is it only me?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin King

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 21, 2012
PA
or does someone else agree that once you use cotton cheesecloth wick and kanthal wire you literally CANT vape anything else??? im almost...upset kinda.

after getting my first rba at vapercon2 (phoenix) and experimenting with different wicks, ive come to find that cotton cheesecloth and 28g or 30g kanthal produces the HANDS DOWN best flavor. and i also filed the air hole on the phoenix wich made a ton of difference vapor wise. but now when i try to use my IKV iO6s, (only 1 out of 5 worked correctly), or my 357s even, its just not the same and doesnt even compare to the cotton/kanthal!

so now im just looking at a plastic container filled with various atomizers that...im pretty much not going to use as of now. but i still feel the urge to order some new ikv 306s. aghhhh someone stop me. direct me to some quality RBAs so i can build my own! FOREVER! lol

pianoguy

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 4, 2009
Apple Valley, MN
I have a Chalice and a couple of ERA's that I use on my REO's. I use #3 unprimed square-braid cotton wick and kanthal (currently 32-gauge, but I have some 30-gauge coming so I can get a couple more wraps at the same ohms). I like the cotton, but I usually have to rebuild every day or two.

recidivus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 20, 2012
Canada
www.youtube.com
I'm personally not fond of cotton wicks, they have an undertone taste that I can't enjoy. I use SS on my phoenix XL and, once it's broken in, find that gives me the cleanest taste. Other than my distaste of cotton I am not terribly picky about my feeds; I actively use vivis, RBAs (w/ss), HH.357, cartotanks, bridged and bridgeless atomizers.

Kevin King

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 21, 2012
PA
maybe once i give SS mesh a try i will love that even more. but for now i am using 100% undied/unbleached cotton cheesecloth. ive tried rolled cotton before but it burned way to quickly and gave a strong/strange taste to me. and i do like cartomizers, but they give poor vapor compared to attys and i dont like that i guess

donnah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Albemarle, North Carolina
I've tried cotton balls, cheesecloth and bamboo thread. I like them all but cotton balls are much easier to wrap a coil around (for me anyway) with the cheesecloth and bamboo thread... when I line them up against a pin and then start to wrap my coils, the other end of the wick wants to droop and it's hard to hold it straight to wrap. The rolled cotton ball seems to hold straighter and is easier to wrap around.

damthisisfun

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2012
Katy, TX
I have almost a whole bolt of cotton cheesecloth. I used a bit of it in my Vivi Nova, but once I figured out how to use my Nextel Ceramic, the cheesecloth is done for. I'm on week #2 with the same ceramic wick, and I can burn it white until the coil fails.

Hmmmm - can you give me a link on where to purchase this? No issues with disintegrating like with silica wicks? Thanks

damthisisfun

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2012
Katy, TX
I have almost a whole bolt of cotton cheesecloth. I used a bit of it in my Vivi Nova, but once I figured out how to use my Nextel Ceramic, the cheesecloth is done for. I'm on week #2 with the same ceramic wick, and I can burn it white until the coil fails.

I just googled 3m silica wick - It is made from alumina-boria-silica fibers......... Alumina is aluminum oxide, no idea what boria is - and still has silica. So this is better than regular silica wicks because it doesnt break down into those tiny shards one could possibly inhale?

pianoguy

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 4, 2009
Apple Valley, MN
I've tried cotton balls, cheesecloth and bamboo thread. I like them all but cotton balls are much easier to wrap a coil around (for me anyway) with the cheesecloth and bamboo thread... when I line them up against a pin and then start to wrap my coils, the other end of the wick wants to droop and it's hard to hold it straight to wrap. The rolled cotton ball seems to hold straighter and is easier to wrap around.

That's one of the things I like about the square-braided cotton wick. I just cut a piece about 1/2" long, then stick a needle up the middle of it, and wrap my coil around it. Real easy to work with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread