Is the Flavoring in E-liquid safe? Are there any studies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

m00nshake

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2009
Greenville, NC
Hey everyone:

Ok, so we all know that nicotine is unhealthy and there are plenty of threads on PG and whether its healthy to vape or not, but what about the flavoring in the e-liquids?

For example, right now I am vaping TastyVapor's Butter Rum and Atomic Fireball. I love the flavor but I often wonder: Is the flavoring in this e-liquid safe to inhale into your lungs on a regular basis? Is there any scientific data or experiments that inhaling stuff like Lorann candy oils or similar all day are good or bad for you?

Any information would help, as I have scoured this particular section of these forums and found only one other thread, which got way off track and quickly.

m00nshake

m00nshake

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2009
Greenville, NC
I guess no one really knows the answer.

What really makes me wonder is if the FDA were really worried about electronic cigarettes, why wouldn't they do more tests and release the results?

Many folks talk about how nothing the Chinese make can be safe. I read one comment that 'the Chinese can't even get toothpaste right.' And they might be right, if they are talking about Chinese products that are marketed and sold in China and surrounding countries. But when China exports to the United States or other Western countries, they really have to be more careful. There's much more on the line. Think about what would happen if Americans start dropping like flies because of these electronic cigarettes that are being imported from China.

I think that the Chinese are smarter and more business-minded than that. So whereas others might be extremely wary of these products because they come from China, I do not.

It would have been nice if some other users posted their ideas and possible information. Who knows? Maybe the American-made liquids are actually worse than Chinese-made liquids. I mean, is there any empirical data that inhaling butterscotch flavor directly into your lungs day in and day out is actually good for you?

I was expecting people would answer with the 'it's got to be better than cigarettes' argument, which I agree with, but I was hoping for more detailed and informative responses.

aspen

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2009
Ca.
I had not seen this thread before posting almost the same question, sorry. I also was hopeful of a detailed response but I don't think it's on the top of anyones list. Gotta have a patent so not a trade secret thing, weird the question just gets kind of blown over. Lots of info on the other ingredients in e-liquid and Thank everyone for that effort.

m00nshake

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2009
Greenville, NC
Maybe the reason no one is replying is because no one knows. I also appreciate some of the inteligent answers in regards to the safety of some of the other chemicals in e-liquid. And although, like many of you, I believe that it is still safer than smoking cigarettes, I really think we should still be concerned with the safety of constantly inhaling flavoring as well. Thanks for all who responded... and let's all hope for the best!

Kattdaddy

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Hey everyone:

Ok, so we all know that nicotine is unhealthy and there are plenty of threads on PG and whether its healthy to vape or not, but what about the flavoring in the E-liquids?

For example, right now I am vaping TastyVapor's Butter Rum and Atomic Fireball. I love the flavor but I often wonder: Is the flavoring in this e-liquid safe to inhale into your lungs on a regular basis? Is there any scientific data or experiments that inhaling stuff like Lorann candy oils or similar all day are good or bad for you?

Any information would help, as I have scoured this particular section of these forums and found only one other thread, which got way off track and quickly.

m00nshake

Hello Moon,

It took me quite a bit of research .. over months and piecing things together to find very little about testing and lab proven results on all the components in the e-liquid. Luckily, what I have found for several of the analog manufacturers is a break-down of some of the additives ... I don't know what the average person thinks about the flavors of cigarettes - as far as tobacco taste but it is funny to find out that if you just grow a tobacco leaf, dry it and chop it up, put it in smoking papers, and light it up.. It doesn't taste anything like the produced cigarettes. My findings reflect that a good portion of the additives in cigarettes are also flavorings and I mean regular food flavoring which certainly surprised me. So, to be honest, smokers have been inhaling flavorings for years, as well as all the harsh chemical additives. I am not saying that this proves the flavorings to not create problems due to inhalation.. but I am just putting the fact out there , that If you have been smoking analogs ... You have also been inhaling food grade flavorings.

buttercrunch

ECF Veteran
Aug 15, 2009
Oregon
I'm also concerned about the flavorings and colorings, are there any chemistry experts out there? I'm absolutely no expert but I've read that even those labeled as "natural flavoring" can be up to 99% artificial/chemical...and that many contain glutamates/excitotoxins which when ingested cross the blood/brain barrier and "exite" the neurons in your brain into a frenzy until they essentially die of exhaustion. (think MSG and aspartame):nah: I've also been told most flavoring formulas are pretty much secret recipes so we may never know for sure what's in them. And maybe inhalation is more detrimental than ingesting them through food & drink..or not..? I don't know, maybe someone else has had better luck than I at researching this? I can happily vape nic-free juice, but plain vg just isn't as yummy as flavored, though I sometimes go that route!

Katmar

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2009
Pittsburgh, Pa
I'm also concerned about the flavorings and colorings, are there any chemistry experts out there? I'm absolutely no expert but I've read that even those labeled as "natural flavoring" can be up to 99% artificial/chemical...and that many contain glutamates/excitotoxins which when ingested cross the blood/brain barrier and "exite" the neurons in your brain into a frenzy until they essentially die of exhaustion. (think MSG and aspartame):nah: I've also been told most flavoring formulas are pretty much secret recipes so we may never know for sure what's in them. And maybe inhalation is more detrimental than ingesting them through food & drink..or not..? I don't know, maybe someone else has had better luck than I at researching this? I can happily vape nic-free juice, but plain vg just isn't as yummy as flavored, though I sometimes go that route!

The only flavoring I have heard anything bad about is butter flavoring. Google popcorn lung. Other than that, so far, it seems to be an unknown.

Sun Vaporer

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2009
Florida
The saftey of flavoring is the only issue that still is a total unknown. There have been no studies done on it at all and, as has been reported many many times, what is safe to eat, does not mean it is safe to inhale.

So the jury is still out on this one, but I am really not to concerned when compared to an analog.

We sill need to know what is and is not a safe concentration level to be inhaling over a long period of time.

See Study Finds Potential Inhalation Danger to Food-flavoring Manufacturing Workers - Issues and Events - Engineered Systems____

Sun

SikVapor

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 3, 2010
Cali

Hi Martha,

Are the preliminary/final results of this study available?? I clicked on the link, and the description is exactly the type of study the whole vaping community is looking for. The study is completed, now I hope the the results can answer our questions and concerns.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread