RDA Is there anything better than the magma rda for flavor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

keepsmiling

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 8, 2014
Florida
Single parallel 28g coil. Approx 2mm id. Circa .65ohm. Placed about 1mm off the the air inlet. Short and thin piece of rayon wick.

I don't know where I saw it, but I saw someone say this, and also said "less is more", so I tried it.
It wasn't as good for me. I find a long tail down in the chamber gave me far more flavor and vapor, so I went back to that.

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place
I've had a few of the RDAs spoken about in this thread and shelled out a good deal of money (to me) for them, but I have grown so fond of the Magma it is all I'll use now. One thing a poster bought up (can't remember whom) is the resistance of the set-up (among many other things). It's really easy for us to talk about "best", but it really does depend on how high or low one goes with resistance -- or in general how we like to run our attys. I stay around .7Ω for the Magma and I haven't been happier with any other rda with regard to flavor (too much lower and it would be too hot for me). Now, a close second for me would be the Veritas. I loved it dearly and actually bought it the day it came out -- but, although I got really good with building on it, I remained apathetic in doing so. It was almost the best, but "almost" can't stay with me.

I'm getting getter flavour out of my Venturi than my Magma. It has an inner chamber with a tapered chimney to concentrate the vapour like a kayfun. The build is kinda tricky and it has some quirks, but it works really well, looks really good and is very leak resistant.

UxFamOO.jpg

UTbcPiF.jpg

bwhitt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 7, 2013
Houston
I have not tried the Magma yet. It’s on my list, but I am not thrilled about the air hole locations. Looks like a very messy
Atomizer to me. I have a Venturi and a Veritas and while the Veritas is good, the Venturi has much better flavor to me.
Tried them both on the same build and same juice and the Venturi is the better of the two in my opinion. Very dense
vapor that brings out more of the hard to taste flavors.

Also looking at the hobo RDA

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place
The Holmes looks interesting but I'm not sure I like the aesthetics of it. Also it doesn't have a tapered chamber to concentrate the vapour so it probably won't have quite as good flavour compared to the Magma. It does look like it will be more leak resistant and holds a good amount of juice, though.

I hear you on the aesthetics, but I can't exactly say that a) I love the aesthetics of the Magma and b) that I really care too much about the looks. I care about the vape. Now, that is not to say I have no care about the look of my gear (I won't be rockin' any V3 Flip anytime soon), but for the most part, if it vapes great and isn't offensively ugly, it will get a shot. Most importantly, I feel that with some of us that really love the Magma, I am hoping that other attys build from some of its successes and improves on some of its less-than stellar designs. My hope is that the Holmes is decent enough.

Frocket

ECF Veteran
Aug 4, 2013
north Carolina
Magma tops all my RDAs. Other than the Magma I have a Tobh, a Stillare, Patriot and Helios. Reasons I prefer the Magma: flavor, ease of build, less leaking, screw-on top cap, juice capacity, and aesthetics.

I'm by no means a master builder, and it's super simple to build on. I usually use dual 26 gauge at about 0.5 ohms, 40 watts or so. This atty works great on a regulated mod.

Some hate the screw on top cap, but I love it - I can throw it in my pocket and have no worries about it popping off.

Got a Plume Veil coming in the mail, so that may change.

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place
Looks like it would leak all over the place imo...

Not seeing that. The coils would cover the air inlets and they are rasied high enough that you'd have to drip out-of-control to flood it that high. Now, with the Magma, that thing, at least in my experience, leaks damned near no matter what you do, unless you just drip enough to rip a couple or if you just drip with the cap off (what I do).

JD1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 20, 2010
KY
Not seeing that. The coils would cover the air inlets and they are rasied high enough that you'd have to drip out-of-control to flood it that high. Now, with the Magma, that thing, at least in my experience, leaks damned near no matter what you do, unless you just drip enough to rip a couple or if you just drip with the cap off (what I do).

I think you're right on that. It even mentions in the description that the air inlets are above the juice well. The only negative I see is the lack of afc. Air inlets are huge on that thing. I usually set the air flow on my Veritas to where it feels like about 1.6mm for most of my juices.

Have you seen this thread on the Magma? Looks easy enough to do. http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...ms/594806-magma-rda-lifting-air-channels.html

Here's an odd one I ran across at FT. It has two air holes in the center post. Air inlet looks pretty small though. It would maybe suit me ok, but not most folks I wouldn't think. I don't know anything about it but it looks to be very leak resistant at least. https://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10011443/1987300-nomad-style-rda-rebuildable-dripping-atomizer

VenusianSky

Verified Member
May 25, 2014
Pittsburgh
Magma is still my top for flavor. I have gone back and forth between the Magma and Veritas, but I'll give it to the Magma. I just don't like the design of the Veritas and, for me, the air flow isn't that much more special than the Magma. I also have used the Plume Veil, but never got one because it leaks bad. I don't think it is as good as the Magma or Veritas for flavor, in my experience. I also have a Tobh, Stillaire, and Lancia.

However, I think the Hobo is becoming my new favorite. It has the best balance of everything, from what I've used so far. Excellent flavor and vapor production, easy to adjust top cap airflow, no leaking, easy for builds, decent juice capacity. It is just a great all-around atty and the flavor is definitely up there with the best of them.

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place
I think you're right on that. It even mentions in the description that the air inlets are above the juice well. The only negative I see is the lack of afc. Air inlets are huge on that thing. I usually set the air flow on my Veritas to where it feels like about 1.6mm for most of my juices.

Have you seen this thread on the Magma? Looks easy enough to do. http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...ms/594806-magma-rda-lifting-air-channels.html

Here's an odd one I ran across at FT. It has two air holes in the center post. Air inlet looks pretty small though. It would maybe suit me ok, but not most folks I wouldn't think. I don't know anything about it but it looks to be very leak resistant at least. https://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10011443/1987300-nomad-style-rda-rebuildable-dripping-atomizer

That FT one looks quite odd. I wish they showed better photos of the inner chamber/deck.

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place
Man, I've been out of hte hardware game for a few months (feel like years) so I didn't know how many devices were out now that were bottom-fed for air.

SectorOne-RDA-22U.png

10701940_226364944177120_4942838457818250335_n_1024x1024.jpg

That's the N22. If this is old news, forgive me -- and judging by all the 'clones,' it very well be old news. I still want another atty so I can ditch the Magma, though I do still love it for flavor. So maybe I will look into this one too? Oh bother! I think I just realized/remebered why I stopped obsessing over hardware. It's never-ending!!!!

edit: Hmm...airflow might be a tad too tight for me on that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread