Status
Not open for further replies.

rurwin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 6, 2014
Leicester, UK
There is no substance on earth that is not a poison. It's all about the quantity that causes a substance to become toxic. There are many substances that it would be impossible to reach the toxic level, just like there are other substances that the toxic level is easy to reach.

My favourite is chocolate, which is surprisingly low. Everyone knows that chocolate kills dogs in quite small quantities.

But the LD50 dose for humans is only about 7kg (15lb) of good quality chocolate. Less than that for very dark chocolate but several times that if it's CDM or Hersheys.

I know several people who would read that and think of Scotsmen drowning in whiskey vats. (A happy death, and free.)

Reactions: skoony
and probably banned from the site *lol* me too Caramel.

our bodies have nicotinic receptors..it's in our foods..etc. (short version here) supplemental causes a big long chemical reaction of goodness...those with illnesses that might be affected adversely by that..should do some reading.
(it's way too long and complicated for this format)

my brother in law has peripheral artery disease..has had about 8 surgeries..and got off the smokes vaping but had to cease the nicotine..so he just quit vaping ..he was at 0mg "so why bother" *lol* lucky dog..I need something to do with my hands ...but he literally was going to lose a leg if he didn't..nicotine affected him adversely ...so google up :)

See, this makes the case for research specific to your situation. Your brother in law had a specific condition, with specific indications against nicotine. As a basis for him avoiding it, rock solid, best choice he could make. From where I stand, though, I'm not seeing a case for making a blanket case against nicotine.

Here is another example: My father had a heart attack a few years ago, right around the same time I was in the hospital for pneumonia (a few months in between, and we both made it out okay). His doctors, based on evidence, and scientific research told my father to cut sodium out of his diet as much as possible, as is often the case with heart attack survivors. My doctors, in the course of diagnosing and treating my pneumonia discovered that I have a sodium deficiency, and, within reason, can and should consume as much as I crave (a balance I have to watch with some care, having too much sodium in my system is quite unpleasant, too little is crippling...). Two closely related family members, with two unrelated conditions have to treat the same common substance in completely opposite ways. So, to come back to the OPs question:

Is nicotine dangerous? Maybe, it really depends on who you are, and what's going on with you.

Reactions: caramel

Alien Traveler

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2014
United States
our bodies have nicotinic receptors..

It's a bit misleading. The name of receptors is rather historical than functional. The receptors were designed for other chemical stimuli, nicotine is just piggybacking. The same true for {other stuff}, which uses receptors in a different way than they were designed for.

Reactions: skoony

GinnyTx

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2014
Pearland, TX
true..it's not to say that just nicotine hits those receptors (I think ACH right?) but yeah we're talking heavy duty physiology stuff here..just know that it's in our food..but agreed we're taking way more than would be in food..because we like the central nervous system affects and all those lovely feel good neurotransmitters that are released by it's use. Beats what used to bein cola the way I look at it *lol*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread