Is the voltage drop on the Reo the reason it doesn't hit like other mechs??

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigCloudz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2013
So Cal
Hey guys, I no longer have a Multi Meter, I got rid of it when I got my Ohm Reader, therefore cannot test the VD on the Reo. I have been trying to figure out why a .6ohm coil on my RM2/Reo doesn't not hit like a .6 on my say, Magneto+Helios. I am not complaining about the Reo vape, I am just more-so curious as to why the performance isn't on par with something that (in theory), should be equal.

I tried pdib's .001" brass shim mod, but still did not notice a significant difference.

Can anyone chime in and let me know if I am doing something wrong, or if there is something I can do to get this baby hitting like a freight train?

Thanks in advance!

pdib

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2012
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
I would guess it's about v-drop. The brass shim mod is/was a temporary/passing thing. I wouldn't recommend it as a permanent solution, as there's no more hard short protection. I'd suggest the auto fuse mod over the brass shim; but with much care that the fuse can't touch the body of the REO where it shouldn't. Gotta make sure the current passes through the whole fuse, and doesn't sneak out by having the battery leg of the fuse touch the body too. That said, it's important to have good contact between the brass shim and the aluminum REO body (no paint, etc.) The spring end of the deal is 2/3 of the v-drop, the rest is at the firing pin (shape and materials). I made some custom firing pins for my flat buttontop batteries incorporating brass and a longer contact surface. I'm thinking we're getting pretty dang close to Rob releasing his beryllium copper pins and springs; which should put you in a super low v-drop situation.

Nonetheless, all the usual suspects can be at play here. Clean, solid contact at the 510. I've found that just a 1/4 turn of the atty can affect conductivity. Well kempt firing pin; filed, noaloxed, etc. Good quality batteries, clean and in good condition. (The REO has a smaller + contact point, so the condition of your batteries button is more important than with a tube mod + contact.)

BigCloudz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2013
So Cal
Awesome, can't wait for the new contacts and springs!

Pdib, I typically use my AW IMR 18650s, but just bought a few Samsung INR18650s that I am running on my super low (.3ish) builds. I may buy a few more Samsungs when this 'sub ohm' kit comes rollin in. It pretty much depends on how the new contact is, and if it will work well with flat tops.

Thanks, fellas.

pdib

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2012
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
Awesome, can't wait for the new contacts and springs!

Pdib, I typically use my AW IMR 18650s, but just bought a few Samsung INR18650s that I am running on my super low (.3ish) builds. I may buy a few more Samsungs when this 'sub ohm' kit comes rollin in. It pretty much depends on how the new contact is, and if it will work well with flat tops.

Thanks, fellas.

I'm using the Samsungs too; but, like I said, with my own pins. The AWs, specifically the 1600mAhs, are actually higher amp batteries than the Sammies. (24 max continuous VS 22A, respectively), The AW 2000s are 10A.

jcalis1394

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 29, 2013
Miami, FL
Yup, it is the voltage drop. First thing is, get rid of those 2000 mAh 18650 AW IMR and get yourself the 1600 mAh, they are a lot better for sub ohms and generally hit harder. Once the sub ohm kit is out, according to the video Rob posted a while ago (was it like a 0.2V drop on a .4 ohm coil?) it'll make the REO have the voltage drop of the highest top mechs or even lower. :D

dhomes

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2012
Austin, TX
The best imo are still the sony 30amps, these is compared to the samsung inr and panasonic, dont have any aw18650 but i know the samsung inr perform preuty close to the aw 18650 1600.

Looking forward to rob's kit. Happy with my springless reos but if the kit become standard on future reos that would be a great excuse for a third one. Just scored a ihybrid pure so i'm done with tubes for now (although the dna30 is coming! 30 watts of variable wattage will be mucho awesom-o!)

jcalis1394

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 29, 2013
Miami, FL
The best imo are still the sony 30amps, these is compared to the samsung inr and panasonic, dont have any aw18650 but i know the samsung inr perform preuty close to the aw 18650 1600.

Looking forward to rob's kit. Happy with my springless reos but if the kit become standard on future reos that would be a great excuse for a third one. Just scored a ihybrid pure so i'm done with tubes for now (although the dna30 is coming! 30 watts of variable wattage will be mucho awesom-o!)
DNA30...30 watts regulated...I want in! Let's start thinking ahead shall we? If it does come out, I am so going to mod some of my Grands for it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread