Is it safe to use mechanical mods - to subohm?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently I purchased a second Skeleton Key mechanical mod and gave it to my son. I started him on an Itazte SVG shortly after I started vaping myself to help him quit chewing tobacco. About a month after he had been using the SVG, he expressed a desire to move up to a mechanical mod. This prompted a question from my wife Debby that I have been pondering for weeks now. Is it safe to use mechanical mods; to subohm?

I purchased my first mechanical mod, a Chi Megan with a Tugboat dripper, about four weeks after I first started vaping. I have been vaping now for about four months and I own over 200 authentic mechanical mods and about 250 authentic drippers. About two weeks ago, I started building my own coils. Have I gone off the deep end? Am I fooling around with potential pipe bombs?

Concerning the aforementioned questions, I really don’t know if I can promulgate intelligent answers to said questions, however I believe that there are some do’s and don’ts that anyone who uses mechanical mods should follow.

Don’t: I don’t buy clone mods and or RDA’s. I will not debate the subject with people who choose to buy clones but will say that I believe that you get what you pay for and if you are going to use a device that can be a potential pipe bomb, buying cheap knock off clones is not a very smart idea.

Do: Buy good quality batteries. There are many cheaply made batteries sold out of China that could potentially explode on you. I prefer to buy Sony batteries whenever I can get my hands on them. I also suggest buying enough batteries so that you always have fresh ones ready to use. It is not smart to run a battery in to the ground because you are needing to vape and don’t have a charged one ready to switch out.

Don’t: Build RDA’s for cloud chasing (creating big clouds of vapor). I never build subohm coils for the purpose of creating big clouds of vapor. Subohming at different resistances provides a different taste to your juice. I normally try not to go below .16 because anything lower than that and I am burning off all the flavor of my juices in favor of creating a bigger vapor cloud.

Do: Clean the contacts of your devices regularly. The last thing you want going on inside of your tube is sparks created by dirty contacts. I clean my contacts of my mechanical mods on a weekly basis. When I change batteries I inspect both the upper and lower contacts to make sure they are clean and that they are not damaged in any way. Keeping your contacts clean prolong their lifespan and reduce voltage drops within your device. Drops in voltage change the way your device hits, thus the flavor of your juice.

Don’t: Put your mechanical mod in your pockets. It is real tempting to want to carry you mechanical mod in your pocket. This is a very fast way to cause you device to fire without your knowledge. I made this mistake once and did not notice it until my device got hot enough to burn my leg. I have never made that mistake again.

Though the do’s and don’ts I have mentioned are just a few of things I practice to make subohming as safe as I can make it, there are many other do’s and don’ts a person who subohms should take in to consideration. My best advice to anyone who uses or is considering using a mechanical mod is to learn from someone who is sober and not reckless.

I was taught by a guy who has been doing it for years. I learned quite a bit from him before I ever started regularly using mechanical mods and building my own coils. I highly suggest that if you are considering buying and using a mechanical mod, that you only do so after spending some time to learn how to use it safe.

ScottChensoda

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 17, 2013
Lat:51.53889/Long:0.14743
  • Deleted by DreamWithin
  • Reason: offensive text in posted image

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
I purchased my first mechanical mod, a Chi Megan with a Tugboat dripper, about four weeks after I first started vaping. I have been vaping now for about four months and I own over 200 authentic mechanical mods and about 250 authentic drippers. About two weeks ago, I started building my own coils. Have I gone off the deep end? Am I fooling around with potential pipe bombs?

All I need to get the picture :facepalm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread