Is it worth becoming a mech wizard for skwonkers

Status
Not open for further replies.

EIHYPI

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 15, 2017
I have two rda's that I rotate exclusively that have the ability for a skwonker pin and that is the authentic Velocity V2 and the Goon 1.5. I also have the Dead Rabbit on my list. Being that I drip constantly I think that a skwonker is my best choice for my next mod. Money is an issue and the skwonker mechs seem easier to get my hands on than the really expensive regulated dna skwonkers.

I do learn fast when I apply myself to something. I have the ability to teach myself most of the necessary knowledge I need to to vape a mech. I don't care how long it takes but I I definitely would be patient with this and not make a purchase until my knowledge of ohms law and battery safety is coming outa my ears.

I'm not sure if it's worth it though. Maybe I should spend the extra money when I can get it and buy a dna skwonker. Currently my knowledge and understanding of ohms law and battery safety isn't sufficient for a mech but like I said I do learn fast. I am willing to learn. What would be the best way way to go?

Reactions: stols001

EIHYPI

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 15, 2017
I was deceived by looking at the wrong places on the internet that regulated skwonkers are hard to get and are too expensive. I was wrong with that. I was looking at this
http://www.geekayvapes.com/squonk-mod/
that made me think that. I guess there's no need to stress myself out to turn to mechs for skwonkers.

Walee

ECF Veteran
Oct 6, 2017
I was deceived by looking at the wrong places on the internet that regulated skwonkers are hard to get and are too expensive. I was wrong with that. I was looking at this
http://www.geekayvapes.com/squonk-mod/
that made me think that. I guess there's no need to stress myself out to turn to mechs for skwonkers.
Nothing wrong with mechs either. They have their advantages. But there are also other options. One little tidbit that is pretty cool about the Wraith is that it uses a pretty standard 10ml bottle. With a little bit of tubing and a drop or two of superglue you can have as many squonk bottles as you like. It will even work in TC mode but the temp setting is off a tad. I'd say it's about 30°F or so low.

puffon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Sep 18, 2014
    Florida
    Know your battery
    Learn basics of Steam Engine
    Build to not exceed CDR and allow about 40% amp head room to account for aging battery CDR drop
    Check for shorts on an ohm meter, with cap and drip tip in place
    Install RDA on mod...vape
    You could start with a REO as it has a collapsible spring that breaks the circuit, in case of a short
    I use both regulated and mech. Both have their advantages/disadvantages
    Prefer a mech due to smaller size.

EIHYPI

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 15, 2017
    Nothing wrong with mechs either. They have their advantages. But there are also other options. One little tidbit that is pretty cool about the Wraith is that it uses a pretty standard 10ml bottle. With a little bit of tubing and a drop or two of superglue you can have as many squonk bottles as you like. It will even work in TC mode but the temp setting is off a tad. I'd say it's about 30°F or so low.
    I looked at the specs for the Wraith and it says it has a 5ml bottle.

Last edited:
    Reactions: stols001

Walee

ECF Veteran
    Oct 6, 2017
    I think I'm gonna a

I looked at the specs for the Wraith and it says it has a 5ml bottle.
    Trust me, I'm using standard 10ml bottles in it. Now maybe the tube takes up a little space, I haven't measured it with a syringe. You do have to leave some space at the top of the bottle before dropping the tube in.

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    Maybe start with a regulated and then move to a mech while researching? That way you'd have two squonkers and get to experience both? I have every intention of using a mech mod....someday. It is nice that more squonkers are coming on the market, and regulated OR mech may wind up being your "perfect squonk." I think there are probably advantages to starting with a regulated, but certainly there is no reason to think you can't learn the safety measures that are needed... It's not difficult, it just requires a bit of research and I guarantee that if you pose this question on the mech mod board, you will get TONS of help. That's my plan once I decide to start with a mech.... read and ask all the questions (dumb or otherwise) that I have. :)

I'd enjoy being a Witch of Mechanical Mods, LOL. I would not have said that a while ago, though. As my skills expand, my comfort level increases, and it totally sounds to me like you could handle a mechanical squonker if you wanted, requirement number one, understanding that you'd need to learn the safety measures, LOL, you'd be surprised at the number of people who don't do that, even.

Anna

Ben85

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 16, 2014
    Kent, UK
    The principles of making a mech mod safe are simple. I think people over complicate this as they fear what the result could be, but fail to realise that keeping themselves safe it actually very easy.

Read @Baditude’s blog - it has everything you need to know about mechanical safety. Then refer to @Mooch’s blog to find a battery suitable for the build you want.

Personally, all I ever use is a mechanical mod and since I have discovered the benefits of squonking, mech squonkers have become my most recent way to vape.

• Agree
    Reactions: tj99959

Walee

ECF Veteran
    Oct 6, 2017
    Maybe start with a regulated and then move to a mech while researching? That way you'd have two squonkers and get to experience both? I have every intention of using a mech mod....someday. It is nice that more squonkers are coming on the market, and regulated OR mech may wind up being your "perfect squonk." I think there are probably advantages to starting with a regulated, but certainly there is no reason to think you can't learn the safety measures that are needed... It's not difficult, it just requires a bit of research and I guarantee that if you pose this question on the mech mod board, you will get TONS of help. That's my plan once I decide to start with a mech.... read and ask all the questions (dumb or otherwise) that I have. :)

I'd enjoy being a Witch of Mechanical Mods, LOL. I would not have said that a while ago, though. As my skills expand, my comfort level increases, and it totally sounds to me like you could handle a mechanical squonker if you wanted, requirement number one, understanding that you'd need to learn the safety measures, LOL, you'd be surprised at the number of people who don't do that, even.

Anna

Ya really auta give it a go. You obviously have the smarts. It helps a lot if you like to tinker with things. I'm new to the whole process but sometimes "new" doesn't overlook the obvious. Get a can of good contact cleaner with no lubricant along with your first mod. Every threading, every contact point, can offer resistance. I have one "telescope" Smok Megneto that is a PITA because of the threads in the middle of the tube for the telescope movement. Too course of threads and too few. I can feel it start heating up now and then. Time to clean it up. Beyond that, I've seen everything I've learned covered a kabillion times here. I'm enjoying the heck out of the things. Not expensive either. Ok, can be, but no need per form, fit, and function. My favorite right now is a tie between a Hcigar Nemesis and a Geek Vape Black Ring Plus. Great starters as they both come with 510 connectors although the Geek Vape also includes a hybrid. Two cents from the newbe mech user, lol.

440BB

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 19, 2011
    The Motor City
    I believe the general term is bottom feeder. One thing about the bottom feeder fans - they are a passionate bunch!
    maxresdefault.jpg

MyMagicMist

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 28, 2014
    I think you have to be born a Wizard and only after you inherit the hat.

Wait, there is a hat too? My buddy Spanky only mentioned the cookies, as did my buddy Train. No one mentioned a hat as well.

I'm using CopperVape mods. They are sturdy and easy enough to fix with cheap repair kits. Don't need lots of bells & whistles.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread