The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

"It only takes ONE bad chemical"

Discussion in 'Media and General News' started by Moonbogg, Sep 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. AndriaD

AndriaD Reviewer / Blogger Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 24, 2014
    LawrencevilleGA
    In fact, when I first started having more trouble with my asthma last fall, someone suggested putting some liquid albuterol in my DIY mix, but unfortunately I don't have access to any liquid albuterol anymore. Just inhalers.

I've thought of it often, when out and about; I can pull out my inhaler and take a puff from it anytime, anywhere, in any circumstances. I'd be willing to bet that if I did that with my mod, there would be a lot of outrage to deal with. Or at least a little outrage -- because it *looks* like smoking, so it must be the same thing, doncha know. :facepalm:

Andria

2. choochoogranny

choochoogranny Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Oct 21, 2013
    chattanooga, tn, usa
    Thank you, Andria, Niknik. Am now on a continuing education search. Whew! So many medications and inhaler choices for asthma. Of course, an asthma sufferer would not as frequently use asthma inhalers the way I chain vape my mod, but I don't intentionally inhale into lungs......Mouth and out....or mouth, nose and out. Could be reason am still walkin'. :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. skoony

skoony Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Jul 31, 2013
    saint paul,mn,usa
    There are enough biopsy's done every year to determine if in fact BO is being misdiagnosed
    as COPD. I have read many times in the literature that BO is or could most likely be being
    misdiagnosed as COPD. As of yet there is no evidence of misdiagnosis,just conjecture.
    i think I am being reasonable in assuming that if smoking caused OB we would know.
    The ANTZ would have shoved the fact down smokers throats as another reason smoking
    is bad.
    :2c:
    Regards
    mike

• Like Like x 5
  4. AndriaD

Jan 24, 2014
    LawrencevilleGA
    Umm... COPD is VERY OFTEN caused by smoking. At least, smoking is one of the known proximal causes of it. And yeah, that fact gets shoved down every throat in sight.

When I was first diagnosed with asthma, I was told that if I didn't quit smoking immediately if not sooner, that i *WOULD* develop COPD. I smoked for another 30 yrs.... and AFAIK, I don't have COPD -- just asthma.

Andria

5. skoony

skoony Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Jul 31, 2013
    saint paul,mn,usa
    Sorry, I meant OB in the underlined. I have corrected that.
    Regards
    Mike

• Like Like x 2
  6. AndriaD

Jan 24, 2014
    LawrencevilleGA
    Ok, I wondered if that was the case. It's right in line with the earlier discussion that perhaps something in all those thousands of toxins is protecting smokers from B. O. (while putting them at risk for COPD, among other things!).

I remember the smoker's mindset very clearly... "why would smoke harm me?" But now my attitude is 180 degrees from that -- "Why WOULDN'T it?"

Andria

• Like Like x 1
  7. CarolT

CarolT Super Member ECF Veteran

Feb 22, 2011
    Madison WI
    It doesn't have to go into your airway to affect the bitter taste receptors. And I'm surprised it doesn't occur to you to vape it if you want it to!:D

8. AndriaD

Jan 24, 2014
    LawrencevilleGA
    Well, mostly because tonic isn't ejuice, and I have no earthly idea what it would do to a coil or atty.

I don't do "home cures" for my asthma; I use the medicine my doctor prescribes. Period. I don't want to die, nor end up in the hospital.

Andria

9. nopatch

nopatch Senior Member ECF Veteran

May 4, 2011
    India
    There used to be (Quite a long long time ago,perhaps) PG in some nebulizer solutions.

As of today PG is not in any regular nebulizer solutions.

ventolin inhalation solution has water, mostly.

This pg in inhalers and other asthma medication is a myth propogated by Ecig suppliers.It gained so much traction that a millions posts are made by ecig users repeating the myth.

10. nopatch

May 4, 2011
    India
    @nicnik, Nothing wrong in trying nicotine inhalers. One may never know.

• Like Like x 1
  11. nopatch

May 4, 2011
    India
    Actually it is not a bad idea, In my not so considered opinion :p. Since there is no heating water would probably make an excellent carrier for nicotine.

One has to take care of nicotine overdose, though.

12. AndriaD

Jan 24, 2014
    LawrencevilleGA
    They took out the PG, huh? Weird. I figured the PG was why it was so vaporous; can't imagine what it would be like now.

Andria

13. CarolT

Feb 22, 2011
    Madison WI
    The tonic is mostly water. There are some old posts about using water in e-juice. It seems like small quantities are ok (20%).
    https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/threads/water-and-e-juice.304408/
    Sugar might be a problem due to caramelization.
    https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/threads/sweeten-my-ejuice.138980/
    So maybe the diet version?
    http://www.shopwell.com/faygo-diet-tonic-with-quinine/diet-soda/p/7380000201
    Or this TFA - Cappuccino flavoring has quinine in it already.
    https://www.myfreedomsmokes.com/tfa-cappuccino.html

14. CarolT

Feb 22, 2011
    Madison WI
    My mind wandered back to this subject, and I thought: What if the quinine e-cig actually worked to relax the airways of a person having an asthma attack? Would the EMTs on a breathing call give the victim an e-cig? Now that would be an e-cig really, not just rhetorically, saving someone's life! And how big of a cow would the FDA have about it! This is interesting, and somebody who has asthma ought to check it out.

• Like Like x 2
  15. AndriaD

Jan 24, 2014
    LawrencevilleGA
    If there was something actually vapable (not soda water!) that contained quinine, I might actually try that out. But, thanks to the FDA, I can no longer buy quinine in the supplements section, it has to be prescribed by a doctor -- I use to buy quinine in capsules, for my leg cramps, but at some point it disappeared from the shelves; when we asked a pharmacist about it, he said the FDA had decided that quinine, in large quantities, must be prescribed, not OTC. I guess it worked too well, and was undercutting BP's profit margin on prescription drugs. :facepalm:

Andria

• Like Like x 3
  16. CarolT

Feb 22, 2011
    Madison WI
    You must have missed my last link, which says "Or this TFA - Cappuccino flavoring has quinine in it already." Read the ingredients.
    https://www.myfreedomsmokes.com/tfa-cappuccino.html

17. AndriaD

Jan 24, 2014
    LawrencevilleGA
    Cool! I'll give it a whirl, next time I'm ordering TFA flavors! Thx! But I wonder if the bitter factor of quinine would still apply, with all the sweetener and cream flavor I add to anything-coffee-flavored?

Andria

18. CarolT

Feb 22, 2011
    Madison WI
    I'm sure it would still work, because while you're aware of the overall flavor, the bitter receptors are only "aware" of the bitter flavor. Sort of like, it only takes one GOOD chemical.

• Like Like x 1
  19. sofarsogood

sofarsogood Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Oct 12, 2014
    I started diy a couple weeks ago. Great success so far. I got only one flavor, the one you mention. How do I find the list of ingrediants? It's shocking how inexpensive DIY is and especially since I prefer my simple one flavor to any pre mix I've tried.

20. Kent C

Kent C ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jun 12, 2009
    NW Ohio US
    At that link - last line in 'Details':
    Ingredients:Natural & Artificial Flavor, Propylene Glycol, Water,Quinine Hydrochloride

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.