that even remotely resembled a CE2 and the Fluxomizers I think are similar to those. The best thing I have used for my lower volt batteries like my Ego batteries is the dual coil 2 ohm cartos, they are awesome, way better than anything I have ever used on the Ego Batteries. I use te clear ones for the Ego's and the stainless steel ones in my Dual Coil MAP Tank on my Provari. For my Go Go I generally use the Go Go cartos but since I now have the adapter for the Go Go Battery to 510 connector I have one Go Go Pro set up with an XXL Dual Coil and another Go Go Set up with a 306 LR Drip Atty. Since the Go Go Comes off te charger at 4.2 volts it rocks those 306's like nobody's business

Nate aka Darth Vapor

cozzicon

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 19, 2010
Chicago IL
I guess I'm a 3.7 guy then. I'm more disappointed in the fluxomizers because they are all I really bought. I really thought 3.5 would be ok, but yeah not that great.

Nothing wrong with that. Many of us stay at 4.1 or below.

My favorite vape is a 2.4 or 2.8 ohm atty at 3.9 volts.

Devonmoonshire

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2011
San Diego, CA
I agree Cozzicon, There is absolutely nothing at all wrong with liking to stay at lower voltages. It is actually more work than a lot of people realize to maintain vaping with a VV Mod or a High Voltage Mod. It takes a bit of fiddling, I personally love adjusting things and constantly fiddling with my PV's. My Wife and my Mother on the other hand are extremely pleased with their 1000Mah Ego Batteries with dual coils running at 2 ohms on them.

Nate aka Darth Vapor

cozzicon

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 19, 2010
Chicago IL
I agree Cozzicon, There is absolutely nothing at all wrong with liking to stay at lower voltages. It is actually more work than a lot of people realize to maintain vaping with a VV Mod or a High Voltage Mod. It takes a bit of fiddling, I personally love adjusting things and constantly fiddling with my PV's. My Wife and my Mother on the other hand are extremely pleased with their 1000Mah Ego Batteries with dual coils running at 2 ohms on them.

Nate aka Darth Vapor

Although it should be noted that the higher end of the mod market things like the Darwin and Provari greatly simplify that fiddling. I tend to set my VV mods and forget them.

Devonmoonshire

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2011
San Diego, CA
Although it should be noted that the higher end of the mod market things like the Darwin and Provari greatly simplify that fiddling. I tend to set my VV mods and forget them.

This is very true, My Provari is pretty much set at 5 Volts, sometimes though I drop it to 4.8 or if I am having a really bad day I bump it up as high as 5.6 for a little more punch. The Provari, and Darwin are easier because they are a very nice digital readout of what you are set at. The Buzz Pro from what I have heard is also a very very solid device too, it just does not have the Digital Display.

Nate aka Darth Vapor

skinnee

ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2011
Minneapolis
skinneelabs.com
I too have a Prodigy V3.1 and have both 17670's and cr123 batts. And again, not truly happy with the 3.5ohm CE2's at 6.6V. And yes, it is all about the watts. So I've decided to try the 3.5 CE2's when I can get the batts down below 6v... Luckliy I have some HV single and dual coil cartos coming from MadVapes (COV has them too).

I guess, I'm determined to figure out 6v... even if that means switching cartos depending on the current batt power.

AndAllThingsWillEnd

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 23, 2011
Long Beach, CA
So I just tried the Fluxomizers again after having used the prodigy for almost all day, definitely an improvement. Still not great, but better. I think it might have something to do with the juice I'm using, since I'm not a big fan of what I got. I remember reading about letting the batteries sit for 24 hours before using them so that they don't put out too much juice.

MichaelOz

ECF Veteran
Jul 23, 2010
Czech Republic
Here is my 2 cents with higher voltage:

1. I don't like having a fixed voltage. I like having a variable voltage because each atomizer / cartomizer is differant, and as you vape it, the resistance changes over time.

2. 6v is the highest my VV device will go, and I find I never use it at this setting. I'm usually in the 3.7v-5.5v range depending on atty. But with cartomizers less is more 3.7-4.0v works the best.

3. I don't mind 3.7v vaping with LR atomizers or certain cartomizers, the problem I found is not many so-called 3.7v devices really push out 3.7v. I have one PV that produces only 2.2v (rated as 3.7v), and so the only PV I enjoy vaping on is my VV device (a provari). The 3 3.7v devices I have had in the past have all under performed, and their performance got worse over time.

bsb111

ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2011
Albuquerque, New Mexico
At 6v your fluxomizers will be putting out 10 watts +/-, at 6v your catros will be putting out 12 watts +/-; nothing tastes good to me at anything over 8 watts (fuloxmizers @ 5 watts max). Pobably just me and my taste buds; have tried different PG/VG ratios and over 40 different jucies; also dabble in DIY juice and once (by accident) I created "something" (not repeatable) that was OK to vatpe @ 9 watts. I am a noob and by no means an expert at anything relating to vaping. Just my two cents worth.

madjack

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2011
Central Louisiana
Get some of these, they are the same dimensions as a 18650. You will love those 3ohm Boge cartos.

5 Volt NIMH 600mAh Battery for The Meglodon

And yes, 6v vaping is kinda like taking the heating element out of a cloths dryer for a good 220v vape.
(did I just say overkill)

...would I be correct in assuming these need a specific charger since they are NiMh batts..........
madjack:2cool:

*edit*...D'OH, went and looked for and found the answer...........mj

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread