Is this true?

bombastinator2

ECF Veteran
Apr 15, 2023
Saw a thing that said Australia is banning disposable imports. Not being Australian I know little about this one. Can anyone speak to it? It appears there are several articles.

somdcomputerguy

vaper dedicato
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!

Reactions: smacuser

bombastinator2

ECF Veteran
    Apr 15, 2023
    This seems to be about a lot more than banning importation of disposables. Not allowing nicotine base to be sold except through pharmacies which do not actually sell it seems to be one, which would be a different thing. IThis is happening as well? That is going to be a serious problem.

somdcomputerguy

vaper dedicato
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
    And the suits just can't seem to get that nicotine doesn't harm people, but smoke and TAR do. Nicotine can be harmful, it's the dosage that makes a poison. If I take a few swigs of the 100mg/ml in my fridge, I'll barf and probably have a headache. OTOH, if I take 7 or 8 aspirins at once..

• Haha
    Reactions: DPLongo22

bombastinator2

ECF Veteran
    Apr 15, 2023
    Well, it is highly addictive. Which is arguably harm to someone not already addicted. Tar and particulate is bad for everyone though. Addicted, non-addicted, even bystanders. Cigarettes do MORE harm than e-cigs. By a fairly wide margin. There seems to be a similar thing in US politics. If both choices are bad the idea is to choose the least bad one, while the people who gain for the most bad one argue that since they are both bad they are the same when they’re not. There are people that seem to understand this yet they do it anyway. I don’t understand that. I wouldn’t be able to live with myself.

bombastinator2

ECF Veteran
    Apr 15, 2023
    Pot enthusiasts claim pot is not addictive. I personally do not know, I suspect it is to a least some degree false though. Nicotine is supposed to be far far more addictive though even if pot is. Addictiveness levels were tested by making cigarettes illegal in a prison. Cigarette prices quickly eclipsed and far surpassed ....... I don’t know how much of that is the legality factor.

bombastinator2

ECF Veteran
    Apr 15, 2023
    Still, there’s money to be made.
    True. And wherever there is money to be made there will be someone trying to do it. Usually. This seems to me to be the MO of Murdoch. It seems he looks for those things that are so awful no one will do them and then does them. His public relations passes this off as “making the hard choices” and “seeing things other people don’t.” I personally see it as almost inhuman venality. The things have been seen and known for a long time. It’s just that the ramifications are so awful and horrific in the long term, no human will do them. In its way it’s more or less the same thing though. Sometimes cleaning up a mess no one is willing to and creating a mess so bad no one can ever clean it up are indistinguishable.

Last edited:
    Reactions: smacuser

DavidOck

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 3, 2013
    Halfway to Paradise, WA
    Well, it is highly addictive.

No. Cigarettes are, nic isn't.

One of the most respected researchers in the field, Dr. Paul Newhouse, Director of Vanderbilt University’s Center for Cognitive Medicine, argues that nicotineseems very safe even in nonsmokers. In our studies we find it actually reduces blood pressure chronically. And there were no addiction or withdrawal problems, and nobody started smoking cigarettes. The risk of addiction to nicotine alone is virtually nil.” Tobacco has also been considered harmful because it is highly addictive, but whether nicotine has the same addictive potential remains unclear. According to Dr. Newhouse, “nicotine by itself isn’t very addictive at all… [it] seems to require assistance from other substances found in tobacco to get people hooked.

italics theirs, red mine.

That's just one reference to the NON-addictive quality of nic - without all the other alkaloids in burned tobacco,

We don't need to perpetuate the myths, imo.

bombastinator2

ECF Veteran
    Apr 15, 2023
    Interesting. We will see then. The stuff I have seen said it’s still quite addictive. It might be even MORE addictive with the other chemicals though. I don’t know.
    No. Cigarettes are, nic isn't.

One of the most respected researchers in the field, Dr. Paul Newhouse, Director of Vanderbilt University’s Center for Cognitive Medicine, argues that nicotineseems very safe even in nonsmokers. In our studies we find it actually reduces blood pressure chronically. And there were no addiction or withdrawal problems, and nobody started smoking cigarettes. The risk of addiction to nicotine alone is virtually nil.” Tobacco has also been considered harmful because it is highly addictive, but whether nicotine has the same addictive potential remains unclear. According to Dr. Newhouse, “nicotine by itself isn’t very addictive at all… [it] seems to require assistance from other substances found in tobacco to get people hooked.

italics theirs, red mine.

That's just one reference to the NON-addictive quality of nic - without all the other alkaloids in burned tobacco,

We don't need to perpetuate the myths, imo.
    We shall see then. You imply niccy fits aren’t nicotine fits at all then. I will be titrating down off unprotonated in the near future. As it also wasn’t apparently as powerful an anti-anxiety as I thought. If it is as you say it’s the only non-addictive anti-anxiety drug that exists though. ALL the others were addictive. Xanax was particularly bad that way. The problem I see with the article is the mights and maybes. No process is described. No pathway given. It’s a hunch. Possibly a good hunch, but a hunch. Nicotine has been the gold standard for addiction for many years. The whole anti-anxiety thing could explain that.

Last edited:

DavidOck

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 3, 2013
    Halfway to Paradise, WA
    Anti-smoking partisans all say it's addictive. Actual research, not so much.

Most of our notions about nicotine stem from the anti-tobacco educational efforts initiated in the 1980s. Thanks in large part to those efforts, there is no longer a debate about harms caused by smoking. But, through a case of guilt by association, they also led to beliefs that nicotine is addictive in and of itself and that nicotine causes cancer. Such notions stigmatized the substance and its users, regardless of the method or purpose of its consumption. As the documentary shows, these ideas are not only wrong but harmful for individuals, public health, and science.

bombastinator2

ECF Veteran
    Apr 15, 2023
    Some clarification?

Addictive, no. Habit forming, yeah.
    You seem to be differentiating the two. I have seen it called physical addiction and mental addiction and it was about physical side affects, as there can be even life threatening side effects for some drugs. That word may also be removed. I’ve run into that a couple of times now.
    Anti-smoking partisans all say it's addictive. Actual research, not so much.

Most of our notions about nicotine stem from the anti-tobacco educational efforts initiated in the 1980s. Thanks in large part to those efforts, there is no longer a debate about harms caused by smoking. But, through a case of guilt by association, they also led to beliefs that nicotine is addictive in and of itself and that nicotine causes cancer. Such notions stigmatized the substance and its users, regardless of the method or purpose of its consumption. As the documentary shows, these ideas are not only wrong but harmful for individuals, public health, and science.
    Heh. I actually patreoned that thing. That still just throws it into the realm of the barely known though, which is the traditional stomping grounds of mountebanks. If so more research is urgently needed, and Phillip Morris if they’ve done it but not quite officially finished it and instead “stopped” the study “before it was finished” (which is likely given their historical behavior) thus leaping through the quite disturbing loop hole there, One would think they would be trumpeting such a thing.

Reactions: DavidOck

DavidOck

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 3, 2013
    Halfway to Paradise, WA
    Yes, I DO differentiate between the two, as they are not the same. I have a coffee habit, but can go without, if I choose. And, when still a smoker, I did want that "fix" about hourly. As a vaper, no issues at all going many hours without a toke. (Yes, situational, like going to a long movie. No stress.)
    Heh. I actually patreoned that thing.

:thumbs:

And yes, more real research is needed. PM is probably trying to protect their profits. Doh.

Tor R

Ultra Member
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
  • Apr 4, 2020
    Mandal, Norway
    www.kinnheia.com
    This seems to be about a lot more than banning importation of disposables. Not allowing nicotine base to be sold except through pharmacies which do not actually sell it seems to be one, which would be a different thing. IThis is happening as well? That is going to be a serious problem.
    Yup, Australia is banning all vape, gear, juice, nic etc.
    You can buy something simple at pharmacies, if you have a doctor's prescription.
    Give it a year, those who vape as us will be criminals, while the youth get theirs just like they have been able to until now.

Well, it is highly addictive. Which is arguably harm to someone not already addicted. Tar and particulate is bad for everyone though. Addicted, non-addicted, even bystanders. Cigarettes do MORE harm than e-cigs. By a fairly wide margin. There seems to be a similar thing in US politics. If both choices are bad the idea is to choose the least bad one, while the people who gain for the most bad one argue that since they are both bad they are the same when they’re not. There are people that seem to understand this yet they do it anyway. I don’t understand that. I wouldn’t be able to live with myself.
    Cigarettes are very addictive, but it's not just because of the nicotine. It is the whole combination within the cigarette.
    In terms of quantity, I use much less nic with vape, I can count on one hand the times I've had a light-headedness in the last 3 years, it wasn't like that with cigarettes.
    But the authorities believe that if we have nic in our juice, we are doomed to become nic slaves for the rest of our lives.
    Nic is perhaps the most addictive substance there is, say the politicians...

Users who are viewing this thread