Is it Steam Engine, or Me....

Status
Not open for further replies.

GccTxs67

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2015
Virginia
Just venturing out into the wide world of different wire types and I am having an issue with the numbers provided by Steam Engine not matching my build....

For example, wanted to try a Nichrome build...Put the numbers in Steam Engine and it wasn't even close....

So it tells me....

Single Coil, NiCH 80, 24 AWG, 8 Wraps on 3 MM ID is .58....Built it...came out to .24

WTH did I do wrong?

Uncletattoowhat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 21, 2014
Poquoson, VA
Could be multiple things. A few things I can think of:

1. Your wire isn't actually Nichrome80. With that resistance matching those specs, it sounds like Titanium Gr1.
2. You're not tightening the posts enough when installing.
3. The resistance is at rest before firing and tweaking the coil getting out any hotspots.
4. There's a piece of wire somewhere on the deck creating a short.
5. Depending on the device you're using to read the resistance, there could be a 510 problem.

GccTxs67

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2015
Virginia
Could be multiple things. A few things I can think of:

1. Your wire isn't actually Nichrome80. With that resistance matching those specs, it sounds like Titanium Gr1.
Not titanium, It's UD's Nichrome 80, Unless UD spooled it incorrectly, Even still, it's not Titanium
2. You're not tightening the posts enough when installing.
All the way down
3. The resistance is at rest before firing and tweaking the coil getting out any hotspots.
Tweaked coil, no hot spots, Coil burns bright and true
4. There's a piece of wire somewhere on the deck creating a short.
Double and Triple checked, nothing that the human eye could see.
5. Depending on the device you're using to read the resistance, there could be a 510 problem.
Coil Master 521 Tab, reads the same on the device (tried 2 devices, same reading) SX Mini ML and ipv D2

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Steam Engine says that Nichrome80 in 24ga should measure 5.31 ohms per meter. You might want to cut a 1 meter length and measure it just for grins. You can still use that piece to make coils afterward.

Steam Engine has always been close for me. Leg length variances would affect the outcome only minimally.

Last edited:

Richu75

ECF Veteran
Mar 7, 2015
just to confirm, you selected single coil in Steam engine and only built ONE coil right? its odd that the measured resistance is exactly half of what it says. sounds like you selected single, and built duals.

In what universe is .24 half of .58?

Anyway, I think there is something wrong with your build.
Steamengine and Microcoil both list resistance in the 0.5~0.6 Ohm range with that type of coil.

greasegizzard

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2015
Arkansas
The only time I had steam-engine be that far off is on my Indestructible RDA. Sometimes when tightening the grubs on the positive post, the whole post will spin just a little. I have to straigten it back up and tighten the 510 from below. But you've already checked that, so I would try another build just like it and see what it comes out to. Or measure the resistance of the wire.

GccTxs67

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2015
Virginia
Maybe take come pictures of the build or try to wrap another coil with the same wire as the first one?

I meant to do that last night but I got home late. I intend on going through the whole process again and I will document it all in pictures.

GccTxs67

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2015
Virginia
So never mind I guess.....

Recreated the whole process step by step and this time it came out perfect, well it came out .62, I contribute that to leg length being off I guess....

Good Vape at 45 watts in the Avocado...

Thanks for the tip everyone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread