Is it just me that thinks cutting kanthal with scissors is a stupid idea?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
Maybe I am doing it wrong. I just wiggle it back and forth a few times and it breaks.

That was true for me, when I used 32ga, when I first started rebuilding for my old T3S's and mini PT II; and maybe even with 30ga. But now that I nearly always use 29ga, I have to cut it. I use nail clippers -- not big giant toenail clippers, but a small clipper that wasn't being used for its intended purpose, so I re-purposed it for my coil building.

Andria

danfinger

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 29, 2014
Virgo Super Cluster
Hell back in my early vaping days I used to have to walk 6 no it was 10 miles up hill both ways just to use the only pair of scissors in town. Till someone spoiled it by trying to cut barbed wire with them. Then we had to resort to twisting the excess wire off our builds. [emoji12]

Actual scissors?!? Pure luxury! When I was a lad, I had to walk 18 miles to a city dump during a snow storm with no shoes or pants on. The only thing to cut kanthal with there was the guard dog's one remaining tooth. And he was hardly cooperative.

Last edited:

jrs99

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2013
King George, VA
I use Klein Electrician's Scissors to cut my wire off the spool then I just wiggle the wires til they break off for coil legs.
Nail clippers always seemed like a pretty dumb way to cut wire. Not to mention they don't cut wire very well and the cutting edges are easily damaged.
I use surgical scissors to cut lengths of KGD and cuticle scissors for the actual wick trimming.
Knives are not screw drivers or pry bars
Nail clippers are not wire cutters

The Torch

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 12, 2012
Montreal
Are we getting snobby about what tools we use to cut a tiny little wire and a wad of cotton now?

Sometimes I just twist the kanthal till it snaps. How crude.

Yes, rebuilding atomizers should be regarded as vaping snobism! :vapor:

I don't see a problem with twisting wire till it snaps... (unless that creates a short). I see a problem with using tools that will notch because they were not made to resist to wire cutting (I call it tool mutilation). I also have a problem with using one's teeth to tear plastic or using a sledge hammer to drive nails in, but I admit I can be a little fancy when it comes to practical stuff :D

K_Tech

Slightly mad but harmless
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Eastern Ohio, USA
Just a little rant. I see heaps of people cutting their coil legs with the same scissors as they would use with cutting their cotton wick. now its fine if you only use 30g and under but ive seen people use them to cut 26g and occasionally even 24g. I used to do it and the scissors would get very blunt over time making wick cutting a hassle and a half. I now use a flush cutter for kanthal so much easier, cleaner cuts, and they never get blunt.

Lol. I've worked with electricity, electronics, and instrumentation and control systems for almost 30 years. Installation, operation, maintenance, and repair.

I cringe when I see someone cutting wire with nail clippers or scissors.

danfinger

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 29, 2014
Virgo Super Cluster
I cringe when I see someone cutting wire with nail clippers or scissors.

Then what would an electrician do with these? I have a pair and they work great at scissoring just about anything which can be scissor'd. The wire stripper built in is great for speaker wire and CAT5 ...

Electrician's Scissors

K_Tech

Slightly mad but harmless
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Eastern Ohio, USA
Then what would an electrician do with these? I have a pair and they work great at scissoring just about anything which can be scissor'd. The wire stripper built in is great for speaker wire and CAT5 ...

Electrician's Scissors

I actually have a pair of those in my tool bag, but I rarely use them. They're handy, but limited.

Moodyfisherman

ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2013
City of Destiny, Wa
It could be the new culture of everything being disposable that gives you pause using scissors. If you think you have to get new ones if they dull or get dinged up, that would be a good reason to want to make sure they don't. Or maybe I'm spoiled. I have whet stones, ceramic rods, belt sanders, diamond stones, and strops. My edged tools never have to go without maintenance.

Yes your spoiled.....stated only because I am jealous of your array of man tools....lol :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread