It has begun...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angelz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 31, 2009
Michigan
Let's face it, if your going into "Best buy" or any other establishment for a short amount of time whats the point in taking in your pv? To draw attention? ( Hey, look what I can do and its not smoking! Try and stop me?)
No. I keep my Dragon in my pocket when I'm not using it. And I'm not bloody blatant about it. No one even sees it.
This kind of menatlity put us back two steps for every positive step we take in the "right" direction. Education not ......ation!
Don't assume. Not everyone does this.

Arizona Dad

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 10, 2009
Southern Arizona
Just my two cents...

I remember when smoking was allowed in all establishments. Then the ban came and smoking and non smoking sections opened up. Even before this happened, I would always turn to the person next to me and ask if they minded if I smoked. I don't remember EVER getting a nasty response. Yes, a few times they responded in the negative; most telling me they had severe reactions to second hand smoke, or a health problem. Considering that vaping looks exactly like smoking, I'm sure most people seeing this would react in a negative way. I've lived for years with these no smoking bans. If I were at the mall and needed a hit, I'd go outside and smoke.

I agree that now is NOT the time to push the issue. It's just too sensitive a subject. We're certainly not going to gain any public support by flaunting an e-cig or PV in their faces as if to say, "See What I Can Do?"

AND...I'm sure those with medical problems would STILL be concerned if I vaped next to them. Even explaining what I'm doing would not calm thier nerves, and they probably wouldn't believe me if I told them that there was nothing harmful in the vapor.

Common courtesty. That's the ticket. Too much hate and discontent going around now anyway.

Just my two cents.

Angelz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 31, 2009
Michigan
Just my two cents...

I remember when smoking was allowed in all establishments. Then the ban came and smoking and non smoking sections opened up. Even before this happened, I would always turn to the person next to me and ask if they minded if I smoked. I don't remember EVER getting a nasty response. Yes, a few times they responded in the negative; most telling me they had severe reactions to second hand smoke, or a health problem. Considering that vaping looks exactly like smoking, I'm sure most people seeing this would react in a negative way. I've lived for years with these no smoking bans. If I were at the mall and needed a hit, I'd go outside and smoke.

I agree that now is NOT the time to push the issue. It's just too sensitive a subject. We're certainly not going to gain any public support by flaunting an e-cig or PV in their faces as if to say, "See What I Can Do?"

AND...I'm sure those with medical problems would STILL be concerned if I vaped next to them. Even explaining what I'm doing would not calm thier nerves, and they probably wouldn't believe me if I told them that there was nothing harmful in the vapor.

Common courtesty. That's the ticket. Too much hate and discontent going around now anyway.

Just my two cents.

Yeah, I agree with what you're saying. I happened to take 2 quick hits in Target - in an empty aisle - making sure nobody would see it or smell it (if there's a smell?). No way am I blatant about it - ever - and that's the first time I ever did it I think, vape in a store...I'll not be made to feel discourteous, because I wasn't and am not.

AngusATAT

Captain Tightpants
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2009
GA, USA
I vape in stores all the time, and nobody ever knows it. Stealth vaping kicks .....

I use my black 510, and just hold the vapor in long enough so that nothing comes out when I exhale. As far as anyone can tell, it's just a pen.

I've even gotten so bold to use it at work in meetings. I use a battery with no LED. Nobody can tell. They can't smell it. I chain vape in my cubicle all day long. Nobody is the wiser, and I am more productive because I don't leave my desk for ten minutes every hour to run downstairs and smoke.

You can vape pretty much anywhere and nobody ever has to know.

Of course, I'm only sneaky about it where I have to be, like work and other obvious no smoking areas. Other than that, I vape openly and invite comments from folks.

TheB0lt

Sep 15, 2009
New Hampshire
My personal feeling on this one is that just because a retailer (or commissioned clerk looking for a quick buck at a mall) tells me I can smoke anywhere with an eCig, I still don't. How the hell do they know?! Plus, we're getting enough flack from the FDA. Why draw more attention?! he he.

Call me non-confrontational or what have you, but I've not yet smoked inside an establishment. It's their private company. I've no business presuming I can use my vape in their establishment without asking first.

Of course, I've yet to ask, either! Hard to break old habits. I guess I have no issue with eating a nice meal (or what have you) and then going outside or to my car to smoke my eCiggy.

Eric in AK

ECF Veteran
Sep 30, 2009
Alaska
Considering that many vapers seem to exhale a pretty decent amount of vapor, if I were a non-smoker / non-vaper I wouldn't want to be within ten feet of a person exhaling the stuff. As far as I know, the vapor being exhaled contains nicotine. It's not my right to expose people nearby to it. It's pretty obvious that even among vapers the sensitivity to both nicotine and glycol vary greatly. Why wouldn't one assume the same to be true of those who come into contact with your vapor exhalation? Just as there are few if any reliable lab analyses of the contents of e-liquid, I'm sure there are even fewer of the vapor exhaled after each hit. I wouldn't ever have the nerve to vape in a no-smoking area, simply out of consideration for others. My own need/desire for nicotine is secondary.

Snarkyone

ECF Veteran
Sep 4, 2009
Your mom said not to say...
I get a good laugh every time I read these threads about vaping in public and the whiners in the anti everything crowd. It's like I am reading the diaries of a bunch of adults living with their parents trying to hide stuff from them. Why do you care what others complain about? To hell with them, if you have taken the time to show them what it is and that it's not smoking and nothing is on fire and nothing harmful is being expelled then you have gone above and beyond your duty. Has anyone actually had someone turn into an ... about their vaping in public? I find it curious that so many of you are worried about what others think, it's fascinating.

quovadis

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2009
Florida USA
I get a good laugh every time I read these threads about vaping in public and the whiners in the anti everything crowd. It's like I am reading the diaries of a bunch of adults living with their parents trying to hide stuff from them. Why do you care what others complain about? To hell with them, if you have taken the time to show them what it is and that it's not smoking and nothing is on fire and nothing harmful is being expelled then you have gone above and beyond your duty. Has anyone actually had someone turn into an ... about their vaping in public? I find it curious that so many of you are worried about what others think, it's fascinating.

I worry a lot about what others think. Life is all about other people, and who we get to meet.
I would never start vaping in a non smoking restaurant.
I would never start speaking loudly on my cell phone, or attract any unwanted attention for that matter.
I would rather sit and observe others discreetly (without staring).

Angelz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 31, 2009
Michigan

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!
**Ahem**
Wow...that just cracked me up :lol:

youtubecommercial

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 2, 2009
Florida
I had a real bad experience at Applebee's last night. :mad:

Just out of curiousity, has anyone had this experience yet?

WOW Crestus we live in the same town, I haven't vaped in Applebee's yet so now I have a heads up, It was probably because you were a frequent customer and someone said something to the manager .. I am thinking it is the one on Enterprise right? I have vaped all over this town all stores and restaurants and the hospital no one ever says anything to me ... now I don't vape on a e-cig I vape with the Prodigy, Chuck and SB all big mods, dont look anything like a cig so even if someone saw a little vapor out of the corner of there eye by the time they looked all they would see is something they have never seen before and dismiss it.. anyway this is how Im doing it ...

Snarkyone

ECF Veteran
Sep 4, 2009
Your mom said not to say...
Umm I have vaped in my kids school, I have also vaped in a dentist office, a doctors office, and if I was in a courtroom and had my vaporizer I would not hesitate to use it there either, it's not illegal. I don't go running around like a loon blowing vapor in people's faces but I won't be a little wallflower who falls in line with a stern look either, that's for chumps.

catlvr

ECF Veteran
Jun 24, 2009
Kern County California
I worry a lot about what others think. Life is all about other people, and who we get to meet.
I would never start vaping in a non smoking restaurant.
I would never start speaking loudly on my cell phone, or attract any unwanted attention for that matter.
I would rather sit and observe others discreetly (without staring).
Totally agree!:) Could not have said it better!:D

simage

ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2009
Massachusetts
Well wouldnt it be a good thing to start going out with the smokers and then explain and help convert??I think the more people who know the better and if people clearly notice the changes of smokers to vapors and become educated in the fact that this habbit is a much better solution to analogs it would send the right messages faster?(maybe)ie cleaner air at the entrance of the restaurant etc....at least until people are in the know.

Chasm

ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2009
Michigan
By your logic, if I wish to dress like Hitler while floating on an inner tube and fish for trout, I first have to see if there is a law which specifically allows it? Is there a law which specifially states that a child is allowed to play with Crayons? I'm sorry, but that is the most backward thinking idea I've heard since universal healthcare.

Look, if there is no specific law banning it, then it isn't banned. Simple as that. If you are in an establishment not owned by you, the owner of said establishment reserves the right to impliment any rules in addition to any laws (ie. No shoes, no shirt, no service). If they ask us to stop vaping or get out, then they are within their right. If we vape and they say it's ok, then .......n it, it's ok! So long as their are no laws stating otherwise. Laws don't tell us what we can do. They tell us what we cannot.

That's the basis of English Common Law (think American, possibly excluding some parts of Louisiana )
- The law defines what is ILLEGAL, all else is legal.
- Innocent until proven guilty

Under the Napoleonic system (think France)
- the law defines what is LEGAL, all else is illegal.
- Guilty until proven innocent

I'm not a lawyer so it's almost certainly not quite that simple, but I've heard it explained that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread