Is it beneficial to replace a coil just because you feel like it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bushmaster

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 19, 2010
Colville, WA
No, I'm dead serious. I wick with cellucotton so I re-wick every 2 or 3 days and dry burn my coil while doing so. I always try to check the ohms on my coil at that time and it always seems to remain right at 1.0 ohm where I like it. However, when my coil has been on for a couple weeks or more, I start wondering--"should I replace the coil while I'm here?"
So my question is: Are there other factors that will allow a new coil to perform in a manner superior to an older one even though they measure the same ohms on the multimeter?
Edit: ok, ok, ok, I mean other than the psychological factor where our minds fool us into thinking so.:)

Last edited:

ancient puffer

EX PV Collector
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2011
Virginia, USA
Good question. I've been running the same coil(s) in an Odin since Jan 10th, I just checked the Ωs yesterday, and it's the same (net) .6 it was when I built it. So I just dry burned and kept on vaping. I gotta say, as best I can remember, it's vaping the same as it did when I built it. (Silica wick, btw)

pwheeler

Just Vaping
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 14, 2013
Weimar, TX
I use a coil until it breaks or I notice a marked decrease in performance. I don't know the reasons behind it, but an old coil that has been dry-burned over and over, even though it reads what it's supposed to, has really diminished performance. I've been running the same coils in my Derringer for a month. I've re-wicked a few times and dry-burned at the same time, this morning being one of them, and it just isn't hitting like it used to. So, I'll go ahead and rebuild it. I won't redo good coils unless it's a new atty and I'm not liking the build I put on it.

Sent by REO vapor

muzichead

Resident Knucklehead
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 7, 2011
Illinois
I only do it if there is something different I want to try. I had a build in my Nuppin' that was a little over 7 months old and only changed it because I wanted to try some 3mm RxW in it. I had the same coil and same wick in it for the entire time. Usually once I set up an atty, there is no need to change it out as I only use RxW in all my setups. Only need to dry burn, (coil & wick), every couple days and I'm good to go...

pennysmalls

Squonkmeister
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 26, 2013
Indiana
I use a coil until it breaks or I notice a marked decrease in performance. I don't know the reasons behind it, but an old coil that has been dry-burned over and over, even though it reads what it's supposed to, has really diminished performance. I've been running the same coils in my Derringer for a month. I've re-wicked a few times and dry-burned at the same time, this morning being one of them, and it just isn't hitting like it used to. So, I'll go ahead and rebuild it. I won't redo good coils unless it's a new atty and I'm not liking the build I put on it.

Sent by REO vapor

That is me to a T. I usually get about a month to six weeks out of my coils, depending on the juices I run, in my Odins before I change them out due to diminished performance. And it's so obvious once the new coils are in place that the old coils weren't hitting as hard as they had been. I love brand spanking new hard hitting coils. I keep track of when the coils are built so that when I think the coils in one of my atties may be slowing down I can check when they were built and that usually tells me I'm right, it's been over a month and they need replacing. I run my coils hard though all day everyday with high vg juices so I probably won't ever get as much use out of my coils as other people do.

dbrandt01

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2014
Alabama
I always rebuild coils when I'm bored, I build it the same anyways and have plenty of kanthal to do it. My coils in both my odins have been in since the 7th this month and both are performing fine still. Never found a need to rewick often either since I use unflavored now. I have easily made 2 weeks on cotton and only changed it because I was dumb and dripped some flavor on to try it and couldn't get the taste out.

ed101z

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 1, 2013
East TN
Great thread Bush. My experiences have been this. How often you change coils really depends on the juice you use, which ultimately... dictates the vaping experience. Clear Unflavored NIC Base; Dark N.E.T juices; and Fruity sweet juices are very different. Frequent dry burning (once a day or more), causes the Kanthal to turn dark brown/black, and subsequently... the fire-up ability slows down. So, in those cases, changing the coil accordingly will offer better performance. I mean, why totally exhaust the wire when you really don't have to? Kanthal is cheap and inexpensive. Much cheaper than Juice. I usually change my coil every 3 days.

ckquatt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 8, 2013
Milledgeville, GA
I rebuild whenever i feel like it. Theres no rhyme or reason. I have several hundred feet of kanthal, and enough KGD pads for 3 lifetimes. Sometimes I'll rebuild after a couple of days, or it may be a couple of weeks. Usually whenever I dry burn/clean a coil more than 3 to 4 times, I build a nice shiny new one.

bushmaster

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 19, 2010
Colville, WA
Great thread Bush. My experiences have been this. How often you change coils really depends on the juice you use, which ultimately... dictates the vaping experience. Clear Unflavored NIC Base; Dark N.E.T juices; and Fruity sweet juices are very different. Frequent dry burning (once a day or more), causes the Kanthal to turn dark brown/black, and subsequently... the fire-up ability slows down. So, in those cases, changing the coil accordingly will offer better performance. I mean, why totally exhaust the wire when you really don't have to? Kanthal is cheap and inexpensive. Much cheaper than Juice. I usually change my coil every 3 days.

Makes sense. My juice is the hot cinnamon juice that gunks things up fast. (Robert calls it battery acid).
Re-coiling every 3 days--that's impressive.:) Still, I can see that if you notice the difference. Like you say, wire is cheap.

bushmaster

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 19, 2010
Colville, WA
For me, the benefit is attached to the notion that "I can do this better. I'm only right about half of the time but kanthal is cheap and I like to play with my vaping toys.

That is a great point. Because no two builds are exactly the same--your coil may be slightly higher or slightly closer to the squonk hole. Either of those qualities can certainly change the nature of your vape. Only experience leads us to that kind of consistancy.

USMCotaku

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
California

Sent by REO vapor

The repeated dry burns create an oxidized coating. A thin coating is good, makes a coil heat evenly, but I'm sure if it builds up it will reduce heat production

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
I just built this little freak yesterday I just got it yesterday too. I'll prolly rebuild it again if I get bored, to make a vid or to change resistance.

Usually it's a combination thereof that constitutes a rebuild for me.

a06207845769c52999763eb9e1da089b.jpg

ed101z

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 1, 2013
East TN
Makes sense. My juice is the hot cinnamon juice that gunks things up fast. (Robert calls it battery acid).
Re-coiling every 3 days--that's impressive.:) Still, I can see that if you notice the difference. Like you say, wire is cheap.
I don't HAVE to change every 3 days, but that's when I see the blackish, worn out look of the Kanthal. I notice more battery usage to compensate for the slower fire up time.

What should I be seeing here, Russ or......am I having a senior moment?
:laugh:

My definition of Senior Moment:: The moment you realize things have changed so drastically in this world... you feel like an outsider -- looking in. That my friend,... can happen at 40. :toast:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread