Is It Time for A Better E-Cig?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulCincy

ECF Veteran
Feb 12, 2010
Cincinnati OH
Hello Everyone,
Yes, I am pretty new to this, and after reading hundreds of posts on this site and others....(but, mostly here)...
I was just wondering, don't you think that after 5 years of R&R in this high tech environment, that we can find an atty that will last one month without any drop-off in taste or vapor, or a battery that lasts at least
one day and still keep going stronge?
I am starting to believe that the people and powers in charge don't want an "Easy E-Cig" that everyone can just buy and use, without the maintanence involved....I am not talking about having a cart that lasts all day...I am trying to understand how a battery and atty can not be made
to reflect longer life....That is all...Not a biggie,,,,but when one of the companies due figures it out...Please Know, that company will be the leader in E-Cigs...Just trying to promote better products...Have a Great Day,,,and Keep vaping.....
Enjoy, PaulCincy... (only 6 weeks, but care)

PaulCincy

ECF Veteran
Feb 12, 2010
Cincinnati OH
Hello Everyone, I orginally posted this under General Ejuice topics...Sorry about that....
But, having only been at this for 6 weeks, I am afraid that I will offend
people when I have a few concerns....
But, again, here I goes anyhow....
Main concerns is the attys and batteries....It seems that after 5 years of R&R, we would have by now an atty that doesn't go south after a few weeks or even better a battery that would last at least one day, without having to be charged..
I wonder, if sometimes, the delay in improvements has to do with the research costs involved for longer attys and batteries or if the
powers "to be" make more money just making us pay more often to replunish our supplies.....Again, just wondering....Food for Thought, I hope...
Still vaping - 6 whole weeks without one analog....For me --- Fantastic....Enjoy, PaulCincy....

candre23

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2010
NJ
chipandre.com
You could make an atty that would last a lifetime, but it would cost a fortune. With a few handmade exceptions, all attys are made in China, and there just isn't a market for super-reliable, super-expensive parts there. Probably the best you can do is get a SLB 510 atty, which some claim lasts six months to a year. Of course, they run much cooler so you don't get the same performance as a hotter 510.

As for batteries, that's just the nature of the beast. All rechargeable battery formulations wear out over time. If you can come up with an electrical storage device with the energy density of Li-ion that doesn't wear down, you'll be a billionaire by next week. :D

In the grand scheme of things, a new atty every couple weeks and a new battery every couple months isn't that big a deal. All this stuff is priced cheap enough that it is justifiably disposable. Even if you're burning through parts at twice the usual rate, it's still cheaper than smoking.

MastiffMike

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2009
Dogville Estate
There ARE batteries that last longer! It's just that they require a larger e-cig to hold them! There's also cartomizers which are a realitively newer development. And with all the HV and Low Resistance attys there's improvements there too. Do to the stresses placed on the atty, I think we're a ways away from "long life" ones. I personally don't mind replacing as long as I get a few weeks out of them and the prices are reasonable. Just today I started trying some different cartos and they also could be a long term solution as the prices are great and they're semi disposable.

I agree that more manufacturer SHOULD be involved in advancing the e-cig but there have been some pretty nice improvements. IMO as the number of vapers grows and there's more potential profit, more manufacturers will get involved.

Heck, there's some phenominal stuff being done by modders and that's a good way to see the future of PVs.

Sun Vaporer

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2009
Florida
Hello Everyone, I orginally posted this under General Ejuice topics...Sorry about that....
But, having only been at this for 6 weeks, I am afraid that I will offend
people when I have a few concerns....
But, again, here I goes anyhow....
Main concerns is the attys and batteries....It seems that after 5 years of R&R, we would have by now an atty that doesn't go south after a few weeks or even better a battery that would last at least one day, without having to be charged..
I wonder, if sometimes, the delay in improvements has to do with the research costs involved for longer attys and batteries or if the
powers "to be" make more money just making us pay more often to replunish our supplies.....Again, just wondering....Food for Thought, I hope...
Still vaping - 6 whole weeks without one analog....For me --- Fantastic....Enjoy, PaulCincy....

Paul--could commercial e-cigs be improved--probably. But the battery life is a function, in part of size. Homemade type mods can support batteries that last all day.

Even thought the e-cigs have been around for several years, their popularity is just taking off now, and their future is uncertain as the FDA tries to ban them. At a minimum they will be regulated.

Although not seen on this Forum, the trend is moving toward the disposable e-cigs to be sold in stores with a specific life span and nicotine content.

So improving on a product that may be banned or will ultimately be regulated really does not make much sense to the manufactures.

Sun

rosesense

14 years and counting
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jan 1, 2010
    TN
    Think of the batts like any other device, you have to recharge cell phones, etc. For the price I think the stuff lasts fairly well. If you want longer life between charges, you might want to try one of the mods. Ikenvape has one for 25.00, batteries for it are around 4.00 each. I only have to charge mine once per day, usually. I think I have just accepted the fiddling around and sometimes faulty or short life of some items because it got me off analogs and is cheaper than cigs. Well, it would be if I would stop buying all this stuff:)

I do hear what you are saying but for now, it is what it is.

candre23

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 12, 2010
    NJ
    chipandre.com
    SLB is a company that makes 510 clone attys. They also make the DSE series of PVs. The SLB atty has a higher resistance, so it runs a bit cooler and lasts longer than the Joye original. The SLBs are recognizable by the metal "washer" around the bridge. Some people prefer them to the Joye, others don't.

dscn6576x.jpg

Last edited:

PaulCincy

ECF Veteran
    Feb 12, 2010
    Cincinnati OH
    Yes, I agree, that for what we have,,,,it isn't bad..and also yes, with the FDA, the Chinese will not likely improve the basic product...
    But, of course it elevates to one more question...Isn't there other people besides the Chinese that produce and market the Batteries and Attys...???
    Just wishfull thinking and hoping that with a better "all-around" E-Cig with less "work" involved, that more people will be inclined to use E-Cigs over analogs...and for me, more people Vaping, verses Smoking,,,,is better for everyone, including people that "smoke" inside a closed environment with other people around.
    Thanks again...PaulCincy...

P.S. We really need to get the information out and let the general pop....decide...
    Again, Just my opinion...

bobtow

ECF Veteran
    Dec 11, 2009
    Wallaceburg ON. Canada
    I heard of an ecig called the Sedansa made in Sweden I think . The demo guaruanteed the batteries last for about eighteen hours. The atomizer also was said to be longer lasting. Saw the video on Youtube about a month ago, I couldn't find it yesterday when I tried to get it. They cost about two hundred for the kit.http://www.sedansa.be/shop/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=37&cat=SEDANSA%99%A0OMNI

Last edited:

brandon555

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 30, 2010
    Wisconsin
    That is why I got myself a V2 and Protege... My standard KR808 batts are already getting weak. Brand new and fully charged they put out 4.2 volts but after about a month of moderate usage they drop down to about 3.6-3.8ish.

I'd rather buy a couple RCR123s here and there.

Atomizers are my only gripe right now. They're just like light bulbs. Eventually they get dim and finally burn out. At 7 or 8 bucks a pop [on the cheap end] its a real PITA forking out serious coin for a few 901s or 510s.

PaulCincy

ECF Veteran
    Feb 12, 2010
    Cincinnati OH
    brandon, that is what what I am trying to say...Seven - Nine dollars, plus S&H charges for one atty, that you hope works... is way to much for regular folks to pay......Let's face it, as long as it costs between 120 - 250 dollars (American) to get all the extras with what-ever kit they get, plus juice, extra cart, extra batteries, extra attys, extra...what-ever,,,,most people will be inclined to only pay the 5-7 dollars per pack, Day in and day out.....No incentive...that is except better health and less coughing,,,and of course your cloths don't smell...Again, what real push do we do to try and promote E-Cigs....?
    Later, PaulCincy...

Sun Vaporer

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 2, 2009
    Florida
    brandon, that is what what I am trying to say...Seven - Nine dollars, plus S&H charges for one atty, that you hope works... is way to much for regular folks to pay......Let's face it, as long as it costs between 120 - 250 dollars (American) to get all the extras with what-ever kit they get, plus juice, extra cart, extra batteries, extra attys, extra...what-ever,,,,most people will be inclined to only pay the 5-7 dollars per pack, Day in and day out.....No incentive...that is except better health and less coughing,,,and of course your cloths don't smell...Again, what real push do we do to try and promote E-Cigs....?
    Later, PaulCincy...

Paul,

After the inital investment, vaping costs me on average about 30 dollars a month or a dollar a day. You just have to have enough incentive to do your homework and purchase properly.

Sun

Tugger

ECF Veteran
    Apr 17, 2009
    The money is pretty trivial once you find a solution that works for you. That starting period is a ..... though. I spent probably $300 bucks in three months. Now I have a $100 mod, $10 worth of batteries every 2-3 months, $50 worth of juice every two months, and $10 worth of cartomizers a month. That's about $40 a month, a bargain by analog standards.
    I think the dud e-cigs are starting to be phased out. njoy and smoking everywhere will probably steal the ego/tornado design soon. The price of entry has dropped 50% in the year and a half since I started. The tesla seems to be the next step. I think a year from now, newbies will be able to get an ecig that lasts all day without refilling juice or batteries for $100, a far cry from when I started. We're just going through the growing pains of a new industry right now. I wish things were farther along too, but they're not, and with only a few tens of thousands of us demanding that things improve, they'll improve slowly. But if you compare the landscape six months ago to where it is now, it's a pretty amazing amount of progress.

candre23

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 12, 2010
    NJ
    chipandre.com
    Most people here used to spend $6-$20 per day on cigarettes. Compared to that, vaping is cheap. Yes, it's a bit of a hassle because you have to order all your supplies online, and if you don't have enough backups, you could be SOL until replacements arrive.

But that might not always be the case. If politicians can manage to pull their heads out of their butts and realize that this is an important technology that allows people to lead healthier lifestyles, then e-cigs just might catch on. If that happens, you'll be able to pick up all the supplies you need at 7-11s and grocery stores, just like you used to pick up a couple packs of smokes every day. The hassle-factor of cigarettes is pretty low only because cigarettes and lighters are available everywhere. If (hopefully when) e-cigs get to that point, you won't mind picking up a new atty every few weeks or a bottle of juice every month.

PaulCincy

ECF Veteran
    Feb 12, 2010
    Cincinnati OH
    Yes, that would be great...being able to go to a local store and just buy what you need, and the competition between dealers would also keep the price down....Can't wait to see the newspapers with sale ads for E-Cigs products...Even coupons in the newspapers would be a great promotional step forward...Maybe in a year or two....I hope...Thanks Everyone, have a great day....PaulCincy....

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread