New bad...PG and VG... results in rats...comments?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
One of the things I see in this study is:

The device consists of an automatic battery, which provides 5 volts with a 1300-mAh capacity, and a cartomizer with a 2.5-ohm vertical heating coil and a 6-mL solvent capacity.

Anyone wanna take a guess as to the coil temperature of a 2.5 ohm "cartomizer" run at 5 volts and what how much thermal decomposition of PG and VG there was under those conditions?

@mikepetro to the white courtesy telephone please. :)

markfm

Aussie Pup Wrangler
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
Beautiful Baldwinsville (CNY)

The device consists of an automatic battery, which provides 5 volts with a 1300-mAh capacity, and a cartomizer with a 2.5-ohm vertical heating coil and a 6-mL solvent capacity.

Anyone wanna take a guess as to the coil temperature of a 2.5 ohm "cartomizer" run at 5 volts and what how much thermal decomposition of PG and VG there was under those conditions?

V-squared-over-r gives 10w, well within the norms of what we were vaping back in 2010/2011. A 2.5 ohm carto on a buzz pro or provari. Of course they could always skew it by not providing a good liquid feed (too small a hole in the carto for the viscosity of the liquid)

(Then again, my lungs are good and I've been vaping all that time, like you - maybe we're just supermen [emoji3])

Reactions: bnrkwest

cvco

Nov 18, 2014
Corona, CA
I was in Kalamata last year,you are the kind driver that waited for me to pass the road?
You were supposed to say, Oh! I was that mule! I remember that! :) I didnt wait for the mule to pass, I got out and took photos with him. He was grazing on the road and looked very healthy and well cared for. It was above Kalamata, that area were Germans have bought land and built nice homes. Whats wrong with me that I cant remember the name of the area. Fantastic views of the bay and city.

Reactions: greek mule

englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana

This was a RAT study? Guess I should read it but it's late.

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
Newport News, Virginia, United States
The closest thing I measured was a iClear16 at 2.1 ohms, this 2.5 ohm coil would have burned even hotter. I estimated in the neighborhood of 550F+. Read my blogs for test methods and detailed data. I tested actual attys under actual puffing conditions.

Actual temperatures inside a iClear16 while vaping | E-Cigarette Forum

Aldehyde generation is a function of by products created relative to the amount of heat they exposed to.
The hotter the atty the more bad stuff you get.

vaalidation-puffgraph.jpg

Formaldehyde Levels in a real atty under real conditions. | E-Cigarette Forum

cvco

Nov 18, 2014
Corona, CA
Maybe its good that I posted the article, it gives a chance to see the progress of people and effects, if any.

Maybe ECF can create a poll for all members about their health and time vaping and start sending results to news outlets around the country. Hammer them with something good. Hit them again and again. Look at Massachusetts today. Whats happening to counter it and public perception? Last thing we want is for vaping to go underground and black market.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
Maybe its good that I posted the article, it gives a chance to see the progress of people and effects, if any.

Maybe ECF can create a poll for all members about their health and time vaping and start sending results to news outlets around the country. Hammer them with something good. Hit them again and again. Look at Massachusetts today. Whats happening to counter it and public perception? Last thing we want is for vaping to go underground and black market.
Well 8 years here . always a mtl rebuildable user in the 60vg range and its incredible how much I get sick less than when I was a smoker.....but in all those years only average about 2 to 3mls per day, so cannot speak for those who are vaping 10 to 20xs the amount juice....

Reactions: mikepetro

Mark Spivey

ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2015
Knoxville, TN
Well, stop me if I do that because thats not the intention at all. Still, we dont know the long term effects and also, I certainly would try a safer base if one were created--why not?

A suspect problem with this article is the RATS. If VG/PG is seen to screw up the immune system of a rat, why isnt the same test being done on any active vapers? Thats very suspect, it says to me that they fear testing humans wouldnt give the same results to support the narrative.

Even if the base was water they would be attacking it!

Ultag

Sep 24, 2019
Please take a look at the article and it appears the problem is the same as those recently dying from vaping THC--just because a product can be eaten it doesnt mean it can be vaped. The effects of a food in the stomach is not the same as the effects in the lungs which have no digestive features.

To be honest, I never understood how VG, for example, could be inhaled. Eaten in foods, yes, but inhaled? Why wouldnt a person inhale a cheeseburger that, lets say, had first been dried and ground into dust? Its doubtful one would.

Previously, the research into ejuice said it could be 15 years before any ill effects were known so we really dont know what effects vaping is having. I have no ill effects from any vaping but long term, who knows?

PG, i think the article said, can be used in an I-V. So, we have eating, inhaling and I-V as nicotine delivery methods and the ingredients to do that cannot necessarily be mixed and matched to our discretion.

Maybe its time to re-think what can be inhaled safely and create a new kind of base---if this research is deemed to be true. Again, who knows?

Why is it just happening in the US. If VG/PG is a problem it would be happening worldwide.

• Agree
Reactions: Rossum
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread