Is The Liquid Safe? Does it Cause Cancer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LisaLisa

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 4, 2009
Ok, I'm a newbie, so don't yell at me for asking this question.

I just now ordered my starter 501 kit, or whatever it's called and I got some of the Ecopure liquid to go with it. I've read about all of the different flavored liquids out there, but only saw menthol and regular in the ecopure line.

From what I understand, there are 2 kinds of liquid, one with some chemical and one that is ecopure. How safe are these liquids to inhale? Does anyone really know?

Is the ecopure "safer" then the other liquids? Does ecopure come in flavors like chocolate and coffee?

Has there been any testing to determine the safety of these liquids? I mean I'm a smoker, and I know that's dangerous.........hence the reason for wanting to switch over. But am I trading one danger for another, or is this stuff really safe?

Thanks for any input.

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
Hi Lisa and welcome to the forum.

Please take a look at the FAQs thread.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...ed-questions-about-electronic-cigarettes.html

It will answer many of your questions. You'll get a plethora of "opinion" here and no definitive answers. The technology is too new. However, in the 5-6 years e-cigs have been on the market, there have been no known reports of illness or poisoning. Anything with nicotine in it is not "pure." There are quite a few liquids made in the US with pharmaceutical grade nicotine, which makes many people more confident that they are not going to get containimated liquid like found in the Smoking Everywhere cartridge from China. There are also a lot of well-made Chinese products.

Logically, if you think about it, tobacco cigarettes have thousands of impurities & toxins and 50+ known carcinogens. It's known that these are found in the tobacco SMOKE. Nicotine itself is generally recognized as safe - that's why it's used in stop smoking treatments like the patch & gum.

Since e-cigs have no smoke and quality liquid contains water, propylene glycol (also known as safe per the FDA & EPA), nicotine & food flavoring, the only risk is with the nicotine, which comes from tobacco. But, even if there are low amounts of carcinogens in it, they are going to be well below acceptable levels (meaning, you'd have to chain vape high doses 24-7 before anything would happen) and are going to be MUCH MUCH less than the massive amounts of carcinogens and toxins in tobacco smoke.

I'm not familiar with ecopure's line, I get my U.S. made liquid from Nhaler.com. He offers a lot of flavors!

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
ok, did some checking on EcoPure. It's made in the UK. Their business goal is to keep the liquid as simple & chemical-free as possible That is why they limit the flavors. They use glycerol (a food additive) as their thickener, to produce the vapor.

The other manufacturers use propylene glycol (also a common food additive) or vegetable glycol. Some people are mildly allergic to PG so they use VG.

I would venture that quality glycerol, PG & VG all are safe on their own and each has it's own merits. Sme with the food flavorings.

I would say the biggest variable comes from the quality & purity of the nicotine.

On another note - the only thing that is 100% safe is quitting cold turkey, as even things like nicotine gum & patches have nictoine and that usually comes from tobacco.

Last edited:

Kate51

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2009
Argyle Wi USA
There's a great deal of carefully and enthusiastically gathered information in this Link.
You do need to look back through posts in ECF, it makes perfect sense to ask questions but the Forum has been well established to be upfront and personal about e-cig safety. This is one of ECF' missions. If you go to ECF's home page, scroll down almost to the bottom, there are "tagged" searches under the heading of "Cloud Tags", I guarantee it will be comprehensive reading. DO look at links contained in posts. Do ask questions, never accept opinions of others as gospel but question the research, and conduct your own. Nothing is certain, and there are risks in every quarter of our lives unless we educate ourselves.

jerrydon10

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
The liquid is safe. Ruyan is a leading manufacturer of all things e-cig and commissioned an independent study by scientists. That study is here:

http://www.healthnz.co.nz/RuyanCartridgeReport30-Oct-08.pdf

Conclusion. Based on the manufacturer’s information, the composition of the cartridge
liquid is not hazardous to health, if used as intended.

For all we know, inhaling propylene glycol could cause our lungs to shrivel up and die after 20 year's use.

That reminds me of when I was in school, many many years ago.

In 6th grade we our Health textbooks told us that each cigarette we smoked took off about 7 minutes off our life.

When I was a Sophomore, my Health textbook stated that breathing second hand smoke from a single cigarette would take about 15 minutes off our life.

I guess the moral of the story, to tell all 6th graders, is actually smoking is better for you than standing next to a smoker. :lol:

Note to self... Now is when Algebra comes in...
If a smoker stood next to 3 other smokers, and breathing in their second hand smoke as well, what brand of beer are they drinking???

Scottbee

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 18, 2009
Okauchee Lake, WI
Ok, I'm a newbie, so don't yell at me for asking this question.

I just now ordered my starter 501 kit, or whatever it's called and I got some of the Ecopure liquid to go with it. I've read about all of the different flavored liquids out there, but only saw menthol and regular in the ecopure line.

From what I understand, there are 2 kinds of liquid, one with some chemical and one that is ecopure. How safe are these liquids to inhale? Does anyone really know?

Is the ecopure "safer" then the other liquids? Does ecopure come in flavors like chocolate and coffee?

Has there been any testing to determine the safety of these liquids? I mean I'm a smoker, and I know that's dangerous.........hence the reason for wanting to switch over. But am I trading one danger for another, or is this stuff really safe?

Thanks for any input.

Egads.. you aren't the same LisaLisa of PWC fame.. are you?

Anyway, I'm an ECOpure user and personally I love the stuff. But, that being said, I prefer almost any VG (Vegetable Glycerin) e-liquid over the PG (Propylene Glycol) equivalent. It's just a smoother "vape" to me, and usually there is more vapor production. But, there are a very limited number of ECOpure flavors available. There are other manufacturers who have a broader line of VG liquids. Vermont Vapor is just one example.

But that isn't to say that a VG liquid, or ECOpure is necessarily better or safer than a quality PG liquid that you can get from many of our wonderful vendors. It's more of a personal preference issue (or, in some cases, a means to avoid a PG allergy).

Scottbee

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 18, 2009
Okauchee Lake, WI
That reminds me of when I was in school, many many years ago.

In 6th grade we our Health textbooks told us that each cigarette we smoked took off about 7 minutes off our life.

When I was a Sophomore, my Health textbook stated that breathing second hand smoke from a single cigarette would take about 15 minutes off our life.

I guess the moral of the story, to tell all 6th graders, is actually smoking is better for you than standing next to a smoker. :lol:

Note to self... Now is when Algebra comes in...
If a smoker stood next to 3 other smokers, and breathing in their second hand smoke as well, what brand of beer are they drinking???

I was told that smoking would take ten years off of my life. I always replied that those ten years were the last ten years.. and those suck anyway!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread