Is the syringe wasteful?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EdensDaddy

ECF Veteran
Jul 13, 2009
I started using a syringe to fill carts and feel like I am wasting a lot more juice than the typical paperclip or drops before inserting the filler techniques. Perhaps I am not using the right gauge needles. I got them from my mother who works as an RN and can provide them free of charge. I felt it would be a good way to measure my consumption but I have 23 ga needles and the juice seems way too thick. There is also the amount of e liquid that is in the neck of the needle the plunger never pushes out. Am I doing this wrong?

Praiodan

Feb 6, 2009
I used to do the paperclip / tweezer method to remove the cart and wool then drip in the juice. I found it to be too much hassle and over-filling the carts became a reality..not to mention it's messy.

I've been using a syringe for the past few months to fill from the bottem up. I don't even take the cart out of the holder anymore. So much easier on cleanup and I've gotten pretty quick with it :)

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
The thing about the syringe is that you probably do leave a little bit of juice in the tip.
I do a couple of extra squeezes on the syringe to get it back in the bottle again.

And yeah, the more cartridges you fill at once, the less of a concern it really should be.
But if it is really a concern, you could just use the needle tip bottles.

Precision Oiler - Needle Tip Oiler Bottle 1/2 oz.
d037_2.JPG

Last edited:

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
I guess I"ll have to try the syringe now. I've just been using the straw mod and a needle to work it in. But this sounds like a good tryout.
Although I use a syringe when I use cartridges (mostly drip now) I am still seriously considering the straw modification, and so day I may try it again.

It isn't so much for the filling, but for the supposedly improved wicking.
Improved wicking is something I always crave when using a cartridge.

chad

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 6, 2009
NY, USA
cybervapor.com
I use a B&D 20 gauge 1" needle with a 3mL syringe. They're cheap by the 100 here.

I use a Dremel tool to cut off the sharp end. I stick the sharp end in a cork and cut it off using a cutoff disk so the metal doesn't fly off and lodge in my body. Then I sand the tip with a sanding disk until it's smooth.

You're right about it leaving a little juice in the neck. At first I thought the same thing but then I gave up on worrying about it. If you think of a way to mitigate the loss, let me know!

zero7starz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Jul 10, 2009
    Yes a 23 gauge is too small. The only way I really know this is from gauging my ears LOL. I'd suggest anything from 20 to 18, that should be large enough to put glycerin through but small enough not to be difficult.

Anyone know where I can buy maybe 2 syringes cheep? I don't feel like tyring to explain myself at the pharmacy...

Robert

Moved On
    Jun 18, 2009
    San Diego, CA.
    Although I use a syringe when I use cartridges (mostly drip now) I am still seriously considering the straw modification, and so day I may try it again.

It isn't so much for the filling, but for the supposedly improved wicking.
    Improved wicking is something I always crave when using a cartridge.

Try the pyramid lypton tea bag method- this has solved my last few minor problems with my 510- really like this new cart filler- zero strands ever get to the atty. Great flavor!!

Elendil

Assclown Exterminator
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 28, 2009
    IL USA
    Yes a 23 gauge is too small. The only way I really know this is from gauging my ears LOL. I'd suggest anything from 20 to 18, that should be large enough to put glycerin through but small enough not to be difficult.

Anyone know where I can buy maybe 2 syringes cheep? I don't feel like tyring to explain myself at the pharmacy...

Johnson Creek sells them

DC2

Tootie Puffer
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 21, 2009
    San Diego
    Try the pyramid lypton tea bag method- this has solved my last few minor problems with my 510- really like this new cart filler- zero strands ever get to the atty. Great flavor!!
    Sigh.

That is on my list of things to try as well.
    Along with another attempt at the straw modification.

I am actually having some pretty darn good luck with the windmill method now though.
    At least, that is, when I'm actually using a cartridge.

In fact I went all day using the windmill method today, and I am afraid it worked better than dripping.
    I had to top off less than I would have had to drip.

Sigh.

madman3237

ECF Veteran
    May 20, 2009
    Laurel, DE USA
    Sigh.

That is on my list of things to try as well.
    Along with another attempt at the straw modification.

I am actually having some pretty darn good luck with the windmill method now though.
    At least, that is, when I'm actually using a cartridge.

In fact I went all day using the windmill method today, and I am afraid it worked better than dripping.
    I had to top off less than I would have had to drip.

Sigh.
    What is the windmill method???:confused:

DC2

Tootie Puffer
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 21, 2009
    San Diego
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread