Is That Right? E-cigarettes are "the healthier alternative to smoking"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

seminolewind

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2009
Corydon Indiana
Made mostly in China and available freely to people of all ages via the Internet, e-cigarettes appear to be gaining in popularity. Some health experts worry that we don't know the consequences of inhaling lots of vaporized nicotine (a process known as "vaping"). And that e-cigs may entice young people to try real cigarettes.

I was kind of hoping that the young people who smoke cigarettes will be enticed to switch to vaping (just like if your'e a teen and having sex, I would hope that I've taught you enough to know about birth control)

And that using them might not help smokers cease smoking, but might just help see them through rough moments at restaurants and on airplanes, tiding them over until they can get back to their Camels. For those and other reasons, the American Cancer Society does not support their use.

So let's just penalize all the vapers who have quit smoking altogether thanks to e-cigarettes

The FDA doesn't yet regulate e-cigarettes (though it's given its blessing to nicotine gum and patches to help smokers quit), but has begun to look into them. A federal judge is expected to rule any day now as to whether the agency in fact has jurisdiction over the products.

In the meantime, I think a smarter New Year's resolution would be to hold off the e-cigs until we know more.
Just keep smoking cigarettes until we can prove that vaping is safer

CoffeeFairy

ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2009
San Antonio, TX USA
I checked out that article, but didn't a clearcut way to reply.
And since she asked, I was really thinking of doing so.
:)

Not necessarily "reply" but if you go down to the bottom of the page and sign in you can leave a comment. So far the majority of them seem to be pro-vaping...as if we should be surprised there :rolleyes:.

Can't hurt to get a comment out there, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread