Is oxidized nicotine bioactive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wetclay

ECF Veteran
Oct 4, 2010
UAE
I have an old stash of eliquid stored in a closet at room temp., 5-7 years that still vape well!! Except for slight darkening (marked in high vg ones) and slightly more harshness I really didn't notice any change. I even don't notice any major change in nicotine hit.
Do we know what percentage of nicotine gets oxidized over time? and is oxidized nicotine still bioactive? i.e. does it still exert an effect on the brain and body like nicotine or does oxidation make it inactive?
I don't know if we have answers, but can't help but pose the questions after my observations above.

GOMuniEsq

Self-Proclaimed Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 25, 2012
Alberta, Canada
All oxidization means is the process of the isolated nicotine molecules binding with oxygen. The nicotine molecules don't go away, so they can still be absorbed. There was a thread recently posted by a guy who actually prefers the taste of oxidized nic—he finds it more authentic. So old nic still works, it just tastes different.

wetclay

ECF Veteran
Oct 4, 2010
UAE
All oxidization means is the process of the isolated nicotine molecules binding with oxygen. The nicotine molecules don't go away, so they can still be absorbed. There was a thread recently posted by a guy who actually prefers the taste of oxidized nic—he finds it more authentic. So old nic still works, it just tastes different.
Agreed.
But oxidation can change the properties of a chemical substance. Water is oxidized hydrogen.
Let me rephrase the question.
Does oxidized nicotine have the same effects on the body like nicotine; bind to brain receptors, satisfy nicotine cravings, raise blood pressure, raise pulse...etc.? Did a quick search, but didn't find an answer.

GOMuniEsq

Self-Proclaimed Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 25, 2012
Alberta, Canada
C10H14N2 is complex organic molecule. Hydrogen is a single element. I wouldn't foresee an O changing it so much that it loses its potency. You're right though that there's not much searchable literature on the topic. @jcoopercam you around to weigh in?

Vaping "aged" nicotine liquid... Love it!

Reactions: wetclay

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
I wouldn't worry too much--here's a good read on the subject.

A word about nicotine purity/storage

"After all, the last thing we do before we inhale our precious liquid is heat it up aggressively in a stream of air containing about 20% oxygen."

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I have an old stash of eliquid stored in a closet at room temp., 5-7 years that still vape well!! Except for slight darkening (marked in high vg ones) and slightly more harshness I really didn't notice any change. I even don't notice any major change in nicotine hit.
Do we know what percentage of nicotine gets oxidized over time? and is oxidized nicotine still bioactive? i.e. does it still exert an effect on the brain and body like nicotine or does oxidation make it inactive?
I don't know if we have answers, but can't help but pose the questions after my observations above.
What you’re talking about probably isn’t oxidation. An oxide requires oxygen. I’m not sure what the chemical breakdown of nicotine is though so it could produce oxygen I guess.

jcoopercam

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2009
C10H14N2 is complex organic molecule. Hydrogen is a single element. I wouldn't foresee an O changing it so much that it loses its potency. You're right though that there's not much searchable literature on the topic. @jcoopercam you around to weigh in?

Vaping "aged" nicotine liquid... Love it!
I don't know any more than what I've read. All I know for sure, is that the liquid had darkened a bit, and has a noticeable flavor. Remember... I'm talking about 100mg nicotine liquid here. A lower mg nicotine liquid may not be as effected.

Reactions: GOMuniEsq

wetclay

ECF Veteran
Oct 4, 2010
UAE
I wouldn't worry too much--here's a good read on the subject.

A word about nicotine purity/storage

"After all, the last thing we do before we inhale our precious liquid is heat it up aggressively in a stream of air containing about 20% oxygen."
Not worried. Just wondering. Actually I feel that eliquid practically doesn't expires. This has been my experience so far.
Thanks. informative thread. Seems like the major oxidation product is partially active.
Good to know; the buzz I feel from old juice was not a "placebo" effect.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Actually I feel that eliquid practically doesn't expires.

Actually, I wouldn't use old eliquids myself (older than 2 or 3 years, circa). There are other ingredients in eliquids (flavorings, sweeteners, etc.) that degrade and may become harmful.

However, nicotine base--just PG/VG and nic--stored properly in a freezer lasts for years. Plenty of threads here on how to properly store nicotine long-term.

newyork13

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 9, 2013
western Massachusetts
I can't comment about degradation nor harmfulness. But, some juices I forgot about were just fine after a couple of years of neglect, others had just a hint of past glory. I keep notes regarding liquids I like/love/dislike (cause I once re-ordered a couple I really disliked but forgot about), but no notes about old juices. dumb.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread