Status
Not open for further replies.

devauto

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 13, 2013
NoVA
I've got some great advice from this forum as a fairly new recruit, but I'm beginning to wonder about something.
When I vape I have an expectation which as yet hasn't actually happened. I expect to inhale and taste a wonderfully smooth vape that's soft on the throat and is true to the taste of whatever juice I'm vaping. So if its strawberry it should taste like mouthwatering strawberries. (and i know some juices are good and bad, but stick with me here)

Instead I take a vape and have minimal sensation of the sweet flavour i expect and a harshness to the back of my throat that sometimes makes me cough…like a small choke.

Now Im vaping 70/30 VG, before it was higer PG, use 18mg nic and have heaps and heaps of ejuices for my Kanger evod on a 510 battery. Sometimes I add more vg to try and get a smoother vape.
Also despite heaps of water, by the end of the day anything i tape tastes dry.

I was looking into getting a Variable but am a bit nervous now in case I feel no taste or smoothness improvement and waste my money. Im in Oz so it takes a couple of weeks to receive orders so I want to make sure the next order i place includes ideas you guys may have for me?????
I hope!!!.

Okay, in fairness I have not yet read any further in this thread, so someone else may have already covered this, but here is my take on it from my own experiences.

That harshness is most likely a combination of PG and voltage from your device. There are several things you can try that may help get you where you want to be.

First I would recommend cutting your mixes back to a 50/50 PG/VG blend and giving that a try for smoothing out the vape and reducing the harshness in the back of your throat. If that doesn't work, try changing again to 60/40 ... rinse and repeat until you get the mix that is what you are looking for. It may turn out that 100% VG is what you end up with, but really the only way to find out what is best for you is to try.

Second, I would spend the money on a VV or VV/VW device. These are fantastic in the sense that they allow you to adjust the flavor/strength of your vape by adjusting up and down until you find the sweet spot that works best for you. As a *general rule*, the higher the voltage, the stronger the throat hit, and the lower the voltage the stronger the flavor. Personally I prefer VW over VV because then it doesn't matter what tank/coil combination I put on the battery, the delivery will be consistant and can be tweaked if necessary, although it is rarely necessary for me.

So to recap, I would suggest a VV/VW device, and a higher blend of VG in your juices to increase the flavor and reduce the throat hit/harshness. As always though, vaping is especially personal, and YMMV!

HTH

~Sue~Feb2012

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 10, 2012
USA
I've got some great advice from this forum as a fairly new recruit, but I'm beginning to wonder about something.
When I vape I have an expectation which as yet hasn't actually happened. I expect to inhale and taste a wonderfully smooth vape that's soft on the throat and is true to the taste of whatever juice I'm vaping. So if its strawberry it should taste like mouthwatering strawberries. (and i know some juices are good and bad, but stick with me here)

Instead I take a vape and have minimal sensation of the sweet flavour i expect and a harshness to the back of my throat that sometimes makes me cough…like a small choke.

Now Im vaping 70/30 VG, before it was higer PG, use 18mg nic and have heaps and heaps of ejuices for my Kanger evod on a 510 battery. Sometimes I add more vg to try and get a smoother vape.
Also despite heaps of water, by the end of the day anything i tape tastes dry.

I was looking into getting a Variable but am a bit nervous now in case I feel no taste or smoothness improvement and waste my money. Im in Oz so it takes a couple of weeks to receive orders so I want to make sure the next order i place includes ideas you guys may have for me?????
I hope!!!.
Wow I sympathize with you. Many people have given good advice as to the devices you could try on this and other threads.

I don't know which vendors ship to Victoria but I did have to read many of your posts elsewhere to realize that you are having lots of trouble with the liquid too. I don't know which ones you have but let me tell you that you can get good flavor, smoothness and throat hit from 100% VG e-liquids. You might be having trouble with too much PG and/or the types of flavorings used in your liquids. Some flavorings cause the problems you are having! Some flavorings are made with a lot of PG. Some e-liquids with be awful and make you cough and choke no matter what delivery devices you are using!

Again, sorry you are having problems and not all vendors ship to Australia:(

Good luck and keep us posted as to whatever works (liquids and devices.) :)

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
Well all of this info is amazing thank you.
I use a bottom coil kanger evod, 1.8ohm, I clean and dry burn after every 2 tanks, although thats hard to monitor as I change tanks frequently to change flavour. When i clean I also dry burn.
My battery is 1100mah standard ego or evod and I'm on 18mg nic coz I still crave cigs.
I drink heaps of water too so it seems Im not doing too much wrong other than trying a 2.2ohm coil or going to a VV OR making my own juice…which scares me coz I have not looked into it.

If I change my wick setup does that mean i need to change my clearo…I'm using evods and they recommend 1.8ohm.? Its obviously possible to enjoy my vaping more than i am now???

Who told ya that? :blink: The heads come in 1.5, 1.8, 2.0, 2.2 & 2.5 ohm.

There is only one coil for both the Kanger ProTank and EVOD at this point. Structurally, it's the same thing and fits either the PT or EVOD base. But the coil for T3s/MT3s clearos is different and isn't designed for an EVOD or PT. Just something to pay attention to when you are buying.

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
oh and if i go Variable, whats the recommended starting level…3volt/watt?

With any new coil in these devices you always start at your lowest available voltage/wattage and move up from there until you find the flavor and vapor production you are looking for. No need to over think this point. New or just cleaned coils work very well at low voltages and may require bumping up as the coil and wick get mucked up. Starting too high to begin with can trash a clean coil in short order. You cannot "un-burnt" gunk from a coil and wick by dropping the voltage back down after the damage has already been done.

Sucker_dad

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2013
topeka, ks, USA
Try a mech/RSST tank with SS rope and DIY juice,100% win.

REALLY? REALLY? A brand new vapor and you'e telling them to go to a mech with an RSST stainless steel rope and DIY? Let him walk first he hasn't even tried a vv yet. I would suggest a vv Ego twist with an IGO-L or mini RDA to start and see what flavor can be like. It can be fantastic if you want it to be. I also used Evods, Mini protank 2 Smoktech Aro and a couple others before I started to drip. It is a little different in that there is no tank to fill on an RDA you build a coil which is not as hard as it sounds. wick it with cotton or silica. I suggest cotton as it is really cheap wicks well and has a clean flavor. Then you drip the juice through the top onto the coil. I use quite a bit of cotton and I drip about ten drops and it will last me about 15 minutes if I'm really chain vaping. The flavor cannot be beat. If you like it then consider going into the mechs and the RBA world. Just so you know a RDA is a rebuildable dripping atomizer and a RBA is the same thing with a reservoir underneath so you don't have to drip all the time. I don't use them because I like to change the flavor quite a bit. Some people swear by them though. If you ever get to try a dripper though the flavor from a clearo just seems dull in comparison.

stylezuk

ECF Veteran
Nov 16, 2013
Opps,sorry mate,didnt realize he was a noobie,id say get a Vamo if you decide to step up and cost is pretty low.Maybe try a 510 dripper,its proberly is your juice too,it took me a while too find the juice i like.

I'd agree Vamo and for a Tank the Vivi Nova it's a simple top coil, easy to clean and nice vape, i use the Igo-W & AGI at home but when out and about the Vivi does the job.

Credo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2011
MS
Try a mech/RSST tank with SS rope and DIY juice,100% win.

Let the OP master the stock tanks and liquids first :)

Next he could experiment with simply adding cotton or yarn flavor wicks to the stock-premade coils. Just lay a small bit of surgical grade cotton over the stock coil and keep it wet. You can also make flavor wicks that don't even touch the coil (air through the raw liquid of a lightly saturated bit of cotton enhances the flavor and cuts back some on the throat hit).

Then possibly rewind one on his own and experiment with different types of wicks.
EVod and ProTank bottom coil types: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ronX4skUQhw
Vivi Nova top coil types: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6_b-uUKVJg

If OP wants to venture into a rebuildable tank this soon, I personally world recommend the KayFun style clone at around $30 each (price for clones, the real deals are $90+). It's far easier for a novice coil builder to get up and running at peak performance with a micro/cotton build. They don't leak either. The biggest issues I have with these big stainless steel monsters is how 'heavy' and 'tall' they are. You also need to 'clean the the brand new ones very well' before trying to use (remove the machine oils and stuff).

If the KayFun style is not an option, starting out with a 2+ Ohm COTTON WICK on the RSST (or other Genesis style tank) leads to a pretty easy to build, less leak prone tank. It'll also work well on more different battery types (the higher Mah hybrid cells for instance) without a sub-ohm mech rig.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbbwKQn5Msk

Last edited:
I've gotta say that if nothing else I know now I've got a lot to learn!! When you guys start talking sub ohm's, RBA's and hybrid cells I feel so ignorant.
I appreciate all the help and advice though just not sure if I'm ready for building my own mech yet. I'll read all the posts again and let it sink in. That is probably my next step as it seems the flavour comes out the best.
I just received my sigelei zmax and so far so good. I'm realising that lower volts takes the throat kick away so Im loving the variable. It has helped a little with the flavour but after buying probably 80 e liquids I'm now wondering when you say it takes a while to find the right one, how many did you buy before you found it!
I'm loving Karma cream from Mr good capes and bermuda rain from Mr Eliquid, and banana cream from apollo. The remaining 77 I go back to and try but not much luck. I read time can improve them?

meanckz

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 18, 2013
Greer, SC
www.facebook.com
Dare I say it?

DIY!!!

:banana:

Been DIY a couple of weeks now, and get the best vape ever, I can adjust just about everything....also went 100% VG, even the nic is 100% VG .... only PG i'm getting is from flavors.
I can add as much or as little flavor as I want and if I make a liquid that's not flavorful enough, I just add a couple drops in the tank itself....I sooooo love DIY!!!!

:rickroll:

meanckz

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 18, 2013
Greer, SC
www.facebook.com
You can buy Evod coils at either 1.8 or 2.2 ohms...just make sure that they give you an option where you buy them. I get mine from Altsmoke but there may be less $$ places to get them. Also make sure you separate the LR from the SR because they aren't marked and you can easily mix them up.

not sure what you're paying, Discountvapers.com has genuine Kanger coils for $6 per 5 pack and also has 2.5 ohm heads and many more

alisa1970

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 30, 2013
Portland, OR
not sure what you're paying, Discountvapers.com has genuine Kanger coils for $6 per 5 pack and also has 2.5 ohm heads and many more

Much less than what I paid, but the extra 10 I bought I have had for over 2 months, and I still have some new still in the bag. Good to know when I need more though!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread