Is nicotine bad for you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    Everyone has nicotine in their system???

Absolutely!
    When testing for nicotine it's called the "background level".
    Nicotine was in that first bottle of Gerbers your mommy fed you. There was even nicotine in your mothers milk.
    The brain would not develop properly without nicotine. Nicotine stimulates the liberation of neurotransmitters.

Last edited:

bones1274

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 28, 2010
    florida
    Everyone has nicotine in their system???
    Any vegetable from the Nightshade family produces nicotine naturally. Potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, etc. It is also a very effective form of pest control so I imagine most fruits/veggies have a little on them.

rurwin

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 6, 2014
    Leicester, UK
    I'm not a doctor so all I can prescribe is that you take this with a pinch of salt...

Most of the negative health effects of smoking comes from the effects of cigarettes on the arteries, lungs, heart muscle and so forth. The evidence that we have so far indicates that vaping does not cause any such damage. So while nicotine does cause elevated blood pressure for a limited time, (the half-life of nicotine in the body is two hours,) it is a minor factor in overall health risk.

Which means that if you already have a dangerously elevated blood pressure and/or are at risk of a heart attack etc, then you should be careful about vaping. But in an otherwise healthy individual the additional risk appears to be somewhere between minimal and non-existent.

Again, I am not a doctor. If you are concerned, then you should seek the opinion of a medical professional. .

I am going to take this article with a grain of salt and see what they say next week, and then the week after. Just like the news of having a glass of wine is good for you. Then it was bad for you. Then good for you. then bad for you. It has flip flopped so many times over the last year that I forget which one it is now.

It depends on what part of which study they're reading. The red wine thing... The silica in red wine (white wine, beer, whiskey, vodka, rum, etc.) does have antioxidant properties, and that's a good thing, but it's still in liquid suspension with alcohol, which is not so good for you. How does that balance out? I have no idea, and neither does the news reader. The story gets dropped on their desk with whatever spin the reporter put on int, based on whatever spin their source put on it, based on whatever spin the study authors put on it, based on the one data point they were chasing when they did the study, while ignoring "irrelevant" data.
    Enjoy your glass of wine, vape your tasty juice, and be glad you're not smoking, which is clearly worse, and that you have the self control to hold it to one glass of wine. If it takes a day or two of your life, will you know in the end which day you lost to the wine, which to the vape, and which to the year you spent working the night shift when you were 23, and just starting out? Will you know it from the day you lost because you lived in a big city, filled with exhaust fumes, or on a farm, breathing methane from cow farts? Will it matter to you? It won't matter to me, when my time comes.

Robert Cromwell

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 16, 2015
    elsewhere
    Reactions: bones1274

caramel

Vaping Master
    Dec 23, 2014
    A slice of cake is harmless for most, but for a diabetic it could be enough to send them into a dangerous situation...because they have health conditions to take into account.

I can definitely understand the concept of something being able to aggravate a medical condition. What I don't understand is the concept of banning cake in general.

Reactions: KattMamma

skoony

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 31, 2013
    saint paul,mn,usa
    I'm not a doctor so all I can prescribe is that you take this with a pinch of salt...

Most of the negative health effects of smoking comes from the effects of cigarettes on the arteries, lungs, heart muscle and so forth. The evidence that we have so far indicates that vaping does not cause any such damage. So while nicotine does cause elevated blood pressure for a limited time, (the half-life of nicotine in the body is two hours,) it is a minor factor in overall health risk.

Which means that if you already have a dangerously elevated blood pressure and/or are at risk of a heart attack etc, then you should be careful about vaping. But in an otherwise healthy individual the additional risk appears to be somewhere between minimal and non-existent.

Again, I am not a doctor. If you are concerned, then you should seek the opinion of a medical professional. .
    even if one did have high blood pressure or other related cardiovascular disease its the smoke doing
    most of the damage. switching to vaping will reduce your risks. remember,most of these studies
    indicating that nicotine is a contributing factor are in conjunction with its use in cigarettes.
    i am not suggesting one whom never smoked take up vaping but,if your a smoker and having
    health related issues brought on by smoking switch to vaping. do not let the nicotine get in
    your way. the harm it 'may' cause is minuscule compared to cigarette smoke.
    :2c:
    mike
    P.S. no i a not a doctor.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    There is no substance on earth that is not a poison. It's all about the quantity that causes a substance to become toxic. There are many substances that it would be impossible to reach the toxic level, just like there are other substances that the toxic level is easy to reach.

I wish more people Understood this.

These "Debates" always seem to take on a Good vs Bad with little consideration of Dosage.

twgbonehead

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 28, 2011
    MA, USA
    I can definitely understand the concept of something being able to aggravate a medical condition. What I don't understand is the concept of banning cake in general.

The concept of eating cake was not particularly health-positive for Marie Antoinette....

And everybody tests positive for nicotine (although that's not really what they test for - they test for continine, but still, everybody tests positive).

Niacin (a necessary vitamin) is a pseudonym for "nicotinic acid". Similar in structure to nicotine (and easily derived from nicotine). However, with organics, sometimes small differences in chemical structure create big differences in function.

Personally, I find that the benefits to me of nicotine greatly outweigh the health risks. And, for me, eating cake is more hazardous than nicotine (and quite possibly worse than smoking cigarettes).

Reactions: Joe Gordon

caramel

Vaping Master
    Dec 23, 2014
    There is no substance on earth that is not a poison. It's all about the quantity that causes a substance to become toxic. There are many substances that it would be impossible to reach the toxic level, just like there are other substances that the toxic level is easy to reach.

You just reminded me of the antz concept that tobacco smoke has no tolerance threshold, i.e. is harmful in any quantities. Which, from a logical pov, includes 0.

Unless we decide to explore matter at discrete levels and get into quantum physics. Where it only gets worse, as the "smoke" can now be both harmful and benign at the same time. Until Schrodinger's cat inhales and decides the issue once for all.

bones1274

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 28, 2010
    florida
    Enjoy your glass of wine, vape your tasty juice, and be glad you're not smoking, which is clearly worse, and that you have the self control to hold it to one glass of wine. If it takes a day or two of your life, will you know in the end which day you lost to the wine, which to the vape, and which to the year you spent working the night shift when you were 23, and just starting out? Will you know it from the day you lost because you lived in a big city, filled with exhaust fumes, or on a farm, breathing methane from cow farts? Will it matter to you? It won't matter to me, when my time comes.

The only bad habit I've ever had was smoking. I am in remission right now (not from smoking) and am thinking of taking up a few bad habits just for sh*ts and giggles. Every day forward is a bonus so loosing a few days to a glass of wine or cow farts doesn't worry me the least bit. :thumb:

twgbonehead

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 28, 2011
    MA, USA
    The only bad habit I've ever had was smoking. I am in remission right now (not from smoking) and am thinking of taking up a few bad habits just for sh*ts and giggles. Every day forward is a bonus so loosing a few days to a glass of wine or cow farts doesn't worry me the least bit. :thumb:

I highly recommend the wine over the cow farts. And congratulations on your remission! Best wishes for your future!!!

Reactions: bones1274

caramel

Vaping Master
    Dec 23, 2014

Lol if I were to list all my bad habits I'd get banned for server overloading and forum disruption.

GinnyTx

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 2, 2014
    Pearland, TX
    and probably banned from the site *lol* me too Caramel.

our bodies have nicotinic receptors..it's in our foods..etc. (short version here) supplemental causes a big long chemical reaction of goodness...those with illnesses that might be affected adversely by that..should do some reading.
    (it's way too long and complicated for this format)

my brother in law has peripheral artery disease..has had about 8 surgeries..and got off the smokes vaping but had to cease the nicotine..so he just quit vaping ..he was at 0mg "so why bother" *lol* lucky dog..I need something to do with my hands ...but he literally was going to lose a leg if he didn't..nicotine affected him adversely ...so google up :)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread