"It only takes ONE bad chemical"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jman8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Wisconsin
I hear this a lot and I think its a bit silly. Yes, PG is used in inhalers but no one is using an inhaler anywhere close to what people are vaping. You take longer drags more frequently and are inhaling much larger amounts than anyone would get just using an inhaler. It could very well be that its okay in those small infrequent amounts but bad for us in the amounts we vape for an extended period of time. We just don't know yet. We don't really know anything yet it could turn out that any one of the ingredients used in ejuice are harmful. There is no concrete evidence about any of it yet.

Tempted to start a thread based on the "we don't know yet" mentality. Most of what needs to be said on this type of mentality has already been stated. Some good points like all the devices that exist in other areas of technology would all be in category of "could be harmful to us, we just don't know yet."

But my main reason for wanting to start the thread is related to a thread I started awhile back. The topic being that I as vaper do not get colds anymore. In previous thread I started on that topic, there were many like me. Now, it could be a bad thing (somehow) to not get colds, and that could (somehow) impact the body over a long period of time. But it seems like it would be challenging to argue that colds are a good thing and/or that when we treat colds now, as non-vapers, we are possibly doing similar things to our body that vaping does, albeit far less effectively.

But I do know that vaping has lead to me having less colds. Therefore, it is possible that over the long term vaping is seen as entirely beneficial to our bodies. And given the colds thing, it is actually more reasonable to assume it is beneficial than it is harmful, given that to date we have zero incidents of reported harm of the significant kind. Say 15 years from now, no one has been hospitalized from vaping in the way vaping is intended to be used. Will we still be saying, "need more time to determine if this is truly something that doesn't significantly harm us?" Plus, what if 15 years from now someone like me has had zero colds over the last 20 years, when the previous 20 years before that (some of which I was cold turkey non-smoker), I was averaging 2+ colds a year?

Kinda seems like as (ex)smokers both within our community and outside of it, we are expecting to be harmed in a significant way over the long haul. Yet, I think it is about time to consider possibility that maybe vaping on the whole is beneficial to a person's health, and start spreading that message via word of mouth, now that FDA has taken things to another level.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
Tempted to start a thread based on the "we don't know yet" mentality. Most of what needs to be said on this type of mentality has already been stated. Some good points like all the devices that exist in other areas of technology would all be in category of "could be harmful to us, we just don't know yet."

But my main reason for wanting to start the thread is related to a thread I started awhile back. The topic being that I as vaper do not get colds anymore. In previous thread I started on that topic, there were many like me. Now, it could be a bad thing (somehow) to not get colds, and that could (somehow) impact the body over a long period of time. But it seems like it would be challenging to argue that colds are a good thing and/or that when we treat colds now, as non-vapers, we are possibly doing similar things to our body that vaping does, albeit far less effectively.

But I do know that vaping has lead to me having less colds. Therefore, it is possible that over the long term vaping is seen as entirely beneficial to our bodies. And given the colds thing, it is actually more reasonable to assume it is beneficial than it is harmful, given that to date we have zero incidents of reported harm of the significant kind. Say 15 years from now, no one has been hospitalized from vaping in the way vaping is intended to be used. Will we still be saying, "need more time to determine if this is truly something that doesn't significantly harm us?" Plus, what if 15 years from now someone like me has had zero colds over the last 20 years, when the previous 20 years before that (some of which I was cold turkey non-smoker), I was averaging 2+ colds a year?

Kinda seems like as (ex)smokers both within our community and outside of it, we are expecting to be harmed in a significant way over the long haul. Yet, I think it is about time to consider possibility that maybe vaping on the whole is beneficial to a person's health, and start spreading that message via word of mouth, now that FDA has taken things to another level.

I can even name a precedent for something like this -- I used to glug down about a gallon of Pepsi a day. Then I switched to tea, and promptly starting knocking back about 10 huge mugs of black tea daily. I figured my insides must be black, that I was doing myself equal harm with all that tea. Then all this "anti-oxidant" hooraw started -- turns out, tea is a powerful anti-oxidant, so rather than doing myself harm, I was probably doing my body some good. Then someone says "but green tea (which I hate!) has 5 times more anti-oxidants than black tea" -- to which I replied, ok, but I'm drinking at least 5 times more black tea than a whole lot of people, so... equal benefit. :D

Now of course, most of my tea consumption is decaf... but I bet it still has all those anti-oxidants.

Andria

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
Addiction is a powerful thing...The mythical ANTS lurk in every corner; a product of the delusions that the world revolves around vaping...
Well, if Satan GlANTZ is a mythical creature, I'll go with this...

minotaur.gif

Not sure which mythical creature Simon Chapman is though...

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
I'd choose Vladimir Harkonnen from Dune. Kinda looks like him too :lol:

687474703a2f2f696d6733342e696d616765736861636b2e75732f696d6733342f3832372f656575312e6a7067

Especially that huge belly. The very NERVE of that man, lecturing ANYONE about anything health-related! Pot, kettle, black!

Andria

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA
I hear this a lot and I think its a bit silly. Yes, PG is used in inhalers but no one is using an inhaler anywhere close to what people are vaping. You take longer drags more frequently and are inhaling much larger amounts than anyone would get just using an inhaler. It could very well be that its okay in those small infrequent amounts but bad for us in the amounts we vape for an extended period of time. We just don't know yet. We don't really know anything yet it could turn out that any one of the ingredients used in ejuice are harmful. There is no concrete evidence about any of it yet.
I'm aware of all of that, and should've at least pointed that out, too. I was merely trying to correct a misstatement, but in the context of the discussion, my picky correction was unnecessary.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
Then why is it listed as an ingredient?

Although I know for a fact that PG is an ingredient in liquid albuterol, used in nebulizers, I'm not sure it's in a regular inhaler. Nowadays, those use hydrofluoroalkane as the propellant. I suppose it might be in some of the OTC inhalers.

Andria

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA
Although I know for a fact that PG is an ingredient in liquid albuterol, used in nebulizers, I'm not sure it's in a regular inhaler. Nowadays, those use hydrofluoroalkane as the propellant. I suppose it might be in some of the OTC inhalers.

Andria
I read your post, then looked up ingredients in nicotine inhalers. No PG in them. I guess I confused them with the mists and sprays. I often see people saying it's in inhalers, but I guess they're wrong. Maybe it used to be in inhalers, I don't know.

@nopatch
Thanks for correcting me.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
I read your post, then looked up ingredients in nicotine inhalers. No PG in them. I guess I confused them with the mists and sprays. I often see people saying it's in inhalers, but I guess they're wrong. Maybe it used to be in inhalers, I don't know.

@nopatch
Thanks for correcting me.

I think it's that people who don't use them, don't really understand the difference between an inhaler and a nebulizer. A nebulizer is an electrical device; you put liquid albuterol in it, and wear a mask while using it, and there is quite a bit of visible vapor. Inhalers really don't have any visible vapor, just the quick spray into the mouth/throat.

Andria

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA
I think it's that people who don't use them, don't really understand the difference between an inhaler and a nebulizer. A nebulizer is an electrical device; you put liquid albuterol in it, and wear a mask while using it, and there is quite a bit of visible vapor. Inhalers really don't have any visible vapor, just the quick spray into the mouth/throat.

Andria

Now that I've learned nicotine inhalers don't have much of anything in them but nicotine and menthol, I've gotten more interested in trying one. I don't like menthol, so that's a problem.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
Now that I've learned nicotine inhalers don't have much of anything in them but nicotine and menthol, I've gotten more interested in trying one. I don't like menthol, so that's a problem.

Ick, I don't either, so maybe it's all good, that my doc couldn't prescribe them to me. I'd have taken one blast and realized what a waste of money it was.

I started smoking when I was not-quite-14... the summer I turned 16, I switched from menthol to non, forever. Once you actually get used to the taste of tobacco (I switched to winstons), menthol is just gross. Of course now I don't even like the taste of tobacco, I'd rather vape sweet fruity stuff.

Andria

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA
Ick, I don't either, so maybe it's all good, that my doc couldn't prescribe them to me. I'd have taken one blast and realized what a waste of money it was.

I started smoking when I was not-quite-14... the summer I turned 16, I switched from menthol to non, forever. Once you actually get used to the taste of tobacco (I switched to winstons), menthol is just gross. Of course now I don't even like the taste of tobacco, I'd rather vape sweet fruity stuff.

Andria
I smoked menthols for a few years but got to not liking them, and I don't like vaping menthol. I think they don't make nicotine inhalers without it because they need something for covering up a bad taste, maybe a plastic taste, not sure. And menthol is the only flavor that certain people have decided is safe enough for inhaling.

The inhalers are way too expensive and I think are prescription, but there's gotta be a way of refilling them. I think I've read of people doing it. Maybe inhalers are easy to make.

choochoogranny

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2013
chattanooga, tn, usa
Boy, oh boy, have I been mistaken, Andria. Hopefully, I can get this straight.

Nebulizer = mask, vapor and albuterol.... which has PG in it.

Inhalers = use hydrofluororalkane which you spray in mouth......no PG.

My problem is figuring out what to call QuickMist, a nicotine spray used in England and Canada. It's list of ingredients includes PG and VG. I need to look up nicotine inhalers used in U.S.

Think I shouldn't confuse asthma treatment applications with nicotine replacement applications? Gad, got to do more research!

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
I smoked menthols for a few years but got to not liking them, and I don't like vaping menthol. I think they don't make nicotine inhalers without it because they need something for covering up a bad taste, maybe a plastic taste, not sure. And menthol is the only flavor that certain people have decided is safe enough for inhaling.

The inhalers are way too expensive and I think are prescription, but there's gotta be a way of refilling them. I think I've read of people doing it. Maybe inhalers are easy to make.

See why BP hates vaping so much. :D To hell with our health, they have their PROFITS to consider! :facepalm:

Andria

Reactions: nicnik

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
Boy, oh boy, have I been mistaken, Andria. Hopefully, I can get this straight.

Nebulizer = mask, vapor and albuterol.... which has PG in it.

Inhalers = use hydrofluororalkane which you spray in mouth......no PG.

My problem is figuring out what to call QuickMist, a nicotine spray used in England and Canada. It's list of ingredients includes PG and VG. I need to look up nicotine inhalers used in U.S.

Think I shouldn't confuse asthma treatment applications with nicotine replacement applications? Gad, got to do more research!

Yeah, I got real familiar with nebulizers, both after my son was born and I had to have 3 days of "breathing treatments" after 15 mins of gen'l anesthesia for the c-sec (notice how I didn't need any breathing treatments after 45 mins of gen'l anesthetic for my appendix, thanks to 3.5 months of smoke-free)... and then later, the boy had "asthmatic bronchitis" and we had to buy one of those stupid nebulizers to use at home, whenever he'd start wheezing -- thank god we had good insurance then! Those machines cost a fortune, but the good insurance let us get it for a $50 co-pay.

I'm thinking the nicotine mist is more like an inhaler; an actuator that sprays it into the mouth -- the nebulizer, you fill, put on the mask, turn it on, and just start breathing, for like 10-15 minutes -- it's continuous, and there's a lot of vapor; you know you're done when the vapor dies away.

Our vaporizers are sort of a cross between them; they're electric, like the nebulizer, but with an "on-demand switch" so it's not continuous.

Andria

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
Most of my searches mostly come up with infomercial type stuff. Wouldn't they be a microbial playground without any PG or even VG or something? Just nicotine and menthol.

Probably a sealed container, vacuum-sealed, like aerosol cans -- the little albuterol canisters for my inhalers are like that.

Andria

Reactions: nicnik

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA
the nebulizer, you fill, put on the mask, turn it on, and just start breathing, for like 10-15 minutes -- it's continuous, and there's a lot of vapor; you know you're done when the vapor dies away.
I'd be surprised if that doesn't tempt people to try adding nicotine to them. On the other extreme, with vapor-free inhalers, they'd be good for dual use with vaping. Vaping where allowed, inhaling on the bus and in restaraunts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread