Is gouging good for the vaping community?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rondasherrill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 19, 2012
Valhalla
I just want to say that finding the PIF thread is so difficult! I did find it once, then again with a banner like yours. I read through it and think it is a great thing. I just don't have anything to pay forward yet, I have several juices that I don't like, but read I should let them age a bit before I decide I really don't like them. I started mixing my own and am waiting on them to get good enough to vape. THANK YOU FOR YOUR BANNER, it helps newbies like me find it.

As soon as I have something to pay forward, I plan on participating. I will have quite a collection of flavors I don't care for and hope someone can use.

Feel free to drop into the PIF subforum and say hi to everyone. There are lots of fun game and contest threads too. They are very understanding of newbies who obviously wouldn't have much to offer yet. For future reference PIF is under "Social Groups Forums"->"Miscellaneous Groups" on the front page.

jimbalny

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 3, 2011
New York
I agree with you wholeheartedly, price gouging does nothing for this community. I've been guilty of selling something for the same price I bought it for months earlier, only with a whole more added value such as a handful of boges or other atties/accessories that I no longer have any use for due to moving on to different things. And I think on one occasion I sold a lavatank, which are ridiculously hard to get, for around 15 bux more than I paid. But on that occasion I also threw in a bunch of other stuff to go with it. It's like that saying that it's better to under-promise and over-deliver then to over-promise and under-deliver. Also it feels nice to get more than you expected and it feels nice to know you gave someone their hard-earned money's worth. I believe karma is real - in a supernatural sense as well as a mental sense. Doing the right thing just feels good. There was one case where I sold a pv for a reasonable price, and about a month later I see that same person's classifieds post with the word "rare" in the title with a much higher price than they paid me MINUS the things I threw in. It's a bit insulting but whatever, dont ever let your moral high ground be compromised by the negative actions of others.

I understand that there are certain products that are hard to get a hold of because of limited production or the waiting time for shipping from out of the country, there are people who will happily pay a premium to get a hold of that product in all it's mysterious allure. Both sides need to ask themselves, "Is it really worth it?" To take advantage of the current supply/demand, or to be a victim of the current supply/demand?

And to pay $500 for a used GG that someone paid less than half of that for is beyond wasteful. If the product really was the holy grail of all mods, then why is the seller getting rid of it in the first place? This kind of gouging is blatant profiteering and simply should not be allowed in the classifieds. Now, as far as trading goes - I think it's fine for someone to trade something in low supply for something of higher in value. It's bartering and it's fair because there is negotiation and both sides have to be happy with the deal to go forward. Not like, oh I really want this PV and if I don't pay the full asking price someone else will swoop in and grab it before me.

cags

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2011
east TN
I agree that sellers should be able to sell for whatever price they want - even though I find it appalling and kinda shameful to sell something used for more than it was new and often the extras are used too. (and I bought something once that the seller said included extras but I didn't get any extras) I can even understand why we can't comment negatively on the price, but what I would like to see happen is a rule that there can't be any comments on price positive or negative. people are always saying "great price" etc, when I think it's a horrible price, they can say great (even if it's not) and I can't say squat :(

I would love a reo, but my budget is 50.00. that's never going to happen LOL that's ok, my joye 510s and egos work great :)

Last edited:

cags

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2011
east TN
I agree that sellers should be able to sell for whatever price they want - even though I find it appalling and kinda shameful .................

I'm quoting myself, I want to say that I regret using the word "shameful" because if I had something I paid 5.00 for and somebody wanted to buy it for a million, I am sure I would sell it :oops: I am not a saint :unsure:

kwalka

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2012
Clearwater, Florida
walkers-finest.com
I started a listing in the classys following OB's lead with "below what I paid pricing" and after several posts this is what happened. BTW JM is johnny maestro the classy asst mgr :

I'm closing this for right now. A few of these types of sales have popped up and I permitted them but it's getting out of hand. Yes it's your prerogative to sell to whoever you want to but for people stopping by to see the thread it's a waste of time if they don't want to adhere to some sort of unknown qualifier to be permitted to purchase. This is not the intended use of the classifieds.

This subforum was designed so you could purchase or sell an item to someone who has money to buy it without applying a personal want qualifier. I may reopen this later after I receive guidance from an admin.

Thanks,

JM.

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
if you want to see an example of people helping people on the ECF, check out the PIF sub forum, which is the link in my signature. Best group of people I have ever associated myself with.

New members forum as well, people giving of their time and expertise.

Heck, just about ALL the areas of the forum, actually.

And, don't forget, there is a great deal of kindness running underground, i.e. people do send each other stuff all the time, behind the scenes, to help each other out. Friendships are built, etc.

Classifieds has it's place, too. I don't have a problem with vaping equip becoming *collectible*.....heck, some of it is downright beautiful, it would be nice to know that it will be displayed and well cared for by someone who loves it?

Nurzrachit

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 14, 2011
Gray,GA.
I feel like a jackass for having to have a collection. I used to have a roughstack and a 3.7V box for backup. Now I'm not nearly as high ended as some of the goofs on this site. I just got a VV gripper and of course a faux lavatube and some ego twists. But who needs all that s**t anyway, I can only vape one at a time. And guess what I'm holding? Friggin roughstack. I would have to say as those previously have said, if we don't buy at the higher prices the gouging should go away. I have noticed though, nobody seems to look at the lower end mods on the classies, and the big money junk keeps floating to the top. Maybe if people stopped bumping for "great Mod" this and that it would help as well. Or, there could be a range for prices on the side and a trade subcategory. Anyway thats my piece, I will say though theat I did make a comment about a provari the other day, and the owner PM'ed me and told me to watch it that I could get flagged or something for commenting on the price, so I had to edit my post. What's up with that?

MagnusEunson

Bearded Super Villain
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 30, 2011
Behind you
Gouging suggests this is a monopoly market situation - it simply isn't.

There are a good number of ways prices come down but shaming or suggesting moderation of Classified pricing isn't one of them. Heck, the vendors themselves could offer express service (I recall Chuck doing that actually) and it'd reduce the situation. Otherwise let it be - or offer up your equivalents for a more modest price and compete. ;-)

I like to see the community heartening feelings but I'm not overly worried about the premium markup market. It has a place and time - we're just "in the prime" of it right now. -Magnus

charmed412

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 5, 2010
constant state of confusion
I feel like a jackass for having to have a collection. I used to have a roughstack and a 3.7V box for backup. Now I'm not nearly as high ended as some of the goofs on this site. I just got a VV gripper and of course a faux lavatube and some ego twists. But who needs all that s**t anyway, I can only vape one at a time. And guess what I'm holding? Friggin roughstack. I would have to say as those previously have said, if we don't buy at the higher prices the gouging should go away. I have noticed though, nobody seems to look at the lower end mods on the classies, and the big money junk keeps floating to the top. Maybe if people stopped bumping for "great Mod" this and that it would help as well. Or, there could be a range for prices on the side and a trade subcategory. Anyway thats my piece, I will say though theat I did make a comment about a provari the other day, and the owner PM'ed me and told me to watch it that I could get flagged or something for commenting on the price, so I had to edit my post. What's up with that?

I understand what you are saying, but from reading the new members forum, looks to me like a lot of new members want to jump from egos to the most expensive best new thing right away. And for some, it does save them money in the long run. I am glad that I started slowly. It took me a long time to build up what I have and even longer to figure out what works best for me. Do I drool over some to the latest and greatest...you bet your ......am I buying them...nope. Would I if I could afford them, probably not.

A few months ago, I put some older cheaper mods in an ad. I have a V1 roughstack that had a new switch and both tubes. I priced it at $25 shipped. It got no bites at all. And so it sits and will continue to sit. In the same ad, I had a nice mod that retails for over $100. I priced $40 below retail and it was basically new.......and had a dozen pms asking for a much much lower price. And when I said no, I got some nasty comments. And I explained that I needed a certain amount to buy my seizure meds. Then I got the nasty pms that if I needed money so bad, why was I not selling my lavatanks at a huge profit. If I wanted to sell my lavatanks, they would have been in my ad....

ummm I get bored easily so to keep my self satisfied, I usually have at least 6 mods with 6 different flavors going at once....so one at a time won't do it for me :)

Last edited:

rtrain99

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 25, 2009
The 808 state
I think in the long run it drives the cost up. I remember about a year and change ago the GG was about $150. With the minimal improvements done to it constitute a $70 hike in such a short time. Same materials maybe a ts tube an ss option does not compute. As well with new modders. They check out the classys and see how much people are willing to pay for a product, maybe that determines release dates (to deem it a rare item) and pricing. Yeah, it's hard to police and people are going to pay whatever and whenever. I guess it comes down to if that particular seller. If he can sleep at night so be it. If the buyer wants to get screwed so be it. Just saying, if you think about it it ultimately feces the prices up. I would hope with the price hike comes the utmost customer care.

MagnusEunson

Bearded Super Villain
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 30, 2011
Behind you
I think in the long run it drives the cost up. I remember about a year and change ago the GG was about $150. With the minimal improvements done to it constitute a $70 hike in such a short time.

I really doubt that has anything to do w/ Classifieds. Demand on the GGs has always been high - regardless of pricing in Classies. And like other similarly desirable devices the price is going to move up as such. Throw in potential issues in supply-chain due to the geopolitics in the region and just good business sense - voila. Also, direct product improvement isn't the only improvement that pricing can justify - turn-around, spare parts, more resellers stocked, etc. all factor in.

All of that plays more on direct pricing that Classifieds would. -Magnus

KTaylor

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2011
Cape Coral, FL
BigErn I agree with the gouging part. I bought a brand new penelope from an amazing seller for 20.00 less than retail. Awesome person who I actually spoke to on the phone during the transaction. Even if it was 20.00 more I would have paid it because I wanted it, but then I see an Ody V2 (122.00+shipping new from COV) that was up for 399.00. That IMO is taking advantage of the dry market until they are back in stock around Oct or Nov. I am dying to add one of these next to my penelope but will not be that ignorant, I'll wait for COV to get them back in seeing as how they are only 2 hours away from me. I wonder sometimes if there are people who are just buying all of these items they can when they are in stock knowing there will be a dry period when gone, only to turn a profit due to demand. I find a strong bond among all of us vapers, never judging and always helping anyway we can. I have PIF'd a ton of stuff to help people get off the analogs and support them every step of the way. Hopefully this thread will change the outlook of those who are not it this for the right reasons.

Thank you The Ob and others that have followed suite and for starting this thread BigErn. Vape on!!!

MagnusEunson

Bearded Super Villain
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 30, 2011
Behind you
Personal pride is a factor though. If you made a product and saw it go for double, wouldn't you increase the price "slightly". I understand what you're saying how the prices gradually increase. Maybe the GG was a bad example because of the political be that the region has him through as of late.

Alright - we can agree on that reasonably enough. ;-) -Magnus

CASEACE79

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2011
Delaware
Soo love this thread as I am of the like mind. I have sold 2 phidius, 3 lavatanks, and a Genesis LV all at or below cost. I will never charge more than I paid. And besides morals it comes down to the community. I consider everyone here as a potential friend. Somebody I'd like to sit down and have a cup of coffee with. I find it so strange the the majority of the community can be so social and friendly in one breath and find it ok to take advantage of someone just because something is hard to get in the next. It's not surprising that I see a lot of friends chime in on this thread. It's just the type of people I like to associate myself with. Right here and now I pledge to all of you that I will NEVER charge more than I pay for an item or purchase one at bloated oportunistic prices. (not that I won't buy something over cost because a member is in a tight spot financially) On a side note strangely enough I started a similar thread a couple weeks ago. http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...ussion/316456-supply-demand-e-cig-market.html

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread